Long Island Shooters Forum banner

SCPD has scheduled a meeting, with all Suffolk County-based FFLs, for Thursday, September 15, at 4pm.

4K views 55 replies 19 participants last post by  Peconic Paladin 
#1 ·
Folks:
SCPD has scheduled a meeting, with all Suffolk County-based FFLs, for Thursday, September 15, at 4pm. The purpose of the meeting is for SCPD to explain, as they understand it, what's needed to be changed and what's needed to be added, to dealer's procedures, under the still-valid CCIA. Right now, they don't have everything worked out and are working on getting it to make as much sense as possible.
More will follow, as I get the details.
Gary

#2 ·
I’ve been doing some “detective” work, behind the scenes and with “unofficial” sources. From what I’m hearing, the SCPD, the NCPD and the SC Sheriff’s Department are getting contradictory instructions, about what to say and do, almost daily, about the way the CCIA is going to operate, provided it isn’t stopped, dead, in its tracks, by an injunction.

Right now, much of the working staff (who, for the most part, are pro-2A) are saying that they’re feeling like punching bags, with everyone screaming, from different directions. Many people are correctly seeking answers, to legitimate questions, for which the licensing agencies don’t have consistent answers and others are issuing orders, to the licensing agencies, then changing, a few hours later or the next day.

For the moment, I have only one suggestion: sit back and relax.

There’s nothing any of us can do, unless and until one of two things happen: 1) the court issues an injunction (via NYSRPA v Bruen #2), freezing the enforcement of the CCIA (which is very, very likely) or 2) the CCIA is allowed to continue, as the “law” of the state (very, very unlikely).

If 1), above, happens, then we’re back to an unfettered Bruen decision, as our operating standard, unless the governor/state legislature engage in another hissy fit session. If 2), above, happens, then the arrests will start and the law suits, for intentional violation of Constitutional rights, will start to fly.

I expect we’ll know at least a little more, after the 9/15 dealers’ meeting, at SCPD.
Gary

#4 ·
Gary, these FFL workshops have been done throughout New York by NYSP to familiarize FFL dealers over the years.
The Governor is adamant about the Police enforcing the law.
Hard working business owners are now unarmed because of their business being a sensitive location.

#8 ·
IF You already have a pistol license, you amend it to add a semiautomatic rifle just like adding a pistol. I have already done this.
If you do NOT have a pistol license. "You can't". Anyone, go to your dealer, make a purchase, take your receipt and pictures and go to yaphank.... you'll be refused , and you'll have grounds to sue.

Reactions: 2edgesword
#13 ·
The meeting last night was discussed on the other LI forum by a very well respected ffl who also sells hardware store merchandise lol, all western Suffolk pistol licenses are automatically a rifle license, no amendment needed or will be given, all semi auto rifles will be registered and will be the exact same process it would be for buying a handgun. A third party company will be Handling the social media for cc upgrade. If you lie and say you don’t have any and they find out you do you lose your license for 5 years, if you fake a training certificate for the 16 hour u will be “locked up” as he put it.

#14 ·
Folks:
I’ve spoken with one of my contacts, who was there, last night. It seems that the main points of discussion were surrounding the semi-auto rifle license, the renewal status of handgun licenses and the required classroom/range course, for “unrestricted” handgun licenses.
Here’s what I came away with, from that discussion and these rules are applicable ONLY to the 5 Western towns of Suffolk. The Suffolk Sheriff’s Dept. and the NCPD will have their own guidelines, with no bearing on what SCPD is doing:
1) on or after 9/4/22: no one, under the age of 21, will be able to purchase a semi-auto rifle and no one, age 21 or over, will be able to do so, without either a valid NYS handgun license or a semi-auto rifle license. If you have a handgun license, the semi-auto rifle will be purchasable in the same way as you add a handgun to that license. If you do not have a handgun licenses, then you must apply for, then receive, a semi-auto rifle license, before you can purchase or touch any semi-auto rifle. There is NO EXCEPTION, for active duty law enforcement, who, although they can legally purchase a NY-defined “assault weapon” or a handgun, on the badge, can no longer purchase a semi-auto, non-“assault weapon” rifle, on the badge or without a separate NYS semi-auto rifle license.

2) as of 9/4/22, no one, without a valid, NYS handgun license or a valid NYS semi-auto rifle license, may even touch a semi-auto rifle. Newly acquired, semi-auto rifles will be listed, on the handgun license or semi-auto license, by make, model, caliber and serial number.

3) for the purposes of obtaining an “unrestricted” handgun license, Suffolk PD will recognize training certificates, issued by any NRA instructor, who is currently certified, as a handgun instructor, provided the certificate includes the name of the student, plus the instructor’s name, NRA instructor’s number, place and date of training, as well as a unique serial number on the certificate. My suggestion would be to also add the student’s NYS handgun license number. NRA certified handgun instructors are able to certify themselves, by issuing a certificate of training, to him/herself.

4) all handgun licenses, issued or renewed, within the 5 Western towns of Suffolk County, on or after 9/1/22, which do not contain the “business” endorsement, will be renewed, for a period of THREE (3) years. All handgun licenses, issued or renewed, on or after 9/1/22, which contain the “business” endorsement, will be renewed, for a period of FIVE (5) years.

5) all of the above is subject to change, depending on the decisions rendered by the various courts and instructions from the state government.

Nothing was provided, in writing and all acknowledged that, for the moment, these rules are not expected to be firm or for the long term.

Gary

#17 ·
Gary, I thought only semi-auto rifles purchased after Sept. 4th were affected. You need a license for all semi-autos?

And what is the deal with the "Business" endorsed licenses? It sounds like they are going to issue them as a para. (b) license (5yr renewal), but then they are only Premise Business licenses-but not subject to the new CCIA restrictions and training, but also no longer a 'carry' license. Is this correct?

#15 ·
"2) as of 9/4/22, no one, without a valid, NYS handgun license or a valid NYS semi-auto rifle license, may even touch a semi-auto rifle."
People who currently own semi auto rifles, can not touch them until they get a license in maybe 2yrs? Am I reading that correctly. Or are we talking just new purchase?

#16 ·
"2) as of 9/4/22, no one, without a valid, NYS handgun license or a valid NYS semi-auto rifle license, may even touch a semi-auto rifle."
People who currently own semi auto rifles, can not touch them until they get a license in maybe 2yrs? Am I reading that correctly. Or are we talking just new purchase?
I thought that only semi-auto rifles purchased after Sept. 4, 2022 were affected by this new legislation.

#20 ·
Yea, I have no idea. How would anyone know if a rifle is purchased on or before that date. I shoot with my kids all the time. My one daughter is only 19. My son just turned 21. I guess he needs to apply and wait 2yrs. I will be paying for 4 of us to go through training every 3 yrs.

#21 ·
As I understand the "training" "requirement," you need do it only once but, even then, only if you want an "unrestricted" license, provided the court does not strike it down, first.

Since all LEGAL handgun, rifle, shotgun and "other" sales now go through an FFL (compliments of the unSAFE Act), they can track when a specific item was last sold, used or new.
Gary

#24 ·
I've been thinking this through, the end result could mean Nassau residents cant buy SA in Suffolk and vice versa.

For Suffolk residents, you wont have an endorsement on your license as its treated like a pistol. Without a SA endorsement, you can't buy anywhere else in the state except Suffolk.

For Nassau residents, you will have endorsement, but you won't be able to pick up your rifle until its listed on your pistol license. Since you cannot get it listed on your license, you can never get it.

Add one more lawsuit to the mix. Its getting beyond stupid.

#26 ·
3) for the purposes of obtaining an “unrestricted” handgun license, Suffolk PD will recognize training certificates,
It has been my understanding that there are few"unrestricted" licenses. I thought such licenses are full-carry at all times, not business carry.

#32 ·
time to leave this ridiculous state. The politicians are supposed to serve the needs of their constituents and that’s just not that case anymore. And sadly, we can’t do anything about it. These blatantly party agenda serving politicians will continue to be voted in over and over by the mindless people who side with them.

#34 ·
No. You can use them, just as you always have. You can even loan them, to another person, WHILE HUNTING but not lend them otherwise. You, as the owner, before that portion of the CCIA went into effect, do not need any additional license, to own or use what you already have. Only those, who wish to purchase a semi-auto, on or after 9/4/22, will need a semi-auto license or a handgun license. If you need to purchase another semi-auto, then you will need to either add it to your handgun licenses or, if you don't have a handgun license, apply for, then wait to receive, one before you can buy another semi-auto.
Gary

#36 ·
Gary,

For the sake of clarity- when I read the CCIA- it requires a purchase permit for semi automatic rifles- however, it does not require a trip to the police department to add the serial number to your pistol permit.

Is that an additional requirement imposed by Suffolk County or did I misread your post? Thanks

#55 ·
I talked to a lawyer who told me she knows the lawyer who was in on that first suit that was dismissed for no standing and she said Mr, Antonyuk didnt give a real cause under cross examination only went as far as to say he may do certain things that the CCIA would restrict him doing not that he is going to do them and apparently that was enough for the judge to do what he did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.