Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Slomins and their lock in with a full service contract is $2.39. Any thoughts? If I lock in now and the price drops again I lose. The reason for Slomins is that I'm happy with their service, always been reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
have you tried CODfuel for prices?

They have a lot of dealers offering $1.73-$1.82/gal depending cash or credit.

Load up now.

I have natural gas, just curious, how much oil do people usually use in a winter?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Load up now.

I have natural gas, just curious, how much oil do people usually use in a winter?
My big thing is the service contract. I've been with Slomins for 30 years and they have never let me down as far as speed of responding to service calls. I also know how costly a service call can get with no contract, So, if I end up paying a few hundred more a year for that, I'm ok with it.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I locked in with Petro. First 150 gallons at 1.99, then a price ceiling of 2.33 for 12 months ( currently $2.08 ). Full service contract for $99 /yr ( but credited back $100 ) so basically free first year. I've used Petro in the past, and pretty reliable. Prices are decent and since I still haven't decided on a new boiler and possible new liner, I figured I might as well lock into something for now at least to cover the existing boiler etc.. Feel free to pm me if you want more info/#.

g/l

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I locked in with Petro. First 150 gallons at 1.99, then a price ceiling of 2.33 for 12 months ( currently $2.08 ). Full service contract for $99 /yr ( but credited back $100 ) so basically free first year. I've used Petro in the past, and pretty reliable. Prices are decent and since I still haven't decided on a new boiler and possible new liner, I figured I might as well lock into something for now at least to cover the existing boiler etc.. Feel free to pm me if you want more info/#.

g/l
That sounds pretty good too, but I called them back and gave them the "I've been a customer for 30 yrs" thing and they did lower it to $2.299/gal for 1 year. I thought it wasn't the worst thing so I went for it. From what I've heard it is supposed to go lower, but I'm sure there are many factors to raise it too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After my experience with Swezeys last year, I would never lock in again. Price dropped over $1.40/gallon and they refused to re-negotiate (I didn't expect them to drop it all the way down, but they could've worked with me between $0.40-$0.60 cents). I had to play this stupid game where I would "guess" when my next auto fill was, and call JC Discount to come fill up, and cut Swezeys out. Worked pretty well, as Swezeys next 2 fills were 6 gallons, and 2.8 gallons. They took the hint and sent me a letter, saying that "All the oil at my lock in price had been used, and they would now offer me the going rate"
Too little too late, you didn't want to play ball when I did, so I pissed on your mitt and went home, game over

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I've never been much on service contracts. I fix my own.
In 20 years, only problems (which are common) I've ever had were an electric zone valve and thermocouple go bad.
I always keep one of each on hand anyway. 10 minute fix and done.
But again, I don't know how much oil the average person uses a year.
A couple hundred extra for a service contract on an old boiler, yeah I guess.

I would still call the other companies and get comparable quotes.
30 years of loyalty on your part while commendable doesn't mean what it use to in this day and age.

edit- sorry, didn't see that you already committed.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts

Load up now.

Highly depends, just like with nat gas. Size of home, ancillary heating, energy efficiency, do you have a lot of heat sinks (skylights, full glass windows), etc. etc. This is one of the things (shoring up a home) that can really cut heating costs.

In the dead of winter during a real freeze I can go through a 250 gal tank in one week. We've had some rough winters the last few years. With all the wood I have on my property I'd like to put in a stove in one wing of the house or at least an insert in one of the fireplaces.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.