Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was off and spent a fuIl day at the range today. The range was empty and I had the place to myself for hours.

I've never been a big fan of S&W semi-auto's but I was able to get one CHEAP through an M&P armorer's course (all thanks to a local gun shop).
I was very impressed with the ergonomics of the full-size M&P's, fits my hand very well, but not very impressed with the innards. I'm an armorer for several brand-named handguns and long arms, so I've seen how things fit together. The M&P's seemed like everything was an afterthought. Especially compared to the similar-but-simpler Glock. I do like the 17+1 capacity - if you live in a free state, of course. (I didn't like the feel in my hand of the compact version)

I took it to the range today and, brand new, out-of-the-box, it was flawless. I only used ball ammo (FMJ) from Winchester, UMC and G&G, and 300 rounds found no stoppages at all. I did not like the trigger much and my groups showed it. Not horrible, but not what I expected. An APEX trigger job is in quick order.

While at the range I cleaned a friend's guns for him. It's a long story of WHY I cleaned his guns, but let's just say I have a good (hearted) reason. Well, when I looked at his EDC/Business (he owns multiple businesses) Beretta Nano, this (two photos) is what I found. Crazy. I sat him down later today and had a long talk with him about firearms responsibility, function and the importance of maintenance and training. I doubt if it sunk in.

Lastly, I took out an old (pre-SAFE) friend to play a little - and all was right in the world. An M3A1 Grease Gun copy (pictured with the solid, dummy barrel). She shoots low/left with fixed sights, gets dirty as hell and spits back at us lefties, but it's all fun. Especially those .45 cal slugs chuggin' down range into steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
What the monkey hell is wrong with your friend?!

He might as well carry a club

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I would like to point out that the OP made his 6,000th post about guns, and has included a plastic gun, a grease gun, and a rusted out beretta.

there should be an award for that.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a friend with a business CCW who was pretty much in the same boat. I cleaned all of his guns and showed him how to properly maintain them.
Hopefully it's not the same guy!

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did your M&P come with the "pro" trigger? Supposedly the new ones are.
I just read the article about the "Pro" trigger. The reset is very good, so maybe it is the Pro trigger. They did not mention that in the armorer's class.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,875 Posts
All the new ones I have seen since about February of this year have the nicer triggers. The improvement seems to be more in the reset then the trigger pull itself.

They didn't mention it in the armorers course I took either.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I just picked up an M&P 9mm today. I haven't fired it but I already don't like the trigger. where can I take it to have an Apex put in? What are my options for a new trigger?

·
Uh-oh...
12,517 Posts
Apex is pretty much the only game in town, but it's a good one. They have videos on their site and/or YooToob showing how to install their products. While an M&P is not quite Glock simple, putting in an Apex trigger is pretty easy. I'm sure there are plenty here willing to help.

https://store.apexta.../Details/191851

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I just picked up an M&P 9mm today. I haven't fired it but I already don't like the trigger. where can I take it to have an Apex put in? What are my options for a new trigger?
I took the M&P armorer's course, then it took a few months before my own M&P 9 came in. By the time I got to armorers stripping the gun, I forgot most of what I learned!

I gave it to my buddy at a LGS and he put the Apex in for me. I got it back a few days ago and have not tried it yet (live-fire). Dry-firing, I feel a difference, but not a huge one. The test will be on the range.

If you want to check it out and compare before buying it (Apex), let me know. You have my number.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
did you get one with the pro trigger? or the standard? the trigger on my M&P 45c is kind of rubbish....but for a carry gun it's fine.

The trigger on my M&P pro is pretty ok, especially off the reset. I also heard they get better with a thousand rounds or so.

I think it was vinmoto who had an M&P 9 with about a million rounds through it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.