Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to thank everyone in advance. I have picked up a lot of information in a very short time.

Today I looked at a Savage .270 WSM Stainless steel brl synthetic stock. I like it now the question 16FHSS (HINGED FLOOR PLATE) or 16FCSS (Detachable box)?

Is it a strictly comfort or another reason why one might be better then the other?

Thank you,
Vadim...

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
.270 WSM? Have you considered the cost of ammo? $2/rd+, and not too many choices available.

As far as internal mag or detachable mag, personal preference. Internal mag is fixed as to how many rounds you can carry, and detachable may have options to expand. For hunting, at least in NY, you are limited to 5 rds.The detachable mag would just be something to lose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vmtcmt said:
.270 WSM? Have you considered the cost of ammo? $2/rd+, and not too many choices available.

As far as internal mag or detachable mag, personal preference. Internal mag is fixed as to how many rounds you can carry, and detachable may have options to expand. For hunting, at least in NY, you are limited to 5 rds.The detachable mag would just be something to lose.
WSM rounds are shorter correct? I would not be able to use the WIN?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
How about just a plain vanilla .308? A little more kick than .270, but ammo is a lot cheaper, especially if you reload.
This summer I picked up 600 rounds of 147 grain PPU for just under $300 shipped. At 50 cents a pop its even hard to beat if you reload.

I have a Savage 12FVSS, and don't shoot it much because at 100 it will put the hole where its pointed. I kind of like a rifle that take some work to shoot well. But the factory plastic stock is crap, like Tupperware crap. If you want a better stock plan to either step up to factory wood, or a Choate, Bell and Carlson, or a McMillan (if you have money to burn).

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
I would like to know how that works. Bullets pulled from 7.62x39 wouldn't work, would they? IIRC, diameter is a hair too big.

I've read the Savage factory Accu-stock is supposed to be pretty good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL dont you guys ever sleep?

The stock on the savage was not all that impressive you are right. I looked at the .270 Remington and the stock had some fuzzy glue touching the barrel. I also looked at the "Montana" it was so light, felt like a toy in my hands.

The accu stock was OK.

30-06 caught my eye more then the .308. I saw a few some balistic comparisons and the .207 just shoots straighter. Plus my son and daugther will be shooting the rifle as well as my wife. I figured and possibly incorrectly that the .207 will have less of a kick and prove to be more enjoyable to shoot for them. :-/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mad Russian said:
How about just a plain vanilla .308? A little more kick than .270, but ammo is a lot cheaper, especially if you reload.
This summer I picked up 600 rounds of 147 grain PPU for just under $300 shipped. At 50 cents a pop its even hard to beat if you reload.
500 rounds of .270 WIN .80 cents a pop.
500 rounds of .270 WSM cant find a seller yet. Most I found was 100 rounds. around $2.

·
22,005 Posts
The .270 has a higher powder to bullet ratio, and is faster than .308, and shoots flatter not straighter ;).
However if youre looking for a lower recoil, then the .243 is faster and flatter than either of the above, and costs around $1 a pop. Going down in caliber (just before we get to .22LR) is the 5.56/.223 which out of a semi-auto has very little recoil. Then there is the 5.45 which the Ruskis seem to love these days. Cheap to shoot, low recoil, the Saiga rifle can be had for around $300 these days.
And finally my favorite: .22lr the cheapest bang for the buck out there. No recoil that I can remember, but then again I shoot out of an 8 pound rifle. Doesn't scare women and children.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Flatter not straighter got it thank you. ;)
I bought a Marlin 22L. for my dad years ago. never been fired. :'(

Does the .243 have the power of a .270?

I understand what your saying .270WIN should be more then enough. and while $2 a rd doesnt seem like a lot at first I can see us going through several boxes at a time + range fees it does add up.

LOL!!!
My wife just came over and tells me "no one has just one rifle so dont kill yourself". 8) I know I'm the luckiest man on the planet 8)

VB...

·
22,005 Posts
Are you planning to hunt? If you are then the .270 is good round for deer.

If you just want to punch paper from a bench get a .223 bolt action with heavy barrel. The heavy rifle will absorb a lot of the recoil. Your wife and kids won't mind.

And, yes you are lucky. My wife asked "how many do you have?" when she saw the photo inventory.

Those Ruski women!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just came back from the Orange County Gun Show.

A lot of stuff for sale. A lot of crap for sale mostly. Im not a collector but Im sure some people saw something worth collecting there. A lot of folks buying ammunition. The knives were such cheap crap. And yet, the place was a mob scene. A few nice Brownings. Some Rem 700. Even saw a Savage but not the one I was interested in. Price wise it matched what I saw on LI.

VB...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.