Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I had a question in regard to building an HK-94, A2 configuration (fixed stock, standard hand guard, 16" barrel).

My most immediate question is - is it legal to build in NY (SAFE Act concerns).

From my understanding, any semi auto rifle with a detachable magazine cant have any evil feature (pistol grip, collaspible stock, bayonet lug, etc), otherwise it will be classified as an Assault Weapon and can't legally be owned in NY.

With the HK-94 in question, I would either have to fix a magazine in place, or remove the pistol grip? As with my AR-15, I would rather fix the magazine, but I'm not entirely sure how much clearance the HK-94 receiver has for reloading.

The AR can be reloaded by just dropping the rear takedown pin, swinging the upper over, and loading the magazine from the top. I'm not sure how this would work with a HK-94, since the mag well is connected to what I would conscider to be the 'upper' receiver. Can a HK-94 be loaded from where the cartridge casing would eject from?

I also had a question about magazine's. I know I can purchase 10 rd mags, but if I'm going to fix the magazine in place, I might as well have it look scary with a 30 rd mag, with a 10rd mag block. Does a mag block (device meant to limit the magazine capactity to 10) have to be permantly attached to the magazine? Should I ever have to repair the magazine, I need to be able to dissassemble it, and if a mag block is installed i wouldn't be able to? Or should I just stick with a 10 rd mag.

I would like to start ordering parts and getting tools together for this build, but I want to be sure that I can make it compliant so I don't have any problems at the range.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
If I were you I would give a good, respected LGS a call or stop in for expert guidance with your questions. A place like DSI would be who I would talk to. They can probably set you up with all the parts you would need as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
The HK9x series have very deep and reinforced magwells. Reloading a fixed mag would no doubt be a problem.

A better solution is to use a "bullet button" system. HK features a push button mag well release and there are commercial versions already for sale such as the Raddlock. HKparts net carries them.

Note with a bullet button there are some who view that as NY compliant and others do not. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Wow....I'd be pretty hesitant to start hacking a genuine HK94. I've seen them go for $5000 on GB. Top-loading a fixed-mag MP seems to me would require quite a bit of cutting and reinforcing the receiver.......

Here's two consecutive - and only for $60,000 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=494764980

EDIT: I just re-read your post; you're BUILDING one. What brand? There's an HK parts kit on GB for almost $2000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!

C6NY - It was my plan to order everything from hkparts.net, bend and weld the receiver, press the barrel, and so on and so forth. I still need to look into a)how many parts need to be US made for 922r compliance or whatever, and
which parts I want to be original HK and which aren't as important. I'll look into DSI - I've never needed a gunsmith yet (always managed to mcguyver something in the end) but this project may require such assistance.

M1014 & class3 - Crap, I figured as much with the clearance. The bullet button is definately something I looked at, as I did the same for my AR, but in the case with my AR, I epoxied the button hole so I wouldn't have any akward moments at the range swapping out a magazine. Even I can't argue with the logic of 'if you're able to remove the magazine, its a detachable magazine', especially if no further dissassembly of the rifle is required.

O1SalsaX - I wouldn't say useless, but definately unsafe!

I think the only actionable step I have left is to get the receiver flat and the trigger housing, and see exactly what I have to work with, before I start dropping serious money on parts. I would prefer to retain the pistol grip and have a fixed mag, but only if it doesn't hinder the use and operation of the firearm (which I could also say for keeping the detachable mag and removing the pistol grip).

Although, long term, it would be easier to swap out the trigger group housing then modify the upper receiver, ya know should the laws change (lol) or the apocolypse is upon us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan 0351 - I was planning on getting everything from hkparts.net - the receiver flat w/ bending jig, a semi auto trigger pack/housing, A2 fixed stock, standard handguard, cocking tube, etc etc.

I'm aware that this is more complicated then launching humans into space, but I've never been good at doing easy things.

+5k is not something I can just easily drop on a firearm, but I can manage buying 400-600 worth of parts every now and then.

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,801 Posts
What are you really trying to accomplish? A 9mm carbine or do you really like the look of the HK94 and it just happens to be 9mm? We have a big announcing coming later this week that might impact your plan.
I am hoping this announcement involves 9mm AR parts. I need an upper.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Reactions: heartlessmcfly

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Just an fyi, if you have never done any gunsmithing (and i dont mean installing new sights or putting together an ar lower), this is probably not the build to start with. And unless you get some crazy good deals, that 400-600 in parts will easily be double that. I don't mean to discourage you, and I don't know your skill level, just don't want to see anyone waste alot of money on a box of paperweights.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Last time I checked it's a whole lot more than $600 in parts to build an HK94 clone, closer to $1500+.

The receiver flat can be bought for $150 or so but you need a jig to bend it properly ($200 or so), and it needs to be welded.
The barrel needs to be pressed in using a large press (iirc 60 ton press minimum).
The bolt carrier group will cost $450 easily if you buy HK.
Lower and trigger pack can cost another $400-$500, parts alone.
Genuine HK parts are not cheap.

As others have said, I don't know your skill level or tools that you possess, but it definitely is not a first-timer build.
There are companies that build them (or fix other people's builds) and it can cost thousands to be done properly.

Much cheaper to buy a used one if you live outside of NY.
Still have to deal with making it compliant though.

Best of luck.
I'm curious if you'll proceed with this build with all of these limitations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My intention is to build a 9mm carbine. I'm aware I could go the AR route, but given the chance to build a semi-auto mp5 variant, I'm gonna go with the mp5.

I appreciate the concerns in regard to jumping in the deep end, especially with a build like this... I've known that from the start. I originally started researching this 2-3 years ago and was aware up front this is not an easy build and is highly discouraged by everyone.

To quote myself, "+5k is not something I can just easily drop on a firearm, but I can manage buying 400-600 worth of parts every now and then."

What I meant was that if I spend 400-600 every month, up to the point that I have all the parts, that is something I can more easily do. Unfortunately the company I work for has hkparts.net blocked, but from memory I recall that each major componenet will run me anywhere between $400-$600. I expect to pay, in the end, around 2k just for parts - which is still significantly lower then 5k.

To answer the skill level questions - I'm a radio frequency technician by training (so I'm good with electronics and computers), and I have some experience using a mill and lathe. I've never done welding, although I has been on the list for some time. In terms of 'gunsmithing' skills - short of the Roggio Arsenal stripped lower that I had to basically redrill all the holes and retap the buffer tube thread, and finally made sure if fit properly with the BCM upper I purchased, I have very little expereince (thank god the mag well was milled spec!)

This project is something I hope to finish by the end of the year, or sometime early 2016. Aside from the parts, any other major investment would be a 20 ton press and a welder. If I can rent or buy time on someone else's machines, I will - but if need be, I'm willing to purchase the equipment and store it at a friends workshop.

I beleive the youtube handle was TacticalPursuit, or something like that, in which the person goes over the process of building a mp5 from a receiver flat, so I'm familiar with what has to be done and to be honest, I'm not to worried. Bending the flat and pressing the barrel is what I feel will be the easies. Given that I've never welded before, that I have some reservation about, but it's not something that will close me off to this project.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
You'll still need a 16" barrel on top of the $2k in parts too.
HK's are not cheap, even to build one. wow.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=497169998
An MKE is much cheaper than the HK parts kit.
I don't know how you'd get a local FFL to modify the rifle to be NY compliant.

Maybe we are overlooking the simple fix..
Can you disable the gas system so it's single shot?
Or at least doesn't cycle to pick up the next round.
Then you can go full featured with detachable mag since it is no longer a 'Semi-automatic with detachable mag'
Only issue is cycling the charging handle after every shot.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Can you disable the gas system so it's single shot?
Or at least doesn't cycle to pick up the next round.
Then you can go full featured with detachable mag since it is no longer a 'Semi-automatic with detachable mag'
Only issue is cycling the charging handle after every shot.
Cocking and slapping an HK bolt at every shot sounds very very unpleasant.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.