Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most of us are familiar with the heart wrenching incident that occurred this past Saturday. I can't even imagine how the families are coping. I really feel awful for them.

The focus of the story is on the DWI driver of the pickup that T-boned the limo. But, to me, it appears that the limo driver may also have some culpability. I've been in limos many times & notice that the drivers are often distracted looking down at their pickup addresses or gps. In the early morning, when I drive to work, I see many 'livery' vehicles being driven erratically. I'm assuming they either didn't get much sleep or they are also distracted by phone calls/looking for directions/etc.

Anyway, in this case, the driver made a U-turn. He may have misjudged the speed of the oncoming car or the pickup driver was traveling at an excessive speed. I'm sure we'll hear about the accidents scene as the investigation unfolds.

It's just a really sad situation.

Reactions: bigartie and BLAMMO

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
I'm not commenting on this accident. But each time I'm in a limo in NY the driver seems too "busy".
By contrast a guy that drove us in FL (to and from the airport) was good enough to hire as a private driver… if I had that kind of money.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
My friend's a trauma surgeon.
He says Left turns and U turns bring him more clients than drunks.
This is a terrible tragedy. These girls were doing the right thing getting a limo so they could drink.
The pick up driver was charged with DWI but only because under questioning he said he had a few beers while working around the house.
They have not released the blood work results.Whether he was drunk or not the limo driver is also to blame.
Doesn't matter to the families. Their girls are gone.
Awful

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
I'd bet he was looking down at his phone at his Google Maps app. You don't miss a big red pick up barreling down on you if you are even paying half attention. The limo driver had the last best chance to avoid this tragedy. The pickup driver has 20 years in jail bad luck as there is no evidence he committed a moving violation apart from the earlier alcohol.

By the way the pick up driver killed a guy with a fork lift a year ago at his business. Bad luck for the victims in the limo, as there will be no money left for their lawsuit.

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
None of what you said matters at all. The pick up truck driver was driving drunk. People who aren't driving drunk have time to stop when they see a huge limo making a u-turn in front of them. End of story. Prayers to the family of these poor young girls. This is heart wrenching. Delete this thread out of respect.
I don't really know what 'respect' has to do with this. If the limo driver was at fault, then that should come to light. A drunk driver is not automatically liable for an accident not caused by his negligence. Sure, his drinking is a factor, a big one, but it's not determinant of liability.

And, I'm not saying that the drunk driver didn't cause the accident. He may have. But, it was in broad daylight & the limo driver may have made a bad decision or even a negligent one.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
None of what you said matters at all. The pick up truck driver was driving drunk. People who aren't driving drunk have time to stop when they see a huge limo making a u-turn in front of them. End of story. Prayers to the family of these poor young girls. This is heart wrenching. Delete this thread out of respect.
Do you know that road? Limos need to swing wide to try to make that turn. Most end up having to back up and re approach that turn. With cars coming down at speeds usually over 45 mph in both directions esp on a Saturday when traffic is heavy.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
i saw the accident and Know some first responders on the scene. everyone has said that the tire marks that were from the truck were short enough in length to indicate that the limo pulled out in front of him. that being said weather he was drunk or not remains to be seen as of this afternoon B/A levels werent available which i find odd. the initial scene was horrific from what ive been told and will spare everyone the details. My heart breaks for the families and for the first responders that were there. its quite uncomfortable to travel that stretch of road knowing what happened there. The wineries, the traffic, the people, its way out of control this summer out here i cant stand it.

·
Banned
3,362 Posts
The truck driver ran from the scene and climbed a fence, he admitted to drinking.
His prior pattern of negligence cost a young man I considered a good friend his life. Any opinions I can offer will be strongly biased.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
I drive by that intersection daily.
In general, people drive like idiots out there caught up in the moment between farm stands and wineries. The amount of tourists that jam on their brakes and turn without signaling is mind numbing - it happened to me about four times today trailering a boat and then driving a box truck.

I find it amazing that there aren't more accidents, especially during the weekends.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I drive by that intersection daily.
In general, people drive like idiots out there caught up in the moment between farm stands and wineries. The amount of tourists that jam on their brakes and turn without signaling is mind numbing - it happened to me about four times today trailering a boat and then driving a box truck.

I find it amazing that there aren't more accidents, especially during the weekends.
I was out there yesterday.
An idiot in a minivan did 2. Not 1, but 2 u turns blocking traffic both sides.
Idiots.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Most limo drivers SUCK. They are not skilled drivers. They are retirees looking for work. Some barely speak English.

About limo's. They suck too. They double the length of a car, they add on a ton of weight, interior & exterior, and they don't upgrade the brakes or tires !!! There is no engineering involved, just a welder. And some are so long, they can't maneuver well at all.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
in this case it doesn't look like a sober person would not be able to stop.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
They double the length of a car, they add on a ton of weight, interior & exterior, and they don't upgrade the brakes or tires !!! There is no engineering involved, just a welder. And some are so long, they can't maneuver well at all.
If you look at the amount of intrusion into that limo, it also confirms that the engineering to prevent side impact intrusion done on the car that the limo is based is completely absent when the stretch sections are added.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.