Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
NEEDS TO GO THREW YOUR FFL AND THE SMITH NEEDS A FFL ALSO
THE SMITH NEEDS TO RETURN YOUR GUN (PISTOL) TO YOUR FFL
100% incorrect.
If it's a pistol you already own, you can ship it out for repair/upgrades without an FFL.
It can then be shipped directly back to you without going through an FFL.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I sold several pistols out of state. Just shipped them 'common carrier' with tracking. SCPD PLB said it was OK to ship a pistol direct to an FFL. Just brought a copy of the licensee's FFL and copy of the shipping receipt and they took the pistols off my license. Now, UPS United Parcel has told me they ONLY accept firearms for shipment for "repairs". FedEx would only accept firearms if you paid the next day air (highest) rate, adult signature required. When I sent my Springfield .45 pistol back for repair, they sent me a pre-paid Fedex label, and advised me not to use a drop box, but hand it to a clerk and get a receipt. They said it is NOT legally required to advise FexEx what is in the box (since it is not an explosive nor an aerosol or anything else that regulations prohibit from going air). FedEx sent MY firearm back directly to ME, as I understand to be legal. It is legal to send your firearm (Fedex or UPS, tracked) to an FFL gunsmith. I believe it is legal for him to return it directly to you. NO US Mail, no how no way......

Reactions: raceradam

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...
5,857 Posts
If you MAIL a pistol, you're breaking the law. Not MAIL, must SHIP. https://www.atf.gov/file/3871/download
Nonsense! I put my Glock 21 in a #11 envelope with $30 in stamps on it in my mailbox to send it in for a recall! Hmmmm, it's been over a year though and I haven't heard from Glock. Maybe you're right!

On a serious note. You can ship a handgun directly to a licensed smith and they can ship it directly back to you. I have done it several times. UPS and FEDEX have different rules about which level of shipping to use. You have to check with them.

·
Banned
7,706 Posts
No need for an ffl. Let's not provide wrong information. FedEx or UPS most require one day shipping, unless they have a special agreement (S&W, Wilson Combat and others can be shipped with 2 day service). USPS can only be used by FFLs. I've shipped multiple pistols for service without FFL. I received them back straight to my house.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like I found another to "ignore " as I can misinform myself all by myself, thank you very much.
Anyway, I mailed, yes MAILED, my Taurus to Taurus USA for a warranty repair a couple of years ago from my own post office in Matzahpizza. I believe Taurus used FEDEX to send it back to me a couple of weeks later.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I went to this recently with Nassau. If the pistol keeps the same serial number coming back, then no need to go through dealer. Otherwise, the pistol needs to be disposed of through a dealer and the new pistol acquired from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Ignoring the NY rules for a moment, the ATF says you may not ship a handgun via the Post Office, if you are not a licensed dealer. You must use Fed Ex or UPS etc. A dealer can use the post office for a handgun, this is addressed in another area of the rules. Both Fed Ex and UPS post their rules on their own websites, and the NY rules can take another thread entirely. This is from the ATF website:

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee (FFL) in any State, with no requirement for another

licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal

Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped

to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received

without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient's State of residence. FFLs may also

return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C.

§ 922(a)(2)(A)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.