Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Sharp Shooter!
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused as to how I should sell a bolt action rifle to my friend in CT? We see each other often both here and there. Options listed in order of preference:

a) Do a private party transfer in CT.
do a private party transfer in NY.
c) Go togethet to an FFL in CT with the rifle.
d) Ship to his FFL?

· Registered
1,136 Posts
I sold a rifle to a friend in NJ (I live in PA as you know). I did it through an FFL to FFL transfer. The gun was purchased by me when I lived in NY. I wanted no problems in case the gun ends up in trouble. The friend was gifting it to his dad who is in Louisiana.

Since the gun was papered to me I felt I had to protect myself. YMMV

· Banned
3,887 Posts
In the event that you are denied or temporarily denied an authorization number by the SLFU, you may contact the office for an explanation. (860) 685- 8494.

Private Sale of Firearms

Pistols and Revolvers
Federal Law states you may only buy a handgun in the state in which you reside.

You can only buy a handgun in Connecticut, if in addition to being a resident, you have a valid Permit to carry Pistols or Revolvers, a valid Eligibility Certificate, if you are a licensed Firearms Dealer or if you are a Sworn Police Officer.

A DPS-67-C and a DPS-3-C (4 copies) must be completed. The seller of the handgun must contact the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 and obtain an authorization number for that sale. This number is to be added to both forms. The DPS-67-C is to be retained by the seller for 20 years. The seller should retain the original copy of the DPS-3 for their records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides and submit a final copy to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection.

Rifles and Shotguns
Effective April 1, 2014, per CGS Sec. 29-37a(c), no person may purchase or receive any long gun unless such person holds a valid long gun eligibility certificate issued pursuant to section 29-37p, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection 9 (
of section 29-28, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (2) of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to section 29-36f.

No such sale, delivery or other transfer of any long gun shall be made until the person, firm or coorporation making such sale, delivery or transfer has insured that such application has been completed properly and has obtained an authorization number from the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection for such sale, delivery or transfer. This sale authorization number can be obtained by calling (860) 685-8400 or by calling Toll Free (888) 335-8438. In additon to the above, the seller may not sell to anyone under 18 years of age, or to anyone the seller knows is prohibited from possessing firearms.

Assault Weapons

Section 53-202a of the Connecticut General Statutes gives the definition, and an itemized list of what weapons are considered Assault Weapons.

Definition. (1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:

List of Assault Weapons

Newly defined Assault Weapons:
Any newly defined assault weapon that was lawfully purchased on or before April 4, 2013, but was not transferred by that date, may be transferred pursuant to such lawful purchase and a sales authorization number may be obtained for such transfer. Sellers are required to verify that a lawful purchase occurred on or before April 4, 2013 prior to transferring such firearm.
Proof of lawful possession will also be required by DESPP from the owner of the firearm with the Application for Certificate of Possession of Assault Weapon. Forms are currently being developed for this purpose.

Who may possess Assault Weapons in Connecticut?

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I sold a rifle to a friend in NJ (I live in PA as you know). I did it through an FFL to FFL transfer. The gun was purchased by me when I lived in NY. I wanted no problems in case the gun ends up in trouble. The friend was gifting it to his dad who is in Louisiana.

Since the gun was papered to me I felt I had to protect myself. YMMV
Do you use a car dealer to protect yourself when selling an automobile to a private party.

If it's leagl to sell it all you need is a signed bill of sale.
No reason to kiss the antis butt and be scared of a legal transaction.

· Banned
3,887 Posts
Do you use a car dealer to protect yourself when selling an automobile to a private party.

True true ^^^ I love those states .... Just know the laws

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts

The auto sale is not a very good comparison. The auto was registered, the rifle wasn't, when you sell it you turn in your plates, signifying your surrender of the auto, the new buyer registers his new car, and has insurance to do so. The paper trail for an auto is done at DMV, for the rifle the FFL is like the DMV.

Reactions: NorthForkSportsman

· Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
Got it. Thanks. So he definitelly needs to use an FFL on his side. Which law prevents me (the seller) from handcarrying a rifle to his FFL rather than shipping it?
There is no law that prohibits this, so long as the rifle is legal wherever you're carrying it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.