Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised not to accessorize. Hey, I only ordered a stock saddle and new trigger. That ain't really accerssorizing, is it?

And now I'm thinking about a scope. (So much for promises.)

Did a bit of research and I'm on a budget...so here are the ones I'm looking at:

Bushnell TRS-25 3moa red dot for $80.00 on Amazon, and

NCStar 2-7 x 32 also on Amazon for $90.00;

and yeah, I know I should spend more on better glass, but it's what I can afford so I'll try to get the best I can for what I got.

So here's the questions:

Red Dot or traditional scope (both come with mounts for rail)?

I'll mostly be shooting paper at 100 yards and maybe a stray woodchuck or something. I've got a bunch of other stuff for home defense (pistols, rifles and a scatter gun) so a zombie stand-off weapon is not something I need.

From what I've read (not enough or I'd answer my own question), the red dot is for closer up work and more for self defense, not as good as a tube scope for more than 50 yards.

The tube scope more for target and better at 100 yards.

So I'm trending for the regular scope.

And what is co-witnessing? Being able to use either scope or irons without changing anything?

I'm ordering medium and large risers (about $15 total) so if I want/need I can mount the scope a bit high to keep my iron sights available? Do I have that right?

Aside from my inherent cheapness and lack of funds, anything else I should be thinking of. Any other scopes in my (low) price range?

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay...I just did a couple of youtubes and now I understand co witnessing. I don't think I'll need it. Not worried about red dot failing and needing iron for backup in a threat situation. I probably won't be using my Sport as my first line of defense at home.

Plus, if I get the tube scope, it's a moot point.

Should have done the google search before I asked the question.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
There was a sale a week or two ago with the Nikon P223. It's a great scope for the money. Now it seems the sales have disappeared on that scope ($80 was the sale). I don't have experience with the other scopes. What I can tell you is that my bolt action Mossberg MVP chambered in 5.56 NATO can hit a dime at 100 yards with the scope. And I can ring a 4" steel gong at 200 yards all day long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.