Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scrap Metal is down to 2 cents / pound. Now I know why I don't see the scrappers running my neighborhood every Sunday night.

I just dumped a washing machine, and I was shocked. It's not even worth the trip. Last time I was there, it was 10 cents.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I saved up a bunch of metal; old bbq, brake rotors, etc. The pile started to get a bit large so I loaded it up and went to the scrap place in Medford.
I had to stop twice because the bbq almost fell out of the back.
I get weighed and the guy tells me to drive up to this massive, twisted pile of metal. There is this maniac on a gigantic payloader driving around, the thing had these hard tires and forks, refrigerator parts and coat hangers sticking out of them and at one point an entire stove tumbled down the pile and landed 20 feet from me.

Ah, paydirt! Let me go collect my winnins. $18.50.
Wow, that was so worth it.

So now i'm driving home and my "LOW PRESSURE" indicator comes on. Off to the tire place I go with 3 large screws sticking in ONE tire. I mean, it couldnt even take out 3 tires, no-all 3 in one tire.
So I give the tire guy 12 bucks and i'm really thirsty and a soda cost $2.25 at 7-11.

I netted $4.25.

Those guys that drive around picking up metal are idiots.

·
Registered
152 Posts
During sandy I was scrapping and tin and Iron were 8 cents a lb. that's the highest they have been now it's dead. Only thing worth scrapping are stainless aluminum copper and brass. I paid for my truck in cash from hurricane sandy scrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
The guys driving Round are smart because they separate everything like I did. Motors in dish washers and washing machines at the time were 65cents. Separate all wiring. AC compressors are worth 45 cents plus the copper on them. Add all them up in barrels and I was pulling in about 2-400 a trip once every week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Prices all around dropped.. Copper, brass and all that aren't that high anymore. #1 copper is down to like 1.60 a lb. and you would be shocked at what some of these scrappers were making when it was at its prime.. First thing in the morning scrapping $400-600 everyday. These guys have routes they follow. Most are idiots but some make we're making a decent dollar... Don't expect the prices to go back up were they were for a while. If anything they are going to go down a bit more.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
Reactions: Captain Will

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
I saved up a bunch of metal; old bbq, brake rotors, etc. The pile started to get a bit large so I loaded it up and went to the scrap place in Medford.
I had to stop twice because the bbq almost fell out of the back.
I get weighed and the guy tells me to drive up to this massive, twisted pile of metal. There is this maniac on a gigantic payloader driving around, the thing had these hard tires and forks, refrigerator parts and coat hangers sticking out of them and at one point an entire stove tumbled down the pile and landed 20 feet from me.

Ah, paydirt! Let me go collect my winnins. $18.50.
Wow, that was so worth it.

So now i'm driving home and my "LOW PRESSURE" indicator comes on. Off to the tire place I go with 3 large screws sticking in ONE tire. I mean, it couldnt even take out 3 tires, no-all 3 in one tire.
So I give the tire guy 12 bucks and i'm really thirsty and a soda cost $2.25 at 7-11.

I netted $4.25.

Those guys that drive around picking up metal are idiots.
this is why i do not understand the guys that drive around picking things up. how much fuel are they burning to get all that stuff? some are driving old beat up pickups slowly, stop and go and got to cover a lot of ground to fill up the bed of the truck. i am amazed if they get enough to re fill their gas tank

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I don't drive around for it, I have it so that it comes to me. I work in the auto repair trade, and lately the prices they pay for scrap has been so low, I give my "mixed steel" stuff to the kids in the shop. I only save aluminum(heads, radiator cores, condensers), cast iron(mostly brake rotors), and batteries. I am NOT looking forward to my next trip to the yard, it seems I get less and less each time!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is cast iron worth more than steel ?? I always dumped my cast iron with the steel.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Is cast iron worth more than steel ?? I always dumped my cast iron with the steel.
Yeah, it is. They are not going to tell you, though! If you have both(not recommended) at the same trip, you go on the scale, hold up a sign stating what your going to dump, then get back on the scale, and hold up a sign for the next batch/type of scrap. I prefer to stockpile enough so I can take only one flavor of scalable scrap, per trip(i.e., all rotors, with a few batteries(to be counted)). More often than not, I've been rushed through to find that they count all as mixed steel(lowest price) even if you scale twice.

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,586 Posts
Scrap Metal is down to 2 cents / pound. Now I know why I don't see the scrappers running my neighborhood every Sunday night.

I just dumped a washing machine, and I was shocked. It's not even worth the trip. Last time I was there, it was 10 cents.
I gave up also a washing machine only brought $5. I did not waste my time pulling the motor. best to stock pile copper and brass.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.