·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Yikes!

and Big Ox, You called it!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just goes to show addiction can happen to anyone anywhere. Hopefully this guy can get the help he needs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The mods can't say it because they need to be neutral, but I will. This OP seems to go out of the way to start these posts and then sits back to watch the fireworks. Why, I ask.
Then I read the OP's signature. Quite impressive. Every certification you can get, including Arrest Authority! Wow, I know I'm impressed. Wait, everything except a real badge that is!

I wonder if the OP posts these stories just to embarrass the police because maybe she couldn't be one? I don't know, I'm just wondering.

Let the posts begin! :)

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Being a security guard does not give one arrest authority. Every citizen already has arrest authority. In NY you can arrest anyone for any offense committed in your presence.

NYS CPL

§ 140.30 Arrest without a warrant; by any person; when and where
authorized.
1. Subject to the provisions of subdivision two, any person may
arrest another person (a) for a felony when the latter has in fact
committed such felony, and (b) for any offense when the latter has in
fact committed such offense in his presence.
2. Such an arrest, if for a felony, may be made anywhere in the
state. If the arrest is for an offense other than a felony, it may be
made only in the county in which such offense was committed.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
sherm66 said:
Being a security guard does not give one arrest authority. Every citizen already has arrest authority. In NY you can arrest anyone for any offense committed in your presence.

NYS CPL

§ 140.30 Arrest without a warrant; by any person; when and where
authorized.
1. Subject to the provisions of subdivision two, any person may
arrest another person (a) for a felony when the latter has in fact
committed such felony, and (b) for any offense when the latter has in
fact committed such offense in his presence.
2. Such an arrest, if for a felony, may be made anywhere in the
state. If the arrest is for an offense other than a felony, it may be
made only in the county in which such offense was committed.
When it's done by a civilian the officer would place into custody the subject.The civilian must return to the PD and say I'm placing you under arrest and sign the accusatory instrument which is required by the court.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
BBJ said:
The mods can't say it because they need to be neutral, but I will. This OP seems to go out of the way to start these posts and then sits back to watch the fireworks. Why, I ask.
Then I read the OP's signature. Quite impressive. Every certification you can get, including Arrest Authority! Wow, I know I'm impressed. Wait, everything except a real badge that is!

I wonder if the OP posts these stories just to embarrass the police because maybe she couldn't be one? I don't know, I'm just wondering.

Many are just buffs,in the police academy officers would talk about how they would encounter buffs the security guard or volly who couldn't get in the PD because of some unknown reason.There the ones to watch out for because they always stop to tell you hey I just saw a 10-34 suspicious person or call in a 10-20 vehicle.Many times you do here an insult from these buffs that cops do nothing get paid all this money to sit in the car on the side of the road.

·
Clinger
4,824 Posts
BBJ said:

I like the sound of this

·
Banned
151 Posts
Now my long winded post disappeared ...... WTF!!!!!!! :computerhit

Any body ever hear of the Military "go Fast Pills" or "stay awake Pills" pilots take on long trips ..... whats the difference?

MAJOR TROLLING GOING ON HERE!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
hunter won said:
When it's done by a civilian the officer would place into custody the subject.The civilian must return to the PD and say I'm placing you under arrest and sign the accusatory instrument which is required by the court.
Feel the power! I've been medic'ing in Nassau a little over 15 years now. I've never heard of it being done...ever.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Because I was bored I looked up what the powers of arrest are in Virginia for a Security Officer.

They can arrest shoplifters. That's all.

§ 9.1-146. Limitation on powers of registered armed security officers.

Compliance with the provisions of this article shall not itself authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or exercise any powers of a conservator of the peace. A registered armed security officer of a private security services business while at a location which the business is contracted to protect shall have the power to effect an arrest for an offense occurring (i) in his presence on such premises or (ii) in the presence of a merchant, agent, or employee of the merchant the private security business has contracted to protect, if the merchant, agent, or employee had probable cause to believe that the person arrested had shoplifted or committed willful concealment of goods as contemplated by § 18.2-106. For the purposes of § 19.2-74, a registered armed security officer of a private security services business shall be considered an arresting officer.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
There is a "crimes" subforum here for "out of state crimes", so why is a member here being attacked for posting a link to one?

And why are you guys all over somebody's sig? Maybe it sounds a litlle boastful, and I didn't put "NRA Member, Certified HFS and Certified Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer" after mine because it has about as much significance as a degree from diploma mill would have in academic circles, but I have seen plenty here who do, so what?

"Armed Security Officer with arrest authority" sounda a little bit mall-cop (Gecko45, anyone)? But so what? You are going to look up another state's law to see if they are lying in their sig line? Well, SydneyH's sig line says "with arrest authority". And it looks like under the state law there is specifically enumerated authority for armed guards to arrest shoplifters. Add to that that it could be a felony arrest in the event of grand larceny and now you have authority for felony arrest. Is that impressive? I dunno- doesn't do much for me, but I'm not looking up the state law in order to try to tear somebody down over their sig line.

Can we return to the topic? Sounds like that Sheriff got in a little suspiciously too- I wonder if they reopen the "suicide" of his political opponent to rule out the possibility of foul play, given that his political adversary apparently had a drug connection, there was apparently some favoritism shown towarsd meth dealers as evidenced by the lack of arrests, and drug dealers are know to kill people that stand in their way with some degree of regularity?

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In Virginia, an officer is permitted to make an warrantless arrest in a public place for a misdemeanor or felony committed in her presence and for a felony not committed in her presence, if the officer has probable cause to believe a felony has been committed and the arrestee committed it. By statute, Virginia allows warrantless arrests to be made for certain specified misdemeanors such as shoplifting, carrying a weapon onto school property, brandishing, assault and battery (including domestic violence), destruction of property, and theft of a vehicle.

Sydney

sherm66 said:
Because I was bored I looked up what the powers of arrest are in Virginia for a Security Officer.

They can arrest shoplifters. That's all.

§ 9.1-146. Limitation on powers of registered armed security officers.

Compliance with the provisions of this article shall not itself authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or exercise any powers of a conservator of the peace. A registered armed security officer of a private security services business while at a location which the business is contracted to protect shall have the power to effect an arrest for an offense occurring (i) in his presence on such premises or (ii) in the presence of a merchant, agent, or employee of the merchant the private security business has contracted to protect, if the merchant, agent, or employee had probable cause to believe that the person arrested had shoplifted or committed willful concealment of goods as contemplated by § 18.2-106. For the purposes of § 19.2-74, a registered armed security officer of a private security services business shall be considered an arresting officer.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I wasn't checking a lie. Nor was I attacking. And the poster above me was noting a posting trend. Not attacking. Out of curiosity, pursuant to the citizens arrest tack the thread took, I was looking to see what powers of arrest are conferred upon a Virginia Security Officer that makes it worthy of being a brag point. Again, a resident of the State of NY has more arrest powers without any special confering of a certification by a governmental entity. That's the vein of my comment; that it is indeed nothing special at all. As to making one's "authority" a bragging point, that's the OP's call. She's proud of it. You yourself(Capt. Mitchell) said it was kinda mall ninja-ish a la Gecko45. I'd tend to agree with that. If cops run about bragging about there arrest or use of force abilites they certainly would get called on it as egomaniacal, and I'd agree with that too.

The bottom line is that just as much as the content of anything I or anyone posts here is fair game for discussion, I don't see anything about a sig line makes it out of bounds for discussion. If members here can't take some constructive criticism(or heat) from peers about something you wear on your shirt sleeve, don't wear it.

I'm sure there are hundreds of members here with CVs that if put into a sig line would crash the servers. What can I put in my line? I can paralyze you with meds? I'll intubate you if you give me the chance? I can legally cut your clothes off when medically indicated? If someone is impressed with themselves and wants the world to know, let it fly as long as you can take the heat when someone asks about it.

·
Clinger
4,824 Posts
sherm66 said:
I wasn't checking a lie. Nor was I attacking. And the poster above me was noting a posting trend. Not attacking. Out of curiosity, pursuant to the citizens arrest tack the thread took, I was looking to see what powers of arrest are conferred upon a Virginia Security Officer that makes it worthy of being a brag point. Again, a resident of the State of NY has more arrest powers without any special confering of a certification by a governmental entity. That's the vein of my comment; that it is indeed nothing special at all. As to making one's "authority" a bragging point, that's the OP's call. She's proud of it. You yourself(Capt. Mitchell) said it was kinda mall ninja-ish a la Gecko45. I'd tend to agree with that. If cops run about bragging about there arrest or use of force abilites they certainly would get called on it as egomaniacal, and I'd agree with that too.

The bottom line is that just as much as the content of anything I or anyone posts here is fair game for discussion, I don't see anything about a sig line makes it out of bounds for discussion. If members here can't take some constructive criticism(or heat) from peers about something you wear on your shirt sleeve, don't wear it.

I'm sure there are hundreds of members here with CVs that if put into a sig line would crash the servers. What can I put in my line? I can paralyze you with meds? I'll intubate you if you give me the chance? I can legally cut your clothes off when medically indicated? If someone is impressed with themselves and wants the world to know, let it fly as long as you can take the heat when someone asks about it.
...and you call yourself a Reflexive Contrarian...

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
That's not the way I read it- BJJ's post in #6 and yours in #7 appeared critical of the OP re: what was in her sig line. Now maybe, that's not the way you intended it, but it certainly seemed that way to me. FYI I'm Captian Will, not Captain Mitchell, who is a completely different individual on here.

PS> Sherm66 if you are a medic, I would suggest in your sig: "License to Kill" ;D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Captain Will said:
There is a "crimes" subforum here for "out of state crimes", so why is a member here being attacked for posting a link to one?

And why are you guys all over somebody's sig? Maybe it sounds a litlle boastful, and I didn't put "NRA Member, Certified HFS and Certified Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer" after mine because it has about as much significance as a degree from diploma mill would have in academic circles, but I have seen plenty here who do, so what?

"Armed Security Officer with arrest authority" sounda a little bit mall-cop (Gecko45, anyone)? But so what? You are going to look up another state's law to see if they are lying in their sig line? Well, SydneyH's sig line says "with arrest authority". And it looks like under the state law there is specifically enumerated authority for armed guards to arrest shoplifters. Add to that that it could be a felony arrest in the event of grand larceny and now you have authority for felony arrest. Is that impressive? I dunno- doesn't do much for me, but I'm not looking up the state law in order to try to tear somebody down over their sig line.

Can we return to the topic? Sounds like that Sheriff got in a little suspiciously too- I wonder if they reopen the "suicide" of his political opponent to rule out the possibility of foul play, given that his political adversary apparently had a drug connection, there was apparently some favoritism shown towarsd meth dealers as evidenced by the lack of arrests, and drug dealers are know to kill people that stand in their way with some degree of regularity?
I made the post questioning the motives of the OP, so what?

This OP has been trying to create controversy ever since joining the site. There are 2 or 3 others who join her in the attacks. It appears that these people all joined at the same time. See the pattern? You don't see anything wrong with that?

I didn't do any research into her credentials, she posted them for all to see. On the surface, it looks like a bunch of high school kids trying to ruin a site, but check her age. Even for Virginia, that's a little too old to be in High School! :)

You used the term Mall Ninja, I didn't. But keep in mind, this person argued as to why the police weren't using trained security guards to assist in the Gilgo investigation. See anything wrong with that type of thought process?

Instead of worrying about getting this thread back on topic, how about weeding out the instigators and trolls, and getting this entire site back on track. Lets talk about the sport of shooting on L.I., or the Appleseed Project, or getting our 2nd amendment rights back.

I never heard of IDPA or USPSC until I started reading LIF. Now I participate whenever I can. That's what we should be getting back to, not posting negative stories about one specific group every chance she gets.

Enjoy the sport, maybe I'll see you at the range someday! ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.