Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Suffolk 4x4 permit today... at $93 and $24 for the 3yr green key, it wasn't the cheapest day at the beach but we'll definitely be bringing our average cost down through the rest of the year. Very few people out today and we had the place to ourselves. Two things.. the compressed air wasn't working well so we had to refill using my compressor (which worked great!) and I saw the value in the auto-deflators. I'm not a big fan of crouching for 15 minutes to deflate the tires.. I'll definitely be picking up a set.

Thanks to jkl265, the architect and everyone else who helped a noob gear up for his first 4x4 day on the beach...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Take one of those fan sprinklers that move forward and back and stick it under your jeep for like 15
Minutes to get all the sand off the under carriage. How was the sand compact or really soft?

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grief24 said:
Take one of those fan sprinklers that move forward and back and stick it under your jeep for like 15
Minutes to get all the sand off the under carriage. How was the sand compact or really soft?
That's exactly what I did.. spent a good hour or two washing the Jeep from top to bottom.. esp the bottom. The sand was pretty soft around the entrance where it got the most traffic, but was a bit firmer a quarter mile down. Jeep handled great and we all had a blast

·
Registered
317 Posts
I spray the belly of my truck with WD-40 like once a month. Helps keep crap off the undercarriage. Great for the winter (salt& snow), and would work for sand protection too. I use like half a can every month

Jmo

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glen959 said:
I spray the belly of my truck with WD-40 like once a month. Helps keep crap off the undercarriage. Great for the winter (salt& snow), and would work for sand protection too. I use like half a can every month

Jmo
I got that advice once before but didn't take it. Makes sense though.. I'll give it a go before the next beach trip.

·
Sharp Shooter!
420 Posts
Did you take your family down to see the Harbor Seals (huge points). They have been hanging around the last couple of weeks. I took my wife to Smiths Point today, she really enjoyed watching the seals BIG TIME :)

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
Glen959 said:

Jmo
I would think that the WD-40 would act like glue for sand and salt.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bridge said:
Did you take your family down to see the Harbor Seals (huge points). They have been hanging around the last couple of weeks. I took my wife to Smiths Point today, she really enjoyed watching the seals BIG TIME :)
We did see a seal while we were out there, but it was a ways out and just saw the head bobbing up and down. Is there a place where they generally hang out?

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
I saw the value in the auto-deflators. I'm not a big fan of crouching for 15 minutes to
Told ya.. ;)

Sounds like you and the family had a terrific time!!!

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
356 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
Got my Suffolk 4x4 permit today... at $93 and $24 for the 3yr green key, it wasn't the cheapest day at the beach but we'll definitely be bringing our average cost down through the rest of the year. Very few people out today and we had the place to ourselves. Two things.. the compressed air wasn't working well so we had to refill using my compressor (which worked great!) and I saw the value in the auto-deflators. I'm not a big fan of crouching for 15 minutes to deflate the tires.. I'll definitely be picking up a set.

Thanks to jkl265, the architect and everyone else who helped a noob gear up for his first 4x4 day on the beach...
Pete- Looking forward to getting the families together for some beach time! Does that WD40 trick work? I'll be bringing a brand new Tahoe out and have some reservations about it....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.