Long Island Shooters Forum banner

SKS rifles from J&G Sales (PICS review...)

6K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  SURFER21 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So SKSs have been harder to get at decent prices, recently Classic had Yugos in VG-execellent cond for 400 or so, etc.

I took a chance on a few VG Type 56 Chinese SKSs from J&G Sales (a well established online outlet) and was pleased with the result. The price was about 300 thought it goes up and down depending on the stock and condition of stock on hand (currently I believe they have $325 though they had sub 300 gunsmith specials not long ago).

The description says do not excpect a cleaning rod though both the SKSs I received had one. They were overall in decent condition, the stock not quite as trashed as I expected though with plenty of wear, dings and scratches. The metal was surprisingly nice, the bayos in good condition and the bluing ok, better on one rifle than the other but good enough to keep as is. The cosmo was packed in thickly in the internals though the stock was ok (some kerosone, simple green, steam gun and hoppes no. 9 to do the trick).

I will soon be linking some pics including smaller files and full 6000x pixel files so you could see the condition and determine if this is something that might work for you. There is an excellent grade Yugo SKS above for comparison. I will update some more pics as I fully detail the rifles.

Full disclosure: I am not affiliated with J&G at all, but have had an account with them for many years (they are a well established online outlet). I have no idea what condition rifles you may potentially receive.

Military camouflage Camouflage Wood Textile Pattern

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Wood Air gun Shotgun Trigger Metal

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome deal .. I love me some SKS's - great rifle ... I love the 7.62 x39 round . Right now I have me enough SKS but I still get excited and think I need more when somebody starts talking about them .... Lol. Enjoy yourself big "D".

#9 ·
Destro's Cosmoline Cleaning Method

WIPE

1. Physically wipe down as much cosmoline from the gun using disposable rags or paper towels. Wear gloves. This is a good prep to get rid of the larger globs and thick layers.

SWEAT

2. Secure the rifle muzzle down in a large black contractor bag. You can then either hang it in a hot attic or on a warm sunny day hang it outside (solar oven). Once heated up the cosmoline will liquefy and drip downward into the bottom of the bag. You can intermittently wipe down the rifle and get into the nooks during this process.

Flowerpot Houseplant Automotive tire Plastic bag Bin bag

STEAM

3. This step can really be inserted at any point or skipped altogether. However hot steam cleaning will help liquefy the Cosmo line for quicker cleaner and sweat it out of wood stocks. A commercial product like a Shark hand steamer would work well for this purpose. However take care with the amount of steam applied (especially with wood stocks) and understand you are adding a lot of water into the mix so dry after cleaning and lube and protect the metal when done. Steaming works especially well on removed wood stocks.

CLEAN

4. You can go harsh or go green. The first would require a solvent, the latter a product like simple green.

Solvent cleaning works fantastic but is the harshest (to you and the environment). Always wear gloves, eye protection and a respirator and work in a well ventilated area away from ignition sources. True Cosmo line was meant to be cleaned with fuel. Supposedly one of the reason it is hard to find matching number Russian SKSs is that in the field they would just throw all the parts in a vat of diesel and reassemble them. Do not use gasoline, while effective the vapor flash is too much of a hazard. Kerosene would be the best bet (you can buy it by the gallon at Lowe's etc.) and Hoppes No. 9 is supposedly 90+% kerosene and it is included in other gun recipes like "Ed's Red" home brew bore cleaner.

I generally disassemble and spray down the parts with simple green and let them sit for a while, using rags/paper towels and a toothbrush. It often takes multiple "cleanings" and I finish up with Hoppes No. 9.

The internals were packed with cosmo.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Musical instrument accessory

Simple Green and Hoppes No. 9 effectively cuts through cosmo.
Wood Bottle Hand tool Tool Shotgun

Will update pics of finished, clean SKSs. J&G also had cracked stock specials for $20 less recently, unless you are going with a poly stock, I would actually pay the 20 extra since these were in better condition than I was expecting.

Attachments

#10 ·
It's been over a decade since I last cleaned Cosmo off a surplus gun but the technique I used was to get a 4' length of aluminum heating duct. Spray paint duct black. Rifle and stock inside (stripped) on blocks after an initial wipe down with purple power grease cutter. Leave in summer sun on hot day. Each night clean rifle by wiping down with purple power grease cutter. After 3 days it was hard to find any leftover cosmo and the stock didn't get that awful cosmo sweat later.

#12 ·
I would love a blonde stocked yugo SKS but for now it my China girl

#13 ·
So SKSs have been harder to get at decent prices, recently Classic had Yugos in VG-execellent cond for 400 or so, etc.

I took a chance on a few VG Type 56 Chinese SKSs from J&G Sales......
Nice SKS's - are they matching? I was in on the Volco Group Buy of Chinese SKS's, got a couple matching for $343 ea. out the door. I tried the garbage bag thing on a hot day but it didn't work at all. I ended up with a heat gun and a roll of paper towels in front of the TV at the range.

I have several Norinco's incl. a "paratrooper" short barrel version and a couple of Russians - was just bidding on an Albanian one but lost. I hear there's also E. German ones out there if you can find 'em.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
paratroopers are a hoot to shoot. It is one of my favorites to bring to the range.

Attachments

Reactions: Dan 0351
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.