Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you know someone that is serving our country, and you know what they are doing for Thanksgiving....Please share.

Memorial day is not the only Holiday that these men and women should be remembered.

Please, no pics/jokes or MEME's. Just a good, heart warming story of our servicemen/women during another holiday that they are away from home.

Thank You.
This should give us ALL yet another reason to be thankful.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Serving, especially overseas and more so during the holidays can be tough. The daily grind of mission first, patrols and watches at whatever time someone else decides and the wondering about how things are going at home takes a toll.
It is surprisingly valuable to spend a holiday with comrades in arms, people who are in the same place doing the same thing for mostly the same reasons you are...but are also incredibly different than you. I was a NY'er, a LI'er along with a few of the other guys but most were from...well, everywhere else. Fall River, Mass., Pocatelo, Idaho, Tuskaloosa, Alabama but we all felt the same void.
Most of us were 110% good with being deployed but it didn't stop the wanting to be back home with our families and friends. A lot of smiles and a lot of tears but no regrets.
I think about the men and women serving everyday, that's me. On a holiday I try to be more aware and more thankful for who and what they are, hard working, well trained, committed young Americans doing what 98% of American cannot or will not do.
My family and I wish everyone serving a Happy Thanksgiving, a safe journey and a quick return home. Thank you to their families too for their sacrifices, it is the whole family who serves, not only the person wearing the uniform.
Thanks for the reminder Joe.

·
Banned
2,554 Posts
Serving, especially overseas and more so during the holidays can be tough. The daily grind of mission first, patrols and watches at whatever time someone else decides and the wondering about how things are going at home takes a toll.
It is surprisingly valuable to spend a holiday with comrades in arms, people who are in the same place doing the same thing for mostly the same reasons you are...but are also incredibly different than you. I was a NY'er, a LI'er along with a few of the other guys but most were from...well, everywhere else. Fall River, Mass., Pocatelo, Idaho, Tuskaloosa, Alabama but we all felt the same void.
Most of us were 110% good with being deployed but it didn't stop the wanting to be back home with our families and friends. A lot of smiles and a lot of tears but no regrets.
I think about the men and women serving everyday, that's me. On a holiday I try to be more aware and more thankful for who and what they are, hard working, well trained, committed young Americans doing what 98% of American cannot or will not do.
My family and I wish everyone serving a Happy Thanksgiving, a safe journey and a quick return home. Thank you to their families too for their sacrifices, it is the whole family who serves, not only the person wearing the uniform.
Thanks for the reminder Joe.
VERY well said.
GOD BLESS our military/veterans and all they do and did for our troubled nation! Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Grand Poobah
21,170 Posts
Here's an email I got forwarded to me from my GF about what the American Legion post in Babylon is doing today for active duty personnel & Veterans.
I immediately replied asking what do they need? Her answer, "Nothing. Just thought you'd like to know."

All Active Duty Military ( and their Families & Friends) as well as All Service Veterans (and their families and friends) are WELCOMED to : ( no one will be turned away)

Thanksgiving day festivities. American Legion Hall 22 Grove Pl, Babylon, NY 11702

Starting at 11:00 am, with dinner served at 3:00 pm.

No RSVP needed, but appreciated.

If anyone needs a ride or if anyone would like to donate anything please contact

·
Walker1847
12,106 Posts
Today, as you gather with family and friends to share laughter and make new memories, please remember that for many families, whose loved ones serve in the Armed Forces, this year's celebration will not be complete. A familiar voice will not be heard and a chair at the table will remain empty because, they have someone far from home.
So, those of you who are blessed to be with your families, please remember in your prayers the homes that have an empty chair at the table and also offer a special prayer of Thanksgiving and ask Blessings for the brave men and women of our Armed Forces, whose service and sacrifice will make the world a better and safer place.

A very special prayer for those homes that have an empty chair that will forever remain vacant, may their sacrifice not have been in vain.
Happy Thanksgiving To All.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts