Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Team Infidel
2,082 Posts
The video is horrifically done. Holding the part up to the camera with the open garage door in the background. Really?

Thanks for posting though. This mod is so simple a couple of pics showing what to do is easier to understand and clearer. Search and you'll find them.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
It's the easiest mod to do!!! Why wouldn't you do it?
  • You don't own a Dremel or similar tool.
  • Get it just a little wrong and it won't work right. You'll have to replace it anyway.
  • It's easier just to replace the part.
  • The original bolt hold-back actually makes-quick cleaning the bore (without disassembly) a little easier because the bolt doesn't keep closing every time you push it with the rod.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
  • You don't own a Dremel or similar tool.
  • Get it just a little wrong and it won't work right. You'll have to replace it anyway.
  • It's easier just to replace the part.
  • The original bolt hold-back actually makes-quick cleaning the bore (without disassembly) a little easier because the bolt doesn't keep closing every time you push it with the rod.
A 10$ dremel from harbor freight is what I used. You can also use a metal file. If you take it slow, there really is no room for error. All you are really doing is removing a lip, until it's flush. A monkey can do it. Plus working on your own guns is way cooler than buying parts.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
A 10$ dremel from harbor freight is what I used. You can also use a metal file. If you take it slow, there really is no room for error. All you are really doing is removing a lip, until it's flush. A monkey can do it. Plus working on your own guns is way cooler than buying parts.
But it has to be a New World Monkey (opposable thumbs).

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Well you asked for reasons not to, and I gave you some.

There also must be a reason Ruger hasn't changed the rifle over the past 50 years.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
All this, just to save one from pushing in a button. I've got more important things to do with my time...LOL

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
First let me say I won't be making the modification, I like to keep my guns original (as is) but after trying to release that bolt release may times and cursing it a few times I can understand why some would opt to adopt.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
All this, just to save one from pushing in a button. I've got more important things to do with my time...LOL
All it took was one weekend trying to teach a 7 year old to operate that Rube Goldberg mechanism before I changed mine. Especially when first starting out, only one or two rounds in each magazine. We spent more time working on the bolt operation than we did working on shooting fundamentals.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have a 10/22 take down and the bolt release has to be the stupidest design ever and has caused more jams than any other rifle.

I have a Marlin which cost 1/2 the price and it never gave me a problem.

The Ruger does have digital navy camo furniture and a stainless barrel ...kinda the reason I bought it.

The marlin is a far better rifle.

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's one good reason to do the mod: When your effing almost new rifle refuses to release the effing bolt despite pushing pulling and mashing the effing button!
Most important reason is it only takes one hand to release the bolt when prone instead of leaning on your elbows and using two hands. Much safer.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.