Long Island Shooters Forum banner
481 - 500 of 517 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
What is IO? Investigator Officer?
I have not called anybody yet.
what do you say?
They told me 4-6 months, so I guess I still have 2 weeks before the 6 months runs out.
Yes, sorry, IO is your Investigating Officer, the officer you had your interview with.
If it helps, they should have given you copy of one of the forms you signed at your interview titled "Pistol License Applicant Handbook Acknowledgement" . In the paragraph after the list of 11 items, it lists your investigator, and their direct phone number. (At least mine did late last year.)

If you don't have that form or your IO's direct telephone number (you should have these), you can certainly call the main Suffolk County Police Department Pistol License Bureau (SCPD PLB) main number 631-852-6311, and ask for them by name. If you don't have their name (which I hope you do, lol), you can give the person who answers the phone your Applicant # (Mine was formatted C-######. This will be your license number as well, btw), and they can look up your IO and connect you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling to check the status of your license. Especially at this point of your wait, and considering the recent law changes. I have never heard of any IO having any problem answering questions like this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Given the current situation with SCPD i don't think they are in a hurry to do anything -- their website was "hacked" just prior to when the new handbook was said to be released . From my phone call this morning with SCPD they stated it could be weeks/months until the website becomes active again - So i believe that means no new handbook and no old handbook and ALL new applications must be obtained & submitted In person .

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,051 Posts
During last night's SCPD/FFL meeting, the license processing backlog question arose. SCPD's rep said they started the year with approx 7,800 pending license requests. They're down, to approximately 4,500, still to be looked at, with more coming, daily. Their staff is down, to 10, including the CO (a Lt), 1 Sgt, and the 2 staff members, who handle dealer licensing and audits. That leaves 6 staff, to handle handgun license processing and, now, the semi-auto rifle license processing.
Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, sorry, IO is your Investigating Officer, the officer you had your interview with.
If it helps, they should have given you copy of one of the forms you signed at your interview titled "Pistol License Applicant Handbook Acknowledgement" . In the paragraph after the list of 11 items, it lists your investigator, and their direct phone number. (At least mine did late last year.)

If you don't have that form or your IO's direct telephone number (you should have these), you can certainly call the main Suffolk County Police Department Pistol License Bureau (SCPD PLB) main number 631-852-6311, and ask for them by name. If you don't have their name (which I hope you do, lol), you can give the person who answers the phone your Applicant # (Mine was formatted C-######. This will be your license number as well, btw), and they can look up your IO and connect you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling to check the status of your license. Especially at this point of your wait, and considering the recent law changes. I have never heard of any IO having any problem answering questions like this.
Thank you so much. Very helpful information.
I did find the paperwork and yes, it has my applicant number, my IO's name a phone number.
I'm really bad on the phone and rather talk to people in person, so I think I'm going to wait until it's been 6 months and then I will definitely give him a phone call (then I fell I really have a legitimate reason to call).
But I appreciate you replying with helpful information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Given the current situation with SCPD i don't think they are in a hurry to do anything -- their website was "hacked" just prior to when the new handbook was said to be released . From my phone call this morning with SCPD they stated it could be weeks/months until the website becomes active again - So i believe that means no new handbook and no old handbook and ALL new applications must be obtained & submitted In person .
I heard the same thing from a friend that their website was hacked. Hope we wont all be getting doxed anytime soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth, and may save you a trip to Yaphank . . . There were just 2 social media posts on Dark Storm Industries Instagram page. One person that went to Yaphank was told they are up to processing applications that were submitted at the end of 2020. Another person was told they are processing applications that are about 18 months old. 2 very similar answers, so if you are in the November - December 2020 timeframe you may get your license soon. My wife falls into the December 2020 group. Interviewed March 2022.
So im wondering for someone such as myself who's waiting for a interview for a target permit should I apply for CCW as well or wait to Get target permit first???

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in Florida now. It's absurd that I can walk out the door every day carrying without a second thought in a state where I don't pay income tax but in NY I have to pay income tax for the privilege of being treated like a second class citizen. Total insane.
IS THE NON RESIDENT PROCESS LONG TO GET IN FLORIDA??? MAY GO TO GUNSHOW IN OCTOBER WAS THINKING TO APPLY THEN

·
Registered
186 Posts
IS THE NON RESIDENT PROCESS LONG TO GET IN FLORIDA??? MAY GO TO GUNSHOW IN OCTOBER WAS THINKING TO APPLY THEN
You can do it all thru the mail. You need a safety course that has live fire. The NRA basic pistol course will suffice. And you will need to take the fingerprint card to your local precinct to get fingerprinted as it needs to be done by a law enforcement agency.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
About 45 days. You can fill out an online application. They will send you fingerprint cards in the mail. You take the cards to local PD to get printed, get a passport size photo, printout the application, include proof of training (DD-214 if you're a veteran) and mail it all in.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can do it all thru the mail. You need a safety course that has live fire. The NRA basic pistol course will suffice. And you will need to take the fingerprint card to your local precinct to get fingerprinted as it needs to be done by a law enforcement agency.
I called Yaphank pistol licensing today. They made it clear to me that they are not accepting the NRA basic pistol training. I ask where you you get this training. She replied "You need to do your research on that. People are coming in every day to drop off their newly acquired NYS-approved training certificates."

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I called Yaphank pistol licensing today. They made it clear to me that they are not accepting the NRA basic pistol training. I ask where you you get this training. She replied "You need to do your research on that. People are coming in every day to drop off their newly acquired NYS-approved training certificates."
I believe that was an answer to the Florida non-resident license. Good to know about NYS though.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Makes sense. The NRA Basic Pistol class is half as long as the new training required by the CCIA. And the PLB can't necessarily recommend or refer you to anyone, so she was telling you without telling you that the classes are all over the place.

Personally I'm most impressed that you got someone on the phone and that people are able to go their in person. Are they also able to amend your license? or are they still tied up from the hack?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Makes sense. The NRA Basic Pistol class is half as long as the new training required by the CCIA. And the PLB can't necessarily recommend or refer you to anyone, so she was telling you without telling you that the classes are all over the place.

Personally I'm most impressed that you got someone on the phone and that people are able to go their in person. Are they also able to amend your license? or are they still tied up from the hack?

Yaphank is not honoring the NYS website question and answers:

When will I need to take the firearm safety training course?
Proof of completion of the firearm safety training course is required to obtain a concealed carry license on or after September 1, 2022.

Local licensing officers have the discretion to determine whether a portion or all of the firearms training requirement is satisfied for those applicants who completed a firearm safety course in the previous 5 years.

So with that highlighted, they are in violation of the Supreme court, the constitution, and their own standards. With all my training combined, I am well over the minimum NYS standard for training with live fire. Furthermore, as Gary Highlighted, Bruen also covers national reciprocity. I hold licenses in PA, Ut, CT, NH, Fl, and NY.

Hochul/Yaphank is not above the Supreme court and will be sued accordingly for overtly, willingly, and blatantly violating civil rights. Enough is Enough!

No amendment was made although they had no problem taking my check with Zero communication thereafter. Neither do they highlight which training agencies meet their standards. So, if we take a course we have no idea if it meets their standard for training.

I am waiting for this crap to be shut down in court. As for me, I believe this guy:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Folks:
On Friday, last week, I renewed my handgun license, at SCPD. The only thing I had to do was pose for a new photo. The license was renewed for a FIVE year term. When I asked about the new "handbook," I was advised that none currently exists. Draw you own conclusions, from that.
Gary
Did you receive your new license? Or do you need to wait for it to come in the mail? Curious as to if it now says "Premise" on it.

481 - 500 of 517 Posts