Long Island Shooters Forum banner

S&W 6906

Tags
6906 sw
3K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Genghis Khan 
#1 ·
Hey all, so i am trying sooo hard to figure out if i can legally bring my S&W 6906 to the range... My Pistol is a "pre ban" model.. All of my mags are "pre ban" 12 round... I am planning on going to mitchell field this sunday to have a little fun, and release some stress... Am i legally able to have these mags in my pistol? loaded with 12 rounds or do i need to only keep 7 in them? im really just confused.. please any info is appreciated... im pondering ordering some 10 round mags will this help keep me legal??? HELP!!!

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
see if anyone has mags for the 6906 in 10 rounders...pretty sure they are available.............do not go to range with extended mags only 10 rounders loaded to 7..........12, and 15 round mags loaded with 7 rounds are still illegal............

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
u can legally buy online, hopefully prices are reasonable........I can see how some would take advantage of our disadvantage here as NY residents.............."just play the game and do as your told and you will be fine"..............

#14 ·
interesting.................you can not buy a 10 round mag legally??? now I am confused.......so one basically has to wait for SW or other companies to refit all mags, this is terrible............

#11 ·
No, you can't shoot your pistols with these evil child killer mags. And as 1/13/2013, you can not buy 10 round mags. You'll need to wait until someone makes 7 rounders. Good luck with that.

Prebans are now completely illegal. 10 rounders in your posession at the time the law was signed were grandfathered in. But after the law was signed, you can't buy them.

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat. I just sent all my preban mags to a friend in Pa. Now I can't buy a legal 10 rounder for my Browning Hi Power or my Sig P226.

My buddy who carried a Gen II G19 for 20+ years on the job, never replaced his legal preban mags with 10 rounders because the prebans were legal. Wednesday morning, he went to the gun shop in an attempt to be in compliance. He's now a felon.

#13 ·
This is all uncharted ground.

I would think you can bring your S&W 6906 to the range with less than 8 rounds in mag. The issue is the 12 round mags you have as "pre-ban". They are now, if I understand correctly, completely banned. Your going to have a real fun time finding 10 round mags for your pistol as they seem to be sold out nationwide. Plus the places that have them are reluctant to sell into NYS.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they send some Troopers to the various ranges for the next few weeks to enforce the new law. I can see it now. The RSO calls a cease fire and instructs everyone on the line to put down their weapons with cambers or slides open. Then the troopers walk the line and inspect whether or not your conforming with the law. I would think the minimum would be a written warning and confiscation of banned mags. I don't want to be an alarmist but IMO, this could snowball very quickly. Be careful.

#16 ·
I wouldn't modify anything. Who knows how long this will be in effect. It hasn't been challenged yet so no one knows what changes or modifications to the bill, if any, are coming. It would suck to modify your mags before the ink is dry on this ridiculous and ineffective safety bill only to find it will be turned over by the courts.

Short answer for you specifically is I hope you have another pistol that's currently conforming.

#17 ·
i dont... :-( guess ill just be shooting my hi point carbine 9mm... pistol will stay home with its 12 rnd mags loaded with the HD ammo... amazing how this POS Cuommo can trust us to load 7 rnds into a 10 rnd mag but not a 12 rnd mag...

#20 ·
I'm still shaking my head that this is happening! Does anyone in NYS actually feel safer?

So while I understand why you can't see them doing mag checks at the ranges, when you think about it in light of all the craziness this week, is it really that much of a stretch? With all the geniuses openly talking about how to circumvent the law on open forums like this one, I wouldn't put it past Andy to have the State Police actively check and make some examples.

Meanwhile, all the gang bangers and street thugs are raising glasses of champaign to their now safer hunting grounds.

#25 ·
If it were me, I would leave it home till I got a 10 rounder(loaded to 7).

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, TonkaToy,
I had exactly the same situation as you. My 6906 has 12 rd. mags, and I do believe that they are now considered evil, and illegal. I tried to order some 10 rd. mags directly from S&W, and they cancelled my order when they realized the shipping address is NY. I have a pending order with Impact Guns for a few days now, and I suspect that order will also be cancelled. However, While I was out today trying to buy my 60 round ration of ammo, I happened to find some 10 rounders for sale In Massapequa. Not sure if it's still legal to sell them, though, so I won't say exactly where, but there are still be some out there. I'll be at Mitchell Field Sunday afternoon also, and I didn't want to take a chance with 12 rd. mags. As I read the new law, getting caught with them is a misdemeanor, which means having to forever check the {Yes} box to: "Have you ever been arrested?", "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" And don't forget to count carefully when you load. Good Luck!

P.S. I'll be there about 1-ish. You're welcome to borrow one of mine if you want.

#27 ·
Maybe you can PM me the store??? From what i understand it is legal to sell 10 rnd mags till mid april... I really need to pick up a few... Also, ill add that i did take my 6906 to mitchel field last sunday and did not have any issues, just loaded 7 in the mag, no questions were asked at all... we were gone by 12pm...

#30 ·
Same here!!! S&W had the mags i needed in stock 10 rounders for my 6906, ordered them last week. I should have them this week or early next week... They were very nice over the phone too.. They had no issue shipping them to me (in NY), now if only the mags i ordered for my wifes MP15-22 would get back in stock... hopefully this month.. :)

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
S&W hosed me.
Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting us.
123XXXX is on back order.
125XXXX has been cancelled. Reason unkown. You can reorder, but they are currently on back order.
If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.
Sincerely,
S&W Joe NIEDZIELA
First order was placed on 01/03/2013, second was placed on 01/15/2013.
Both showed as in stock when I placed them. If I don't get the second order
by the magic cutoff, I have a handgun that becomes a paperweight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.