Long Island Shooters Forum banner

School me on E-collars for dogs

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  100MPG 
E-collars are not for training .. they are used to correct or check an already learned action.

I would also like to add .. at 1 year old , your lab is still learning and very immature. She should learn over time what should be barked at and what is ok, she should learn this from you, by your actions and verbally . When my lab barks , I listen to him and I react. It is very important for you to acknowledge your dog when she barks. Go look at what she's barking at .. if its something you dont want her barking at, acknowledge it by telling her "its ok " and walk away . She will understand that you are not concerned with what she sees or hears and she will learn. The only times ive ever discouraged my dog from barking is when he barks at a squirrel or other small animal around the house. In this case i can specifically tell him "no" and he knows that he isn't supposed to bark at squirrels. If he hears something he is supposed to bark.. if he sees something he is supposed to bark. When my dogs barks I always react to it. He can read me, he knows barking gets my attention, and he knows barking has its consequences. If its a squirrel he knows he's in trouble
Everything else gets a pat on the head and a "good boy!".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.