Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so i am trying sooo hard to figure out if i can legally bring my S&W 6906 to the range... My Pistol is a "pre ban" model.. All of my mags are "pre ban" 12 round... I am planning on going to mitchell field this sunday to have a little fun, and release some stress... Am i legally able to have these mags in my pistol? loaded with 12 rounds or do i need to only keep 7 in them? im really just confused.. please any info is appreciated... im pondering ordering some 10 round mags will this help keep me legal??? HELP!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
see if anyone has mags for the 6906 in 10 rounders...pretty sure they are available.............do not go to range with extended mags only 10 rounders loaded to 7..........12, and 15 round mags loaded with 7 rounds are still illegal............

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so does that mean i can not legally shoot my pistol this weekend with its current mags?

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have looked locally, cant find them... only online... :-(

·
Registered
723 Posts
i have looked locally, cant find them... only online... :-(
u can legally buy online, hopefully prices are reasonable........I can see how some would take advantage of our disadvantage here as NY residents.............."just play the game and do as your told and you will be fine"..............

·
Registered
700 Posts
From what I read you can not buy a 10 round mag. They are only good if you currently own them. Maybe the best thing to do is find out if you can modify yours. If they are steel weld a roll pin across the bottom. So the spring rest onto of it.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
No, you can't shoot your pistols with these evil child killer mags. And as 1/13/2013, you can not buy 10 round mags. You'll need to wait until someone makes 7 rounders. Good luck with that.

Prebans are now completely illegal. 10 rounders in your posession at the time the law was signed were grandfathered in. But after the law was signed, you can't buy them.

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat. I just sent all my preban mags to a friend in Pa. Now I can't buy a legal 10 rounder for my Browning Hi Power or my Sig P226.

My buddy who carried a Gen II G19 for 20+ years on the job, never replaced his legal preban mags with 10 rounders because the prebans were legal. Wednesday morning, he went to the gun shop in an attempt to be in compliance. He's now a felon.

·
Condition Zero
3,124 Posts
This is all uncharted ground.

I would think you can bring your S&W 6906 to the range with less than 8 rounds in mag. The issue is the 12 round mags you have as "pre-ban". They are now, if I understand correctly, completely banned. Your going to have a real fun time finding 10 round mags for your pistol as they seem to be sold out nationwide. Plus the places that have them are reluctant to sell into NYS.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they send some Troopers to the various ranges for the next few weeks to enforce the new law. I can see it now. The RSO calls a cease fire and instructs everyone on the line to put down their weapons with cambers or slides open. Then the troopers walk the line and inspect whether or not your conforming with the law. I would think the minimum would be a written warning and confiscation of banned mags. I don't want to be an alarmist but IMO, this could snowball very quickly. Be careful.

·
Registered
723 Posts
From what I read you can not buy a 10 round mag. They are only good if you currently own them. Maybe the best thing to do is find out if you can modify yours. If they are steel weld a roll pin across the bottom. So the spring rest onto of it.
interesting.................you can not buy a 10 round mag legally??? now I am confused.......so one basically has to wait for SW or other companies to refit all mags, this is terrible............

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my mags are steel, so even if i get them modified to only hold 7 rounds they are still not legal cause they at one point held 12? so my pistol is useless?

·
Condition Zero
3,124 Posts
my mags are steel, so even if i get them modified to only hold 7 rounds they are still not legal cause they at one point held 12? so my pistol is useless?
I wouldn't modify anything. Who knows how long this will be in effect. It hasn't been challenged yet so no one knows what changes or modifications to the bill, if any, are coming. It would suck to modify your mags before the ink is dry on this ridiculous and ineffective safety bill only to find it will be turned over by the courts.

Short answer for you specifically is I hope you have another pistol that's currently conforming.

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont... :-( guess ill just be shooting my hi point carbine 9mm... pistol will stay home with its 12 rnd mags loaded with the HD ammo... amazing how this POS Cuommo can trust us to load 7 rnds into a 10 rnd mag but not a 12 rnd mag...

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I cannot see the squareheads doing a magazine check its to the point of being silly. Thats why this law is insidious and unconstitutional. This law basically puts us back to 100 year old tech.

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so should i bring it or not??? lol.. i really want to shoot it, but dont want to be arresetd or have it taken away.. maybe ill just leave the mags at home and load 1 round at a time... LOL (j/k)

·
Condition Zero
3,124 Posts
I cannot see the squareheads doing a magazine check its to the point of being silly. Thats why this law is insidious and unconstitutional. This law basically puts us back to 100 year old tech.
I'm still shaking my head that this is happening! Does anyone in NYS actually feel safer?

So while I understand why you can't see them doing mag checks at the ranges, when you think about it in light of all the craziness this week, is it really that much of a stretch? With all the geniuses openly talking about how to circumvent the law on open forums like this one, I wouldn't put it past Andy to have the State Police actively check and make some examples.

Meanwhile, all the gang bangers and street thugs are raising glasses of champaign to their now safer hunting grounds.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts