Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning. If you are on blood pressure medication do not watch the video.

AP: Three security guards watched a group of teens punch, kick and rob a 15-year-old girl in the downtown Seattle Metro bus tunnel without intervening. Security video shows the guards call for help on their radios, but they don't go to the aid of the girl even as she is being kicked in the head. A dispute involving a group of 10 teens apparently started inside a department store the evening of Jan. 28 and moved to the bus tunnel at Westlake Station, where the girl was attacked.

Link to video:

http://www.breitbart.tv/caught-on-tape-seattle-security-guards-stand-by-as-teen-girl-brutally-attacked/

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is the problem in liberal strongholds..."Who is going to do something?" Proof positive of the ruling in Warren vs DC, that if a cop decides he/she has something better to do, you are basically ON YOUR OWN. Since then, most people in Seattle, Chicago, NYC and the like, have learned NOTHING!

That's why people carry concealed and that's why people in cities that are the opposite of the ones named get involved...because "Who is going to do something?" Don't get me wrong now, i don't advocate bringing a gun into play in a one on one fight, unless the skell pulls a knife or something or you're severely outnumbered and cannot get away...even then you roll the dice.

Though they are security guards and not law enforcement, they have no LEGAL obligation to intervene, however, you can bet you may see them on the unemployment line soon. If i were this girl's father i'd want 5 minutes with everyone involved, one at a time...especially the guards. Because had it been one of their daughters, they'd be ready to set Seattle on fire.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
The 'yellow-bellies' the cowards falsely wearing the (mythical) word "security" on their backs should be charged as accessories to the crime... They were aware, they had opportunity, they were able, but they did nothing to prevent it. Under the law (never mind common decency) they can and should be charged.

Next up, the idiot that wrote, the idiot that authorized, and all the idiots that signed the contract that said 'observe and report' Imagine what a nightclub here on LI would be like if security only 'observed and reported'!!!

Just as shameful are all the witnesses that stood by and did nothing.

Bad enough they stood and watched the girl get beaten, but to not even try to help her after the attackers left??? Inhuman.

Reading the comments it was interesting all the "time to get a gun and a CCW" comments...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
thats terrible, I hope the girl is ok and wasnt seriously hurt

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Parashooter said:
The 'yellow-bellies' the cowards falsely wearing the (mythical) word "security" on their backs should be charged as accessories to the crime... They were aware, they had opportunity, they were able, but they did nothing to prevent it. Under the law (never mind common decency) they can and should be charged.

Next up, the idiot that wrote, the idiot that authorized, and all the idiots that signed the contract that said 'observe and report' Imagine what a nightclub here on LI would be like if security only 'observed and reported'!!!

Just as shameful are all the witnesses that stood by and did nothing.

Bad enough they stood and watched the girl get beaten, but to not even try to help her after the attackers left??? Inhuman.

Reading the comments it was interesting all the "time to get a gun and a CCW" comments...
One aspect i completely forgot about. When i was a guard, my team and NYPD had good standing with one another...we call, they haul. They advised us that if we had to put an arm on someone, always give them a call and press charges because that helps if there's a legal backlash from what happened. Our company managers absolutely hated us getting physical, but hey, a hospital...dead smack in the middle of Bed-Stuy...ain't no such thing as "reasoning". Summers were like the WWE. We all had an average of 5 incident reports a night. It's clear that when these guards were in training, they heard the words Sue and Lawsuit about a hundred times. But we were told by our director to unlearn what they put in our head.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Maybe I've watched too many episodes of CSI or Hill Street Blues (now that was a great show), but I seem to remember something in the law that asks "What would a reasonable person do?" - in this case, is the reasonable response to stand back and let a crime unfold, or is the reasonable response to step in and aid. At the very least, these three men could have surrounded the victim, preventing her attacker from reaching her. I hope they catch the perps and send them away for a very long time. If they're lucky, maybe the insecurity guards can share a cell with them.

Dov

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,073 Posts
One of the concepts I've tried to impress upon my wife and teenagers is to NOT be lulled into a sense of security because there are "guards" or members of the general public around.  My earliest days in the subway system of Phlla. forced me to learn the hard way that no one will intervene in an assault, let alone raise a voice of concern.  You are on your own and should not take comfort because  you are in a crowded area.  

·
Registered
142 Posts
i was in retail management for over ten years at the smithhaven mall...and i had numerous incidences with shoplifting...ive been assaulted in my store..threatened etc..long story short i had a confrontation with a shoplifter and security was called...i had a 3 minute fight with two guys in my store while they stood by and called police...thank god i was able to defend myself..their policy was that as long as it happened indide the store and not in the mall area they could not assist!....this stands to this day!...the two men left with an unknown amount of merchandise...trashed half the store..one leaving with a possible broken nose and myself left very bruised and cut...

·
Sharp Shooter!
300 Posts
Just answer the following question: Who or What do they hire for Security purposes? 'Nuff said. "Doc"

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Why, Lord, do these things happen nowhere near where I am? Put the cuffs on me too, but when the cops got there I would have had that little ******* by her scraggly hair, and possibly some unconscious "friends" surrounding her.

I do not condone violence as a first line response, but faced with senseless violence like this, tactically applied violence is the tool I believe should be used back. Sometime the only way to show people how wrong it is to kick someone in the head while they are down is , well, kick THEM in the head while they are down. I would also use verbal persuasion too.

"You like kicking people in the head? You like this? I sure do, kicking you is FUN!"

And they should outlaw the use of the word "Security" on all security posts that just "observe and report".

Print a big "Observer/Witness" instead of Security.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Problem with the private security industry is that the standard is way too low and traing is just a sit in the class and take the written exam type. Many people are in it for extra income (2nd income or retirees to kill time) and people in transition from one job (or schooling) to another. Most of them could careless about the security aspect and don't want to get involved. Security companies also set the policy so that their officers are there as a deterence(?), observe and report.

Personal safety starts with you and this is the perfect example of you can't depend on others.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I feel that the security guards definately should have helped. Unfortunately they probably thought they would get sued or fired for stepping in. In all honesty they might have which is a horrible thanks for helping someone. I hate to hear stories of people defending themselves only to get in trouble for it. For whatever reason this always seems to happen to walmart employees.

Walmart Greeter Punched By Customer Gets Fired
http://www.wesh.com/news/22190479/detail.html

Wal-Mart fires employee for chasing after thief
http://www.ocala.com/article/20091021/ARTICLES/910211015/1402/NEWS

·
Registered
374 Posts
I won't defend the security guards. At the very least, they could have checked on the girl after the attack was over.

There are some interesting things mentioned in the video that shows the problem is MUCH bigger than just these idiot guards that refused to get involved.

Note what the police guy said: "You just don't see this kind of thing happening in Seattle..." Huh? It can and does happen everywhere. Why bury your head in the sand? Of course, he finishes the sentence with "... but it does happen." Even bigger HUH? Either it happens or it doesn't. This is the kind of bureaucratic mentality that set the stage for something like this to happen.

Another point - the guards are only to "observe and report." That is part of their CONTRACT. That means they are specifically trained to NOT get involved.

We train our police and military to react a certain way when trouble happens. Hopefully, after enough training they will overcome any natural or innate responses and fall back on the training. What happens when we train people to NOT react appropriately. Something unexpected like this happens and they fall back on their training - which is this case is to not get involved. Jobs are not easy to find these days... I look at the guard that walked away and thought he is the one with good survival instinct.

What they did is cowardly and wrong. That girl could be dead and the blood would be on their hands just as much as the aggressor. In the bigger picture, you also have to blame a city administration that REQUIRES these guards to do nothing because "this type of thing doesn't happen here."

What's just as wrong is hiring these "observers" and allowing them to masquerade as security guards. The victim obviously understood the dictionary definition of "security" and tried to use the guards for help. This false sense of "security" made things worse. If the victim had any idea the observers would not help, they probably would have kept moving and may have gotten away before the attackers arrived.

Perhaps is the city of Seattle approached Mayor Bloomeberg to expand his program to include feet - Mayors against guns AND feet - we could eliminate this type of violence and go back to having the government protecting us 24/7.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
This is a display of ANIMALS at their best.

Where's the "human" aspect to those "Security" guards???

What's also sad is if someone stepped in to break it up, it probably would have been called rascist. Pathetic, I hope the poor girl pulls through.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.