Long Island Shooters Forum banner
401 - 420 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
When did you sent in your application?
Had my interview today. Documents, fingerprints, etc.. Need to get character references signed, notarized, and returned. Was told that it could be another 4 to 6 months before license is sent out. They are working hard to get to everyone in Yaphank. They are dealing with a huge backlog of applicants.

Questionnaire submitted = Dec. 2020
First Call = February 2022
Interview = February 2022
License = TBD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had my interview today. Documents, fingerprints, etc.. Need to get character references signed, notarized, and returned. Was told that it could be another 4 to 6 months before license is sent out. They are working hard to get to everyone in Yaphank. They are dealing with a huge backlog of applicants.

License = TBD

License = TBD
Good luck. My interview was in October 2021 and I’m still waiting.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
The only reason SCPD hasn’t issued a Pistol license under 6 months is because nobody threatened to sue. NCPD for a short period of time was 3 months. I am sure SCPD can turn that around if a few applicants hire an attorney.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@NewYorker424 have I ever thanked you for this thread? If not, I'm thanking you now, lol.

I have an idea, what do you think? Maybe you could remove "2020" from the title of this thread, and change it to just "Pistol License Timeline"?
Since everyone waits well over a year (sometimes closer to 2 years), maybe putting a year in the title doesn't work?

I mean, I realize new threads could be started, but I began my process in 2020, and joined in the discussion on this thread. It's now 2022, and I'm still waiting, along with quite a few others from the "class of 2020".

This is a great thread, and I think it would be great to let it ride going forward without the 2020 tag. Hell, I think it should be stickied. Let new members find, read, and continue to contribute to this thread, and not let the "2020" in the title make them scroll on past. Just my opinion, it's your thread.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
@NewYorker424 have I ever thanked you for this thread? If not, I'm thanking you now, lol.

I have an idea, what do you think? Maybe you could remove "2020" from the title of this thread, and change it to just "Pistol License Timeline"?
Since everyone waits well over a year (sometimes closer to 2 years), maybe putting a year in the title doesn't work?

I mean, I realize new threads could be started, but I began my process in 2020, and joined in the discussion on this thread. It's now 2022, and I'm still waiting, along with quite a few others from the "class of 2020".

This is a great thread, and I think it would be great to let it ride going forward without the 2020 tag. Hell, I think it should be stickied. Let new members find, read, and continue to contribute to this thread, and not let the "2020" in the title make them scroll on past. Just my opinion, it's your thread.
I have tried a few times over the years to the edit the title of the thread but it’s not possible. I see a admin or mod did it already, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·

As I’m sure you know I applied for my pistol license in April 2020. I have no idea why it has taken you so long. It took me 11 months.

·
Registered
150 Posts
[/QUOTE]
As I’m sure you know I applied for my pistol license in April 2020. I have no idea why it has taken you so long. It took me 11 months.
Covid shutdowns, slowdowns, and a huge increase in applications is the best I can guess.
I do know my timeline is similar to others who submitted questionnaires around the same time.

10/2/20: Questionnaire and $10 received by SCPD.
11/3/21: I was called to schedule interview.
11/17/21: Had interview. I was photographed, fingerprinted, signed some papers, answered some questions, handed in all four character references (completed, signed, and notarized). I was given the actual NY application to get signed by my four references (PPB-3, all filled out by SCPD, including the photo and finger prints) .
12/7/21: Got the PPB-3 signed by references, and hand delivered it back to SCPD Yaphank.
Told 4-6 more months of waiting.
Assuming that clock started on 12/7, I'm at 3 months and 1 week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I finally got called for an interview. It's been 16 months since I sent in the application :oops:
A few questions...
  • Do I just put S.C.P.D. on the money order as I did on the $10 check?
  • Letter from wife, does it have to be notarized?
  • Do you need that notarized "Affidavit of Character Reference" from all 4 of your reference?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 · (Edited)
So I finally got called for an interview. It's been 16 months since I sent in the application :oops:
A couple of questions...
Yes to the money order, you do not need to provide a letter from your wife unless of course they told you to provide one. If so, yes I would definitely have it notarized. They call your wife right before your license gets final approval. I’d prefer the phone call because at least you will know when you are about to get your license.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few questions...
  • Do you need that notarized "Affidavit of Character Reference" from all 4 of your reference?
Directly from Pistol License Bureau webpage "A MONEY ORDER made payable to “S.C.P.D.” for $88.25". And I believe each and every official statement/affidavit needs to be notarized for this process...

·
Registered
150 Posts
A few questions...
About time....

Did they ask you for a letter from your wife? They did not ask me for one. If they asked you for one, I'd get it notarized just in case, can't hurt.
I brought all 4 affidavits (notarized) with me to my interview, but you do not have to do that. It does save a step if you have them done ahead of time. Typically SCPD will pick 2 of the 4 for you to get completed, signed and notarized. (and then returned to Yaphank)
You're going to be given your actual application (PPB-3) at your interview after they take your photo and fingerprints. You have to have your references sign the actual application, and then return that to Yaphank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes to the money order, you do not need to provide a letter from your wife unless of course they told you to provide one. If so, yes I would definitely have it notarized. They call your wife right before your license gets final approval. I’d prefer the phone call because at least you will know when you are about to get your license.

Thanks. He did tell me on the phone that I need to bring a letter from my wife that states that she is okay with me owning a gun and to have a gun in the house.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
Hey everyone, I added a gun to my license yesterday and I overheard a person dropping off an application being told that the wait is now officially two years to get a pistol license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey everyone, I added a gun to my license yesterday and I overheard a person dropping off an application being told that the wait is now officially two years to get a pistol license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I totally can see that being the case, as it appears it takes about 14 months just for an interview/prints now

·
Registered
150 Posts
My license arrived today!!
All things considered, I am rather pleased!

My final timeline:
10/2/20: Questionnaire and $10 received by SCPD.
11/3/21: I was called to schedule interview. (Note: When this call was received, my wife happened to be sitting next to me. I asked the IO if they would like to speak to my wife, as I understood that would eventually be part of the procedure. My IO replied "sure", so my wife got on the phone and answered the standard questions. I mention this because my wife did NOT receive any other phone calls after my interview. May have sped up the end process? Who knows?
11/17/21: Had interview. I was photographed, fingerprinted, signed some papers, answered some questions, handed in all four character references (completed, signed, and notarized). I was given the actual NY application to get signed by my four references (PPB-3, all filled out by SCPD, including the photo and finger prints).
12/7/21: Got the PPB-3 signed by references, and hand delivered it back to SCPD Yaphank. Told 4-6 more months of waiting.
3/28/22: License arrived in the mail.

Total time
: 17 months, 3 weeks, 5 days

I have no real proof, but I think I may have had a real good IO (nothing against any of the other IO's). From the time they called to schedule my interview until license in-hand was 4 months and 2 weeks. From the time I returned the signed off PPB-3 back to them until license-in-hand was 3 months and 3 weeks. It does seem that once my file was assigned to the IO's caseload, they took care of me in above average time. I called them to thank them, and expressed my appreciation (albeit by voicemail).

Yes, of course I continue to agree that almost 18 months is much too long, but for today, I choose not to beat that dead horse, and ruin my good mood!!
I'll accept that Covid and the extreme increase in applications played a very large part in the initial 13 month wait for an interview, like it or not. I'm focusing on the timeline my IO was able to achieve, and that I have my license in my hand!

401 - 420 of 458 Posts