Long Island Shooters Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Anybody familiar with the story of the Indian Chief (i.e., native American) who set a record by shooting something like 40,000 consecutive wooden blocks out of the air without a single miss? I assume that also means no misfires, which is even harder to believe, no matter what ammo you're shooting. He did it over several days and used 10 different Ruger 10/22s. I think they were stock carbines. He had other people assist him by cleaning the rifles every few hundred rounds. And of course, somebody to toss the blocks in the air.

John Huffer

In 1987, at the age of 50, John "Chief AJ" Huffer shot 40,060 consecutive 2½ inch square pine blocks over a period of 8 days without a single miss, shooting blocks he himself tossed into the air, for 14 hours a day. Huffer accomplished this using 18 .22 Long Rifle Ruger 10/22 rifles, which he cycled through as assistants loaded them for him. Huffer also markets a special "Chief AJ" branded Daisy BB gun, based on a modified model Huffer uses for daily practice, and an instruction manual and video for his style of point shooting.[sup][8][/sup][sup][9][/sup]

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Alright sweet little work with the dremel and I now have an auto bolt release. Check!

Also threw some loctite and ductatpe on the end of the pins, hopefully that will help hold the pins in place. I'm now in the market for a new extended mag release. I realized that if I muscle my archangel ext mag release too much, it throws off the spring and locks it in place. Maybe a metal or better quality?

Once my ruger mag comes in, I will try and run her over at the 112 indoor and see what happens.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
My only Ruger 22 is the breakdown and I always run into issues with it as well mostly due to the non intuitive bolt mechanism (push this way to lock, that way to release).

My Marlin 795 (for 1/3 the price) works every time. My gf's 702 plinkster, for 1/4 the price, works better as well.

Im gonna have to get that upgrade for my ruger to see if I can hate it less.

One nice thing about the ruger is they sell a part that will bolt three mags together.

· Registered
1,130 Posts
back when I was a kid, my father and I bought a AMT lightning 22 in stainless, it was a ruger 10/22 clone. I was about 12 at the time. where we lived I was able to shoot all the time, I would go through a brick a week minimum back then. I had thousands of rounds through that gun before it was ever cleaned. it was accurate and would shoot everything i fed it, although I never owned a ruger, all of the AMT parts are interchangeable with the ruger, so I believe it is the same gun, except it is real stainless steel. have had to replace worn parts with ruger parts and have just recently re barreled it with an aftermarket bull barrel. it still shoots great and still eats any brand of ammo. and it worked great with all sorts of aftermarket mags, still pissed I had to get rid of all my 30 round mags and my drum for it.

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
My only Ruger 22 is the breakdown and I always run into issues with it as well mostly due to the non intuitive bolt mechanism (push this way to lock, that way to release).

My Marlin 795 (for 1/3 the price) works every time. My gf's 702 plinkster, for 1/4 the price, works better as well.

One nice thing about the ruger is they sell a part that will bolt three mags together.
Same here . I had the 702 plinkster tactical, which was just the rifle loaded into a cheap AR style polymer stock. The thing functioned very well!

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Here's my 10/22 after a little work and few bucks. Hopefully it shoots and functions better. I've added an Tactical Solutions extended mag release, Kidd extractor, BSA sweet 17 scope,modded a magpul picatiny rail on the stock, and a bipod. Possibly looking into a heavy barrel, nut can't justify dropping another 130$ on her. The trigger group doesn't bother me as much now because I added some loctite on the pins and covered with a little ductatpe. Here she is!

Attachments

· Registered
155 Posts
Only thing I can say with the 10/22 is that it does occasionally seem to bind up and have FTF and FTE after its gotten dirty. If the chamber had any excess oil the dirty soot from the .22s gums it up. At the range I've sprayed the boot and down the tube with brake cleaner and wiped with light oil and went back to shooting with no issues.
Plus there are a lot of upgrade parts like the action pins and stuff that are cheap and may help.

· Registered
942 Posts
I have a line up of 10/22's. I started back in the early 80's. The metal trigger group was far better than the 'newer' plastic crap. The BX TG is a decent upgrade. The volquartsen TG is an amazing upgrade. The newer 10/22's I have that had plastic TGs now have the volquartsen. The BX is ok and is in one of my 10/22s. It's 1/2 (or was) the price of a volquartsen TG, even less get them on sale (pre-covid and bidenflation). All of mine eat any 22lr ammo. All 22lr ammo are not created equal. The cheap bulk box stuff, I've had failure to fire in any 22 I have. And seen the same during AS events. On the other hand, Aguila ammo 22lr ammo, I've run cases of the "Match" ammo, 100% went bang. As others mentioned, failure to feed, jams and or eject.. mags and extractor are the most common issues (if not a cleaning issue). Test with OEM Ruger mags, and replace relevant case handling parts with volquartsen parts. When you handle a volquartsen extractor compared to the latest OEM, it's easy to see the difference.

· Registered
4 Posts

Rossi RS22 is a shooter also. I gave one to my preacher and he is VERY happy with it. Of all the Rossi's I've given as gifts, not one complaint.. Ruger 10/22 is like a barbie doll, one can dress her up any way they like

· Registered
4 Posts
Only thing I can say with the 10/22 is that it does occasionally seem to bind up and have FTF and FTE after its gotten dirty. If the chamber had any excess oil the dirty soot from the .22s gums it up. At the range I've sprayed the boot and down the tube with brake cleaner and wiped with light oil and went back to shooting with no issues.
Plus there are a lot of upgrade parts like the action pins and stuff that are cheap and may help.
I've heard that the marlin 60 shoots better dirty than clean. I don't EVER remember cleaning mine. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of it..

41 - 56 of 56 Posts