Long Island Shooters Forum banner
421 - 440 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
My license arrived today!!
All things considered, I am rather pleased!

My final timeline:
10/2/20: Questionnaire and $10 received by SCPD.
11/3/21: I was called to schedule interview. (Note: When this call was received, my wife happened to be sitting next to me. I asked the IO if they would like to speak to my wife, as I understood that would eventually be part of the procedure. My IO replied "sure", so my wife got on the phone and answered the standard questions. I mention this because my wife did NOT receive any other phone calls after my interview. May have sped up the end process? Who knows?
11/17/21: Had interview. I was photographed, fingerprinted, signed some papers, answered some questions, handed in all four character references (completed, signed, and notarized). I was given the actual NY application to get signed by my four references (PPB-3, all filled out by SCPD, including the photo and finger prints).
12/7/21: Got the PPB-3 signed by references, and hand delivered it back to SCPD Yaphank. Told 4-6 more months of waiting.
3/28/22: License arrived in the mail.

Total time
: 17 months, 3 weeks, 5 days

I have no real proof, but I think I may have had a real good IO (nothing against any of the other IO's). From the time they called to schedule my interview until license in-hand was 4 months and 2 weeks. From the time I returned the signed off PPB-3 back to them until license-in-hand was 3 months and 3 weeks. It does seem that once my file was assigned to the IO's caseload, they took care of me in above average time. I called them to thank them, and expressed my appreciation (albeit by voicemail).

Yes, of course I continue to agree that almost 18 months is much too long, but for today, I choose not to beat that dead horse, and ruin my good mood!!
I'll accept that Covid and the extreme increase in applications played a very large part in the initial 13 month wait for an interview, like it or not. I'm focusing on the timeline my IO was able to achieve, and that I have my license in my hand!
Congrats man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
The wait period is simply not reasonable. I wonder out of thousands of applications has a permit been denied due to a bad reference? I say this because the references requirement and the “investigation” slow down the process. If references have never resulted in a significant number of denials why have the requirement?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
The wait period is simply not reasonable. I wonder out of thousands of applications has a permit been denied due to a bad reference? I say this because the references requirement and the “investigation” slow down the process. If references have never resulted in a significant number of denials why have the requirement?
From what I’ve heard, they will simply inform you to get another reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got this response from the PLB regarding current wait times. 🤦🏻‍♂️

“It could be more than 18 months before you hear from an investigator after questionnaire is received, after the interview, it's up to 6 months before license is issued”

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just got this response from the PLB regarding current wait times. 🤦🏻‍♂️

“It could be more than 18 months before you hear from an investigator after questionnaire is received, after the interview, it's up to 6 months before license is issued”
Sound like they may be in even worse shape then when I applied.
It took almost 18 months for me, start to finish. (10/2/20 to 3/28/22). They're telling you ~24 months +/-.
What I can tell you from my experience, and a few others that applied around the same time as I did, is that there seems to be inconsistency time-wise.
For example, one friend submitted his questionnaire a full month before me. He didn't have an interview until 2 months after my interview. He has not received his license yet. So, as of now, it appears it will take him 3 months longer than me, assuming his license shows up in the same amount of "time after interview" as mine did. If that turns out to take 6 months, he'll have taken 4-1/2 months longer than me.
Not fair obviously, but it is the reality.
I don't know how SCPD PLB works the waiting list in detail (I suspect no civilian does). I also don't know exactly how an "investigation" works or exactly what it entails (yes, many have a general idea, but I don't believe many civilians are privy to those details either ). What I do know, at least from a face-to-face conversation I had with a detective at SCPD PLB, is that the applications are supposedly assigned to IO's on a steady basis (e.g. each IO gets assigned a certain number of applications per week). How quickly each IO processes those applications, or how backlogged they get, apparently varies from IO to IO. Seems to me it varies A LOT.
The other thing that I was told (by more than one officer at PLB) is that the number of applications they have received in the past few years is unprecedented. At my interview one officer said it would be five years before they got back to "normal", whatever "normal" is.

I keep mentioning this, but every person I've ever spoke to at PLB has been very pleasant, professional, and easy to talk with. I admit I was not expecting that, but it is a pleasant surprise.

Unless you want to go get a lawyer and be the one who fights the whole process (good luck if you do, you'll have a LOT of fans), there isn't much to do but wait the wait (sorry, really).

Put it out of your mind if you can. If you think about it every day, that's just going to drag out your wait IMO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congratulations. I applied 09/2020 and interviewed 10/2021 and still waiting. Time to give them a call.
Yep, a call would be reasonable, but I can tell you this: I applied about a month after you, interviewed about a month after you, and just got my license on 3/28. I have a friend who applied right when you did, he had his interview about a month after I did, and he's still waiting too. The IO's work at very different speeds, could depend on the applicant's info too I suppose. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, a call would be reasonable, but I can tell you this: I applied about a month after you, interviewed about a month after you, and just got my license on 3/28. I have a friend who applied right when you did, he had his interview about a month after I did, and he's still waiting too. The IO's work at very different speeds, could depend on the applicant's info too I suppose. Good luck!
Just double checked my paperwork and my interview was 11/2021 not 10/2021.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Renewed last week(submitted paperwork)The young lady there told me the same as what is being said here....from beginning to end it's 2 years.
The renewal- as long a month but normally around 2 weeks.

Chin up People.

421 - 440 of 458 Posts