Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Runs with scissors
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old Cub Scout son is going, for the first time, to Boy Scout Camp in Baiting Hollow. He will stay there for five days. They sleep in tents, go hiking, swimming, etc. I am sending him with Deep Woods bug repellant for hiking, and a regular mosquito repellant for sleeping (both deet based). With all these new mosquito and tick varieties popping up, do any of you know of any other repellant that works better? This is the same kid who slept one night in a tent last year and came home with a tick attached to his neck. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Permetherin.

Spray his clothes and shoes with it. Spray his sleeping bag with it... spray everything he might wear. Do not send it with him though - it's an insecticide and intended only to be sprayed on clothing and material, not on skin. It drys scentless and will least through a few washings.

It's available at most hunting shops and Walmart... it's in a yellow box.

·
Registered
721 Posts
treat his clothes and shoes with Permethrin for the ticks, and use the Deep Woods for the mosquito's, and he should be safe. You can get the Permethrin at Dicks, sometimes Walmart, or order it online at Campmor or Amazon.com

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Permetherin.

Spray his clothes and shoes with it. Spray his sleeping bag with it... spray everything he might wear. Do not send it with him though - it's an insecticide and intended only to be sprayed on clothing and material, not on skin. It drys scentless and will least through a few washings.

It's available at most hunting shops and Walmart... it's in a yellow box.
This. It will be difficult to keep most mosquitos away but the ticks can be regulated with permetherin. If it is a high tick area I suggest he wear pants with his pant legs tucked into his socks to keep those buggers from going up inside of his pants. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Both Scout Camps in Suffolk County, Baiting Hollow and Schiff Scout Reservation are infested with ticks. It's almost impossible to keep kids & adults tick free. I lost track of how many ticks my son got at Scout Camp.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Both Scout Camps in Suffolk County, Baiting Hollow and Schiff Scout Reservation are infested with ticks. It's almost impossible to keep kids & adults tick free. I lost track of how many ticks my son got at Scout Camp.
The Hollow has a lot less ticks than Schiff but still has a fair amount. The advice above about Permethrin for clothing, shoes gear etc and deep woods off for the rest is spot on. DEET will not repel ticks. Proper application is important, many camps require pump bug repellents as the aerosol will stray and remove water repellency from tents

Reactions: gcloss

·
Runs with scissors
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. My husband is on the way to Dicks, or Walmart, or Campsite to buy Permethrin. Both Off sprays I am sending with him are pump action. I cannot trust him with aerosol
With two active kids and two dogs we had our fair share of ticks, but we were there to remove them in timely manner. This momma bear is not going to be there, so I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make this experience for him as fun as possible. Once again, thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Your son should be actively checking his body each day for any ticks. Armpits, head (feeling), behind the ears, legs and groin area. Long Island has a very nasty tick population. I enjoy camping and hiking off the island. Substantially less ticks and poison ivy.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
My 10 year old Cub Scout son is going, for the first time, to Boy Scout Camp in Baiting Hollow. He will stay there for five days. They sleep in tents, go hiking, swimming, etc. I am sending him with Deep Woods bug repellant for hiking, and a regular mosquito repellant for sleeping (both deet based). With all these new mosquito and tick varieties popping up, do any of you know of any other repellant that works better? This is the same kid who slept one night in a tent last year and came home with a tick attached to his neck. Thanks!
You probably don't want to read the other thread about ticks that was started earlier today...

·
Runs with scissors
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You probably don't want to read the other thread about ticks that was started earlier today...
Too late

If this does not get my son's attention nothing will. He is a true carnivore.

·
Registered
297 Posts
For sleeping, are they on cots? If so, they should've recommended mosquito netting. I know my son's Troop does. Get some 1x1 cut it into for equal lengths about 4 ft long. Bring duck tape and zip ties to attach to cot legs and drape your netting over it...

·
Runs with scissors
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buzz cut already done. I have a mosquito netting from when my husband went to Africa. He never used it (weird right?). It comes with the hoop you attach to the tent and it drapes over the cot. I better go and dig it out of the basement.

·
Registered
664 Posts
REmind him every night to check his bags, his clothing and his body and teach him the difference between the different types of Ticks

·
-1 Arisaka Type 99
1,516 Posts
Buzz cut already done. I have a mosquito netting from when my husband went to Africa. He never used it (weird right?). It comes with the hoop you attach to the tent and it drapes over the cot. I better go and dig it out of the basement.
Make sure you have a tarp to put under the cot. The bugs make their way through the floor.

I used to be the aquatics director out there. 3 summers on staff with 2 previous years as a camper, 30+ weeks living in those tents. I don't think I've ever once used bug spray, to be honest. But listen to NRATC53's advice. He's spent much more time there than I. I especially second the "no aerosol" point. I've seen kids spray their entire canvas tent with aerosol bug spray and then the morning after a big storm, hang all of their gear up on closelines. (At least that's a good opportunity to teach the 2 half hitches and taught line hitch)

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Congrats on your son moving up to staying at a Boy Scout camp. As a former Boy Scout I have stayed at Baiting Hollow a few times learned a lot and have great memories. Im sure he will have a great time.
As he gets older and if you don't mind some traveling I recommend Camp Yawgoog and Camp Barton.
Lots of luck to you and your little Boy Scout.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
It's totally ridiculous that BSA hasn't brought a flock of chickens, and Guinea fowl to eat all the ticks. The tick population can be reduced by 90%.
I will mention it when I take my boy there. Good idea!

Reactions: Licence to Quilt
1 - 20 of 50 Posts