Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still a ways away, but I am looking into the process and equipment. I currently intend to reload only rifle cartridges of .223, 308, and 30-06. In the future if I pick up a Rossi in .357 this may change. I am not looking to churn out 1000 rounds a piece in a single Sunday. However, I also do not want to spend a Sunday reloading a hundred rounds spread out over thise cartridges, plus I expect to add more. I assume by the time I acquire the press I'll be into 4 different cartridges. I've seen the Dillon 550b on hickok45 videos, where he reloads rifle, but I have also heard reloading rifle on a single stage is better for accuracy. Right now the furthest shooting I do would be 200 yards, and maybe 300 once Calverton opens that up.

Knowing all that, what would you recommend to a beginner reloader? Suggestions of anything you deem relevant are appreciated.

·
Banned
2,611 Posts
i like dillon for pistol rounds. for super accuracy you would be better of with a single stage press .

but super accuracy requires a lot of work on your part. testing loads making sure everything is consistent with every bullet you make. different rifles also like different loads,

if you are shooting for fun choose a progressive do a few hundred in a hour or two and spend more time shooting.

either way you go is fine though

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i like dillon for pistol rounds. for super accuracy you would be better of with a single stage press .

but super accuracy requires a lot of work on your part. testing loads making sure everything is consistent with every bullet you make. different rifles also like different loads,

if you are shooting for fun choose a progressive do a few hundred in a hour or two and spend more time shooting.

Saw a tip that said on progressives, for large batches, checking the powder charge randomly to see any deviations over time can help insure against large variation in accuracy. Not sure how tries it is

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I do rifle on a single stage & pistol on a Hornady LNL. I don't shoot that much rifle so the extra time spent doesn't bother me.

You may want to look into a turret press. Kind of a mix of the 2.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts

You can crank out 1 moa ammo for 200 and 300 yards on a dillon 550 in .223 and .308

For my 600 yard ammo I used a single stage.

-Vick

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have the Lee turret press it seems to work pretty good loads fast enough for me so far. I like to stop and check periodically the powder charge. The priming system looked cheesy to me so i prime using the hand held lee which works real well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Buy a single stage press first and learn how to reload with it first. I have a Lee turret and basic Lee reloader press that I just use with a universal de-capping die. Lee makes decent good priced equipment and after you have been reloading for a bit you will be able to decide where you want to go next.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I third the Lee Classic Press....

Has 4 stations so has the separate crimping , works easily as a single stage by removing the twist rod... caliper change is seconds

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
I love the lee turret press, I can load up to .338 Lapua Magnum on it.
Buy a good scale

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
OK how do you know
Somewhere in the archives is a very long diatribe about me trying to set the press up. I would conservatively say that I spent over 40 hours and I don't even remember how much in spare parts trying to get that piece of s#it to work!
Right now that press is sitting in a box somewhere, and I don't want to know which box! Life is too short for that kind of frustration.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts