Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have to be places to find some nice whitetail sheds out in suffolk county. Does anybody have advice on where and when to start looking? Or tips in general?

I've never found anything good, but I'm not usually out in the woods in the early spring and never went out with finding antlers as a goal. This year I'd like to change that.

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
There have to be places to find some nice whitetail sheds out in suffolk county. Does anybody have advice on where and when to start looking? Or tips in general?

I've never found anything good, but I'm not usually out in the woods in the early spring and never went out with finding antlers as a goal. This year I'd like to change that.
In January upstate is the best time if there is no snow. Look in open fields along a fence or rock wall. In the spring Turkey season guys would find sheds.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm hoping to do a spring turkey hunt upstate this year, so I'll keep an eye open for them.

No good spots out in Suffolk? I guess any large public land out there will do...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I think your grandfather meant Robert Moses State Park. (One more bridge to cross, lol.) Fire Island has tons of deer and some have pretty good racks. Tons of ticks too.

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
My buddies golden just started bring them home one day

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You have a better chance of finding them early in the year. Wait too long & the mice, squirels, opossums... will devour them.

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
You have a better chance of finding them early in the year. Wait too long & the mice, squirels, opossums... will devour them.
One of the locals was out in January finding antlers. This was Upstate when most bucks are dropping them. On Long Island, I have seen them in March still with racks. As you mentioned, the sheds won't last very long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts