Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the legal, after incident insurance Second Call? A LEO friend suggested it as a backstop for prosecution and civil litigation.
I am concerned a prosecutor would look at it as a license to kill and play it that way.
Anyone have it or considering it?

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,448 Posts
Most of these services are pre-paid legal services, not insurance. The big down side is:
1) you never know if they're going to be there (still in business), if and when you need them,
2) you don't know who your attorney will be and
3) you have no idea, when you buy the service, what the qualifications of the attorney will be, if and when you need him/her.
As most of your know, from earlier discussions and threads, about this type of item, intentional acts are not legally insurable, anywhere in the US. However, having said that, liability, for unintentioanl acts, including use of a firearm, is included in the liability portion of your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy, absent a specific exclusion to the contrary. The insurance company will provide qualified legal defense and, if you're found guilty, pay the bill, up to the amount of the policy.
If you have any specific questions, which you don't want in the public forum, you can PM me.
Gary

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,002 Posts
The idea of insuring for a criminal prosecution arising out of a self defense gun use is kinda odd, and a risk that is so remote that you need to get some perspective.

First off, there are so many risks that are more likely to bite you: car accidents, flood loss, guest slip and fall at home, etc. Are you adequately covered for that? I'd rather buy another couple of million in an umbrella policy that buy wrongful shooting insurance. Other routine risks are much more likely to occur.

Is your retirement fully funded? Do you have really adequate life insurance? Its a guarantee you are either going to die or retire. Also, do you have disability insurance? You are certainly more likely to become disabled and out of work than to shoot a perp and get prosecuted for it. Most people wing it on disability insurance even though you are more likely to get disabled than die before age 65.

You really need the comfort of an asset to pay for a criminal defense? Start saving more in your IRA or 401k. In short order you will be able to self insure and tap this money to pay for the unlikely need for a defense lawyer of your choice. And if you never need the lawyer, its yours to spend later on. Essentially, don't buy the hype.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
You aren't going to be prosecuted or sued if you didn't do anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN????
Thanks guys. I was on the road and didn't see it right away.
but I did think the comment was a bit uninformed.

blue steel, I appreciate the help but I was told by more than a few LEO and lawyers that in NYC, Nassau and Suffolk, regardless of the evidence or the circumstances, you WILL be taken to jail, your guns WILL be taken away and the DA WILL go out of their way to make a criminal case against you for a good defensive shooting, even if they have to fabricate the evidence. That is even before the family of the armed and violent choir boy/aspiring rapper you justifiably shot, comes after you for their winning lottery prize.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Thanks guys. I was on the road and didn't see it right away.
but I did think the comment was a bit uninformed.

blue steel, I appreciate the help but I was told by more than a few LEO and lawyers that in NYC, Nassau and Suffolk, regardless of the evidence or the circumstances, you WILL be taken to jail, your guns WILL be taken away and the DA WILL go out of their way to make a criminal case against you for a good defensive shooting, even if they have to fabricate the evidence. That is even before the family of the armed and violent choir boy/aspiring rapper you justifiably shot, comes after you for their winning lottery prize.
Guys it was sarcasm....

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Never heard of this insurance (not sure if it's an April Fools joke or not but)........I have a Criminal Law Attorney on retainer and his contact info in my phone. If I'm involved in ANY "physical" situation, firearm or not, he's getting a call.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
It seems to me the definition of "intentional" is up for debate.

If you own a clearly defensive/non-hunting firearm is that "intent" to possibly one day shoot someone?

If someone does break into your home and you approach them with your firearm is that not showing an intention to the option of shooting them?

etc

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
blue steel, I appreciate the help but I was told by more than a few LEO and lawyers that in NYC, Nassau and Suffolk, regardless of the evidence or the circumstances, you WILL be taken to jail, your guns WILL be taken away and the DA WILL go out of their way to make a criminal case against you for a good defensive shooting, even if they have to fabricate the evidence.
That is probably one of the biggest loads of crap I have seen dumped in a post in quite some time here.

Edited to add...

But of course if you can point me to a case of a legit defensive, "good" shoot in NYC, Nassau or Suffolk where the victim was "taken to jail", lost all his guns, and(with the necessary collusion of the local police officers,, crime scene techs and detectives) had evidence completely fabricated to facilitate charges and a trial then I, of course, stand corrected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts