Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new phone S4 Active. Can anyone tell me what apps are good to get? So you far I love it! Thanks!

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Thinking about one, how is the battery life with it?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I got the S4 a few weeks ago. Switched from the iPhone. I really like the freedom of the droid operating system compared to apple.

Here are some of the apps I use.

Pocket Casts - If you like listening to pod casts. This one is not free but worth it.
QuickPic - I like this better than the Gallery app that comes pre installed
IMDB - For looking up movie and tv shows. One of my most used apps.
ColorNote - Nice simple note pad and checklist app.
Safe Notes Pro - same as ColorNote but password protected
Yahoo Finance - for market news and tracking stocks
iSyncr - Syncs your itunes library over wi-fi from your pc to phone, not free but good.
Flixster - Good for looking up movie theater times.
Shazam - identify songs playing using the phones microphone

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I am considering the switch to the S4 Active from iPhone. My concern is the syncing of data to Outlook. A Galaxy rep told me to use Kies software that they provide. It seems to synch everything I need but the Notes. Anyone have any experience with this or synching in general?

www.samsun.com/kies

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I am considering the switch to the S4 Active from iPhone. My concern is the syncing of data to Outlook. A Galaxy rep told me to use Kies software that they provide. It seems to synch everything I need but the Notes. Anyone have any experience with this or synching in general?

www.samsun.com/kies
What is the mail server on the back end?

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
They are traditional Pop3 servers. So the link to outlook is just for contacts, calendar, tasks and notes. It is my understanding that Notes will not sync. I am ASSUMING the email will be handled separately like it is with my iphone setup.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I got the S4 a few weeks ago. Switched from the iPhone. I really like the freedom of the droid operating system compared to apple.
*ANDROID

I have the regular S4 and its an absolute monster. Mine is rooted, running custom software and all sorts of awesome tweaks. been using android phones since 2009 and nothing beats the technology/freedom/customization with them. The Galaxy S3 was the best phone on the market when it was around, now the S4 is the best one out there. Im really excited about the Note 3 though.

I converted a bunch of iShit (iphone) owners and they all got S4's and are never looking back. they cant believe they actually used that iphone crap for so long

heres a great thread for beginners on nice apps to download (recommended by users). i'd recommend some apps but they are for rooted phones

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2287116

Reactions: morphix

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Thanks! I am a new S4 user and I love this phone. So far, so good!

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
*ANDROID

I have the regular S4 and its an absolute monster. Mine is rooted, running custom software and all sorts of awesome tweaks. been using android phones since 2009 and nothing beats the technology/freedom/customization with them. The Galaxy S3 was the best phone on the market when it was around, now the S4 is the best one out there. Im really excited about the Note 3 though.

I converted a bunch of iShit (iphone) owners and they all got S4's and are never looking back. they cant believe they actually used that iphone crap for so long

heres a great thread for beginners on nice apps to download (recommended by users). i'd recommend some apps but they are for rooted phones

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2287116
What did you use to root the phone. Pm me please if you don't want to post it here.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
S4 is a nice piece of machine.

I love my S3 and I have the QI port enabled. I never 'connect' my phone to a charger. I just place them on the pads..

Amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
What did you use to root the phone. Pm me please if you don't want to post it here.
I'd have no problem posting it. Im actually leaving work now so when i get home I'll throw it up. I'll also post info on the Verizon and AT&T S4's just in case others are curious.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Okay below are all the links you will need to root the S4's. Definitely check out that XDA Developers site as it is the MOTHERLOAD of information on android phones.

WARNING!!!!! If you phone has recently downloaded the update that was pushed to all Galaxy S4's these WILL NOT WORK. DO NOT try them on the phones that have been updated, it may cause damage. They closed the loop hole they were using to hack the phones. They are working on finding a new loop hole but for now you are SOL.

Other than that you should be good to go and have no problems:

GALAXY S4 ACTIVE:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2343366

Verizon Galaxy S4:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2290798

AT&T Galaxy S4:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2252248

*Disclaimer, not responsible for anything that happens because of you messing around. Enjoy

Reactions: TTSkipper

·
Banned
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far, this is an excellent phone. Blows away any iPhone! I'm still getting all my apps together. I'm seeing what/which apps work for me? Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts