Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my eyes tell me I need to put optics on this Mini.
Lots of conflicting stuff on the Interwebz surrounding Ruger mounts.
This is not ever going to be a tack driver, but I'd hate to err for the sake of a few bucks.
Using OEM Ruger mounts, buying a set of rings and viola.
Any opinions from owners out there?

·
In my Happy Place
3,752 Posts
Try the Ruger rings and see how close, (or not) they had some issues with the scallops in the receiver not being machined right on some rifles but I don't know of anyone personally who's had that issue. I plan on scoping mine as well, (that eye thing must be contagious), as soon as I get settled after my move. I'll post here how it goes.

Reactions: PandM

·
Winter is coming
3,527 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine are stock Ruger mounts, no markings of any kind on them though.
I don't shoot this gun all that much, hate chasing the friggin brass all over the place, but I can say I've had zero issues with the glass up top as far as anything moving.

·
In my Happy Place
3,752 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine are stock Ruger mounts, no markings of any kind on them though.
I don't shoot this gun all that much, hate chasing the friggin brass all over the place, but I can say I've had zero issues with the glass up top as far as anything moving.
You can tune the ejection cycle by changing the gas port bushings, they're available in different diameters and work quite well from what I've read. Buffers can be installed as well.

Few years back I hit my brother in the noggin and he bled quite a bit... Served him right for not ducking..

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
I never scoped my All-Weather Ranch. I did buy a Nikon 3-9x Prostaff on sale but I keep meaning to get another Ranch in blue/hardwood which I will definitely put the scope on. Like buying ammo for a gun you don't own, I'm sure I'm not the first one who's bought a scope for a rifle they don't have.

I've heard of problems with the so-called "scallops" on the receiver. I assume they're talking about the crescent cutouts that lock down the ring mounts. My rings are still in the package. The cutouts on my rifle don't appear to be exactly perfect but that doesn't mean they're not okay. As long as the splines on the receiver will mate with the ones on the ring mount when the mount is tightened down, there shouldn't be a problem (theoretically).

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Have a new ranch rifle, shot the first 20 rounds and no brass anywhere around the bench, It tosses the brass about 20ft...amazing...my old one would make a nice pile just behind the shooter....

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Just to mention; the Ruger rings that mount directly to the receiver come in different heights just as regular rings do.
We have had some factory rings that were not machined well at all, and we check them all carefully now because of that.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Accuracy Systems make an adjustable gas block for the Mini 14.

http://www.mini14adj...legasblock.com/
I never liked the idea of ******* with the gas block. It's not brain surgery but when you install the gas block you really have to get the top and bottom very evenly spaced and torque the screws in stages to get the pressure perfectly even around the circumference of the barrel. Get it wrong and it can affect the accuracy of the rifle. (Not to mention I don't own the correct torque wrench.) Then, you have to stake the screws. That's not an easy thing to do unless you know how, have done it before or have a tool or jig that's intended for it. I'll bet the guy at the factory does. I read about guys on Perfect Union who use Loctite but that's pointless. Loctite breaks down with heat. That's why they're staked.

I'm also not too crazy about changing the gas port. Ruger uses the one they do to make the rifle the most reliable for almost any ammo you'd put in the chamber. As a result it spits the brass a ridiculously long way. I've tried 1911 buffers but they haven't helped at all, at least not in mine.

JMO

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I had a Leupold VX-1, 3 - 9x40 wide reticle on mine. Worked great. I put a cheap red dot on now for tactical matches. The scope is way too slow for short shots and I need all the help I can get.

I traded my 1" Ruger factory rings in to Ruger for the 30mm and got 30mm x 1" delrin adapters from GG&G. That lowered the scope some (1/8" to<1/4") but eliminated metal to metal contact between the rings and the scope. I heard the Minis beat up on the scopes. I had no problems for 2 years.

You are right, not a tack driver but great fun to shoot. I wish I could quick change the scope and the red dot.

Just noticed, too late. Have fun.

I did the gas port with an .050 from Accuracy Systems. 5.56 goes about 10 - 12 feet, 223 about 5 - 7 feet

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Prostaff 3x9x40 Ruger supplied ring used never an issue holds zero just fine. Shooting mostly out to 200 yards. You can spend what you want its still a Mini 14 if you think it the most accurate think again so don't get crazy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.