Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it. After about 2000 rounds I got up the nerve to field strip my MK III. Disassembly and a complete cleaning took about 45 minutes working slowly and meticulously. After all it was quite dirty. How bad can reassembly be?
I watched the Ruger Tech Tip on reassembly by the young guy with no personality and had no luck. Every time I went to replace the bolt it refused to lock into place. Then I remembered that they had a newer reassembly video by another Ruger Technician. Magic! I had it back together in about 5 minutes. I followed the video slowly and his advice differs in that he suggests you hold the gun in your left hand and pull the trigger a few times before trying to seat the bolt. Those of you who own this pistol know what I'm talking about. I just thought I'd pass along this info since the field stripping on this gun is a bear.
Due to insomnia I usually am up quite early and can clean and put away my guns before the wife wakes up and possibly notices the guns that I haven't yet admitted to buying. LOL

·
Winter is coming
3,527 Posts
Just do EXACTLY what the manual says. Tip her up when they say, point her down when they say. It really does make a difference, once you do it a time or two it's really not so bad. First time can be bit... disconcerting though.
Most of the "issues" are in reassembly, they come apart easy enough.

Reactions: NYPD13 and WHDPC113

·
Pistol Expert
789 Posts
After many many many years, I still find myself flipping through the original manual for my Mark II which automatically opens to page 20 (Reassembly). Simply follow the steps provided by Ruger, it will go back together every time without issue. After all these years you would think Ruger would have redesigned that little trouble making toggle.

·
Winter is coming
3,527 Posts
After many many many years, I still find myself flipping through the original manual for my Mark II which automatically opens to page 20 (Reassembly). Simply follow the steps provided by Ruger, it will go back together every time without issue. After all these years you would think Ruger would have redesigned that little trouble making toggle.
LOL. Totally understand. The Ruger manual is the only one that stays out of the file folder and close to hand in the desk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.