Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
...without breaking the bank.

I see the club at Cedar Creek shooting Olympic style bows and I want a recurve but a more traditional style, don't need any fancy sights and clickers. Just a wood takedown bow.
Most likely it will never go hunting, just target shooting. Looking to spend $200-$300. I shoot lefty and some of the "bargain" bows from the big manufacturers only come in righty (or at least that's I've seen).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Once you get into shooting traditional gear you should do yourself a favor and go to ETAR ( eastern traditional archery rendezvous ) I think it is it's 25th yr. It is always the last full weekend in July ( Thurs. - Sun. ), It is at ski denton in the North western part of PA.I'll be there again this yr . making the trip for Tn. vendors , bowyers , etc. Do a search on ETAR

Billstick

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
I used to shoot at Cantiague Park in the summers when I was a teenager. I had my own 35lb pull recurve fiberglass bow (from Korvettes) and the parks department's warped arrows. No fancy sights (or any sights) or aluminum arrows. We shot at 30 and 50 yards. I enjoyed it thoroughly and was a very good shot. I could easily have taken down squirrels and giraffes if they let me. I took 2nd place in the Nassau County Parks competition using a crap set of arrows narrowly losing to a kid who had is own custom bow with aluminum arrows. I highly recommend it - just like shooting an AK.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
MR,
before getting a Martin Cougar Fury, the only bow I shot at CC was a Martin Jaguar Takedown (recurve). You can get it from Sportsmans Guide for much less than $130. and a search on the various archery websites (especially archerytalk.com) will get you positive reviews expecially for the pricing although unfortunately I think it only comes in righty. Those same websites will also speak of only slighty more expensive recurves that rival the Jaguar and come in lefty. While I love and rave about Smith Point, I just don't see the need to go to an archery shop for a traditional recurve (not a longbow!) like the Jaguar or a slew of others. All you need to shoot recurve is a glove for your pull hand, arrows in the proper length (and I got virtually all of mine from Ebay or second hand), the forearm protector, and some spare nocks and fletchings as they seem to break more than my compound's do.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
I know about Smith Point and C&B Archery.
I wanted to know about personal experience.
I know nothing about bows, but my boys have been doing the PAL league in Levittown for at least the last 6 years now (PAL runs a great program). They recommended C&B Archery to me, in case my oldest was really into archery.

My oldest, now 15, saved up his money...birthdays, Christmas, odd jobs, etc. So I took him to C&B Archery. He has since bought 2 compounds (the 1st, he has since given to his younger brother) and a take-down recurve. He loves the place...the wife & I are happy with them too.

In fact, we are planning to go there later today or tomorrow, to sign my son up for a league there.

·
21,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I looked and I tried and I researched.
I settled and ordered a Ragim Impala 45# bow. The bow and limbs are made in Italy and I decided to give the paisans a shot. Samick is a Korean company, but from what I read it seems their lower end bows are subbed out to China.

I got a heavy for target shooting bow because the time may come when I want to hunt with it and logic dictates that you practice with what you will hunt with. Besides, I already have a mess of carbon arrows that will work...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Very cool purchase. A friend of mine, who is a very good shot with his compound bow, recently took up recurve shooting. He said it is quite humbling. Described shooting the compound bow with pins and a release is like riding a bike. Once you figure it out, anytime you pick up the bow your hitting your target. Apparently the "instinct" shooting of a recurve is very easily lost if you take a few weeks off. It can take many dozens of shots to find the groove again.

Good luck!

·
21,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not going that "primitive". I have a spring arrow rest and will add a sight.
At Cedar Creek I often see a guy with a Japanese bow shooting bamboo arrows at itty-bitty little targets about fifty yards out.
It's funny but one time we both shot an arrow at the same time. My son, who was behind us, told me my arrow (from a compound @70lbs) hit the block at 40 yards before the bamboo arrow was halfway to target.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
15,344 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.