Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First time poster. I’m currently in the process of getting (hopefully) my permit.

I had my “interview”, completed the second round of paperwork where they wanted questionnaires filled out by two of my references.

Now it gets kicked to the State Police.
Anyone have a guestimate as to how long until I hear yes or no?

I’m a Vet, no criminal history to speak of, honorable discharge. Work full time, lived in my home for 16 years. Married 20. Wife approves and submitted affidavit. I’m not expecting to get denied, but I never say never when it comes to dealing with any level of government.

Thanks!

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,002 Posts
The NY Penal law says they have to issue within 6 months of application.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think someone posted the other day that they just received theirs. They submitted the application in March 2020 to the SCPD.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Myth99 what county are you in? If you are in Suffolk, Striper is correct. The Nassau timeline is also probably about 1yr.

I am curious about one thing: You mentioned that there was a follow up and that two out of your four references were asked to complete additional questionnaires before sending your application to the State? I ask because In Nassau and Suffolk (unless you live in a town where the issuing authority is the Sheriff) the actual Counties are the issuing authorities — found your comment interesting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It appears that SCPD is working on a 19 month backlog. However Suffolk Sheriff’s Dept is working on a 9 month backlog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the feedback, All.

I’m kicking myself for waiting so long to apply, but I have “long guns” and felt secure.

I initially submitted my app in July 2020, had my interview in August 2021. Our government works hard for us 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
It appears that SCPD is working on a 19 month backlog. However Suffolk Sheriff’s Dept is working on a 9 month backlog.
A friend just got his license this week. It took 18 months.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They have 6 months from date of interview to give you an answer. NOT day you submit application

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
They have 6 months from date of interview to give you an answer. NOT day you submit application
The date of the interview is when the “application” is submitted. What you submitted prior to the interview was the county “questionnaire”.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
No - BY LAW - they have 6 months "from presentment of application"

They are playing games with the application process - plain and simple.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
The date of the interview is when the “application” is submitted. What you submitted prior to the interview was the county “questionnaire”.
which is legally an application... but no one with money and balls has taken it to court.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
No - BY LAW - they have 6 months "from presentment of application"

They are playing games with the application process - plain and simple.
Once an attorney is hired, the application is approved. This happened a few years ago in Nassau. People had a pistol license in 3 months.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Thereby making the legal process only available to applicants with deep pockets (those who can afford to hire an attorney). The licensing agencies are also smart about it because they will issue the permit the second a lawyer writes a letter but the case will never make it to court. Therefore there will never be a ruling against the licensing agency.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
the other thing I keep hearing is when an applicant calls a year later asking "WTF?" they get "Oh, we've been TRYING to reach you...." as if they didn't have your phone #, email address, and physical address.... I guess they're trying telepathically.

I've heard this quite a few times this year from people.

really it would help if they're number didn't come up as "private" or "restricted".... assuming they actually try to call.

Reactions: 2edgesword

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,002 Posts
Where does it say that in the Penal Law? Suffolk may or may not be able to add restrictions to a license but they certainly DO NOT have the authority to CHANGE the written statute enacted by legislatures, which makes no reference to setting the date to 6 mos after an interview. They are breaking the law of the state by going past six months after an application is submitted, no ifs ands or buts.

Reactions: Parashooter

·
Registered
38 Posts
the other thing I keep hearing is when an applicant calls a year later asking "WTF?" they get "Oh, we've been TRYING to reach you...." as if they didn't have your phone #, email address, and physical address.... I guess they're trying telepathically.

I've heard this quite a few times this year from people.

really it would help if they're number didn't come up as "private" or "restricted".... assuming they actually try to call.
The SCPD Licensing Bureau number is "private" or "restricted" when they call you to set up an interview?
Can anyone confirm that?

If that's the case, that is important info for me, as I have a block on my telephone lines against "private" or "restricted" numbers to help cut down on unsolicited sales calls.
That's BS, if it's true, as I don't think anyone legitimate can hold that against anyone, especially considering all the robo calls, and unsolicited "car warranty" type calls being made these days. Still bad enough with all the spoofed numbers these "sales" sharks use to get around do not call lists, and blocks.
Simply allowing your caller ID is a simple button push to let a call get through to me. Or, as you mentioned, they have two phone numbers, my email address, and my mailing address.

I submitted my questionnaire just over a year ago, so I'm hoping for that phone call soon.
I did call SCPD recently to ask for a status update, and gave them my case number, so they checked my actual status (was told I had been assigned to an investigator, but they were probably still working on August 2020 questionnaires). I certainly hope they haven't been trying to reach me, or would have at least said so when they checked my status recently.

Now I'm worried I might miss the call because of the blocks. Wonder if their suggestion would be to remove the blocks? I'd consider that yet another "unreasonable" aspect of this whole process, but since I do feel the manipulation of the process by SCPD is unreasonable (the whole questionnaire vs application, and 6 month time limit therein), it wouldn't surprise me I suppose.

Maybe next time I call SCPD I'll ask them about this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts