·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I wish you guys would make the distinction between the M-1 Garand and the M-1 Carbine, you got me all excited and running inside to count the change in my penny jar.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
I wish you guys would make the distinction between the M-1 Garand and the M-1 Carbine, you got me all excited and running inside to count the change in my penny jar.
Minor point, but it is "M1" no dash.... And to make your life a little less stressful, normally when someone says "M1" they mean a Garand... When talking Carbine they say "M1 Carbine" (just something I've noticed)

Damn.... they're getting crazy with the bidder premiums!. 17.5% on top? that's nuts. ...Just saw one recently that was a 20% commsion - stopped me from bidding. (and I'll bet it kept the price down too)

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
This rifle should go for well over $1 million.
A short list of other JFK stuff and what it sold for in 1996:

The oak rocking chair used by President Kennedy in the Oval Room sold Friday evening for $453,500
JFK's MacGregor Woods golf clubs for $772,500
A a leather desk set for $189,500.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Man, that is one beautiful rifle. I had to come back to this thread to take another look. I never saw a Garand that was blued and polished like that. And OH, the furniture!!

I have no idea but by itself, I'm gonna guess that a National Match rifle like that is worth at at least 5-10 grand. With the provenance of the letter and JFK's signature, it has to be in the stratosphere. I could see it going for ten times that. Maybe 6-figures.

Some interesting info here about late 1950s NM Garands. Scroll down.
http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
JFK was an NRA member if I recall correctly.

Reactions: BLAMMO

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -JFK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.