Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Should i have my AR archived for date purpose

1K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  hemi1500 
#1 ·
I called colt today as per recommendation of the FFL,,Colt told me my AR came back as a 92' as I knew it would. Should i get it archived from them so i can have the date info on paper,,,so if I am questioned,,i can show it to who ever might ask as well as the "date of purchase" paper i have

#3 ·
i don't need trouble,,,I bought my AR legally before this damn bill was signed...this S**t is very confusing...Any way like i said it's legal,,,was when i bought it,,but not now legal to buy."as per after the signing" .that why I was asking because i was told i should do it , cause "whoever" may ask cough....is not going to know what the hell date it was made..but i do...should i expect them to know that too,, and what...through osmosis ???

#7 ·
Date of manufacture is irrelevant (it mattered for the old AWB when pre-ban status existed). It is the date of your possession that matters for the SAFE Act. A receipt or bill of purchase should suffice. It really is not provable since many firearms were legally sold in private sales in NY without any receipts.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
from my understanding, its not that it says that preban doesnt matter anymore, its that they removed any wording from the ban that makes any mention of a grandfather clause. Because that clause no longer exists the year is irrelevant as long as you owned it before the new ban. ALL assault no sporting no military wait evil ughhh semi automatic weapons need to be registered. Okay i might be exaggerating slightly, ALMOST ALL semi autos need to be registered. point is, your grandfathering from prior ban is no longer effective.

Welcome to New America.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Preban is also irrelevant in that the registered ARs can have all the features your hearts delight--collapsable stock, removable brake, etc. whether they were made before or after 94. The old AW is out the door, and new definitions exist under the SAFE act, which is now the law of the land. They just needed to be in your possession prior to Jan 15, 2013 in order to qualify to be registered as an AW under the SAFE act. According to the state police hotline you can now put those features on your AW immediately if you intend to register it a year from now. Call the hotline or check out the faq on the gov page. This "grace period" is going to be a strange year.

#22 ·
1st off there's a million ARs in circulation. 2nd off Regi is going to be done by mail no one is goin to inspect your gun,,,,3rd according to there own wording,,pre/post ban is irrealvent. As of 2014 it's 1 category....you can do what ever you want to you gun,,,as long as lower is registered ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.