Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Shooting in PA without a license

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  emsjeep 
#1 ·
I have a Suffolk License and a PA Non-resident license to carry. Family has a house in PA which we always go to, just found out that there is a free range that the Pennsylvania Game Commission operates near by. My question is when I bring up my handguns, could my wife and cousins shoot my handguns (with me present) without a license, or are they only allowed to shoot long guns?  

#2 ·
I have a Suffolk License and a PA Non-resident license to carry. Family has a house in PA which we always go to, just found out that there is a free range that the Pennsylvania Game Commission operates near by. My question is when I bring up my handguns, could my wife and cousins shoot my handguns (with me present) without a license, or are they only allowed to shoot long guns?  

#9 ·
Dazzo said:
Yes. They can also Open Carry your handguns in PA without a LTCF and you may loan them to your family/friends to do so as long as they are not prohibited people. I would suggest that they get LTCF's or a Utah/Florida permit though. OC is not something to undertake without a good working knowledge of the law. PM me or visit PAFOA.org if you have specific questions.

How old are these people btw? All over 21 I assume?

#10 ·
Dazzo said:
Yes. They can also Open Carry your handguns in PA without a LTCF and you may loan them to your family/friends to do so as long as they are not prohibited people. I would suggest that they get LTCF's or a Utah/Florida permit though. OC is not something to undertake without a good working knowledge of the law. PM me or visit PAFOA.org if you have specific questions.

How old are these people btw? All over 21 I assume?

#11 ·
Question:

I was under the impression that "technically", no one other than you as the license holder (Nassau Cty in my case) can touch/handle your handguns and to do so would be in "violation" (for lack of a better word)of your license (even if you happen to be in a state with laws like PA).

#12 ·
Question:

I was under the impression that "technically", no one other than you as the license holder (Nassau Cty in my case) can touch/handle your handguns and to do so would be in "violation" (for lack of a better word)of your license (even if you happen to be in a state with laws like PA).

#14 ·
milspecnsn said:
Question:

Failure to safeguard the firearm would result in your revocation, if you let someone else use it and they run off with it. In Nassau, if that other person had a license and handled your firearm they would not be criminally liable, but might be subject to a suspension or revocation. If the other person didn't have a license then they would be illegally in possesion of the item and that is a no-no. I don't see anything that prohibits you from loaning it to a friend/family member in a place where your New York State license isn't worth the paper its printed on. If that person then stole your firearm, then yes, maybe that would be a failure to safeguard it.

The PLS people are generally very nice and will put up with imperfection. They seemed genuinely concerned about the problems and concerns I have brought to them. Their hands are tied in some cases, and fearing them is the safe thing to do, but I wouldn't let that stop me from having fun in PA.

#13 ·
milspecnsn said:
Question:

Failure to safeguard the firearm would result in your revocation, if you let someone else use it and they run off with it. In Nassau, if that other person had a license and handled your firearm they would not be criminally liable, but might be subject to a suspension or revocation. If the other person didn't have a license then they would be illegally in possesion of the item and that is a no-no. I don't see anything that prohibits you from loaning it to a friend/family member in a place where your New York State license isn't worth the paper its printed on. If that person then stole your firearm, then yes, maybe that would be a failure to safeguard it.

The PLS people are generally very nice and will put up with imperfection. They seemed genuinely concerned about the problems and concerns I have brought to them. Their hands are tied in some cases, and fearing them is the safe thing to do, but I wouldn't let that stop me from having fun in PA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.