Long Island Shooters Forum banner
461 - 477 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth, and may save you a trip to Yaphank . . .

There were just 2 social media posts on Dark Storm Industries Instagram page.

One person that went to Yaphank was told they are up to processing applications that were submitted at the end of 2020.

Another person was told they are processing applications that are about 18 months old.

2 very similar answers, so if you are in the November - December 2020 timeframe you may get your license soon. My wife falls into the December 2020 group. Interviewed March 2022.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For what it's worth, and may save you a trip to Yaphank . . .

There were just 2 social media posts on Dark Storm Industries Instagram page.

One person that went to Yaphank was told they are up to processing applications that were submitted at the end of 2020.

Another person was told they are processing applications that are about 18 months old.

2 very similar answers, so if you are in the November - December 2020 timeframe you may get your license soon. My wife falls into the December 2020 group. Interviewed March 2022.
I applied 1/13/21 -- permit issued 6/23/22

·
Super Moderator
117 Posts
Not SCPD, but the Sheriffs Dept. A friend of mine dropped off his application last week. They told him that it’s about a 7 month wait now. That’s down from about 9 months recently. The Sheriffs must be stepping it up and cranking them out.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Not SCPD, but the Sheriffs Dept. A friend of mine dropped off his application last week. They told him that it’s about a 7 month wait now. That’s down from about 9 months recently. The Sheriffs must be stepping it up and cranking them out.
The Sheriffs office in the 5 East End Towns has an Investigator visit the applicant at his residence. Many upstate NY counties will canvass the neighbors. SCPD doesn’t. The background check delay was always from the state Department of Mental Hygiene which is required for every applicant for a pistol license.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The Sheriffs office in the 5 East End Towns has an Investigator visit the applicant at his residence. Many upstate NY counties will canvass the neighbors. SCPD doesn’t. The background check delay was always from the state Department of Mental Hygiene which is required for every applicant for a pistol license.
You have to give up your 4th Amendment rights to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights. Insanity!

Reactions: TJ Ironhorse

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow… did you get it through the Sheriffs office?
I had my interview 03/30/22 (SCPD) and still waiting.
I interviewed at police headquarters Yaphank . IMO they aren't really the best at keeping track of what's going on.

On 5/11/2022 I got an email claiming they were still processing October & November 2020 applicants due to the avalanche of new applicants

2-3 days later i got the phone call for an interview & made the first appointment i could

I called headquarters on 6/17/2022 (a few days before i received it in the mail) to get a status update and they told me it could take 4-6 months after my interview to receive any sort of decision . BUT it was already in the mail coming to my house

They are obviously not going in any type of order or system

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Had dinner with a large group of people last Saturday. One dumb ass stated how its too easy to get a gun license here. Well, it hit a nerve with me. I did remain polite, but had to say something.
I merely said, you think you know, but you are completely clueless about it. Went on too say, now isnt the time or place, but I would be happy to educate on the process. Finished with, stop listening to CNN or MSNBC, Or whoever you get your propaganda from.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had dinner with a large group of people last Saturday. One dumb ass stated how its too easy to get a gun license here. Well, it hit a nerve with me. I did remain polite, but had to say something.
I merely said, you think you know, but you are completely clueless about it. Went on too say, now isnt the time or place, but I would be happy to educate on the process. Finished with, stop listening to CNN or MSNBC, Or whoever you get your propaganda from.
They were probably referring to all the criminals with guns running around who clearly waiting 14+ months for their applications to get approved . An application & interview process that can only be completed/handed in during normal work hours mon-fri 9am-4pm so if you have a job and or kids during those times good luck. Forgot to mention you need 4 people to sign off on your application and sign in front of a notary which can be difficult enough trying to juggle schedules of 3 people you/signer/notary - and to complete the 4 notarizes signatures you are on a time limit of 30 days

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Sheriff's Dept has always issued faster than SCPD. I got my permit 5yrs ago from Sheriff's Dept. and waited 8 months start to finish. At the same time others were waiting 2 years from SCPD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Questionnaire submitted = Dec. 2020
First Call = February 2022
Interview = February 2022
License = In 2 weeks it will be 6 months since my interview. (SCPD)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else see that the Suffolk County Pistol License Handbook is no longer available? Site says that its currently being updated. I was working on my app but am going to hold off on doing anything until the new version is available.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Anyone else see that the Suffolk County Pistol License Handbook is no longer available? Site says that its currently being updated. I was working on my app but am going to hold off on doing anything until the new version is available.
Yea, they posted it was being updated a week or so ago. I imagine with everything being in flux given CCIA and the lawsuit currently filed against it there is going to take some time to come out with anything that is definitive for the long term. There was a lot in the old handbook that has been rendered unconstitutional based on the Bruen decision.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would submit the application ASAP in my opinion - do it online and get the notarized signatures later

461 - 477 of 477 Posts