Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Banned
3,362 Posts
I have the stainless/polymer eats anything, the only issue I've had was feeding when it was grossly dirty from M22. As mad Russian stated the magwell had some flashing that required a little sanding so the mags slide in and drop free, I dremmeled the bolt release myself and added a black rifle tactical extended mag release.

· Premium Member
1,776 Posts
I use only good clean ammo for all of my firearms and have never had a problem with my Ruger 10/22. Its a fun and accurate rifle to shoot and the only item I replaced was the trigger having installed a Timney Complete Drop In Trigger with a 3lb pull http://www.primaryar...C_p/1022-1c.htm. I also only use Geco .22 ammo and find it to be accurate, clean, and reliable. This grouping using the stated ammo was @ 100 yards at Calverton.

Attachments

· The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,875 Posts
I have a few 10/22s made between 1976 and 2015. They have been very reliable for me. Most of mine are stock, one is heavily modified. I never had any luck with aftermarket magazines. I only use Ruger factory magazines now.

Here's the one I modified for the Wife last year. This rifle was a heavy bench gun we built back in 2002. But the new laws forced us to get rid of the Boyd thumbhole stock and the rifle had horrible balance with the Hogue stock we put on it. So we installed a light barrel.

That's one of my favorite things about the 10/22. Unlimited options for modification.

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you guys for the input. I'm going to give her a good cleaning, mod the bolt release, and try my luck with the ruger mag. I'll keep you all updated.

Anways, the whole pin thing pisses me off, but I guess thats an ongoing issue, so I'm less worried. The stock did hold everything together, but it just freaked me out a little. I was also thinking of dropping 200$ and getting a bull barrel with a Timeny trigger, but one could only dream.

I'm surprised that so many members have more than 1 10/22. I do like the fact that you can custom the crap out of em. Also, anyone have a good recommendation for a extended mag release? I'm running the archangel one and for some reason it's a little off.

All in all, I do have to mention, I have an old BsA Sweet17 scope on it, and at 50yds, I was hitting some prety solid groups. The accuracy is there, just not the function.

· Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Took my 10/22 out to the range the other day and got a headache. Not only does the cheap polymer receiver not hold pins, but my bolt release get stuck, mags don't seat properly, and the thing jams like crazy. Casings were not extracting properly and rounds were not feeding. Does anyone else have these issues? Or did I just get a crappy 10/22. I bought it used a bunch of years ago at Chester's. I never really shot it, and when I did that day, I really wasn't satisfied. I shot an assorted bunch of .22 rounds, using 2 different plastic hot lip mags. I'm assuming it'll run better with the original ruger mag, which was ordered yesterday,
Love it when people know the answers to their questions but still put it out there.

When buying used, you always run a risk, and any modern mass-marketed model can have lemons, despite an otherwise solid reputation as the entry level standard for .22 semi auto rifle. Without examining the gun we can't tell if there are any factory defects or if the past owner meddled with it at some point. I would heed the above advice and eventually you may want to send it to Ruger.

· Premium Member
3,568 Posts
KIDD mag release. It gives you 3 options. Short, extended, and super extended that makes for very quick releases.

Just received my Kidd Trigger assembly with the upgraded bolt release. Also ordered the bolt stop bushing and a new charging handle which came with 3 springs that I can use for running different types of ammo supposedly.

· Registered
5,526 Posts
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0029M0U66/

Some people just take a Dremel to the stock part, but why bother?. This typically sells for no more than $15.
Conversely why spend $10 or $15 when you can take about 20 minutes and do it for free and learn a little about how your gun works. Hell about 10 of those 20 minutes are taking the gun apart and putting it back together which you would have to do with the replacement part anyways.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
never had a problem with mine. eats everything but i do recommend ruger mags. just ordered a couple more on sale so eight of them should hold me for now. hate to reload at the range if i can avoid it.

i'm actually looking for another 10/22 on the cheap I can put into a boyd stock.

· Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
never had a problem with mine. eats everything but i do recommend ruger mags. just ordered a couple more on sale so eight of them should hold me for now. hate to reload at the range if i can avoid it.
NYS law: It's illegal to have loaded magazines and the rifle in the car!

· Premium Member
656 Posts
I have had my 10/22 for 30 years andnever had a problem. The key is making sure that the rifle is clean and well lubricated. Mine likes to run wet. I clean my rifles every time I shoot so my 10/22 looks brand new and shoots like a champ. Completely disassemble it and clean it thoroughly,then lube it well and try it with Ruger mags. You may have a lemon but don't give up on it itis a wonderful rifle.

· Banned
19,459 Posts
I have a bunch of the clear Ruger 10 rounders, you could borrow a few for testing. Is the trigger group polymer? I could run a light knurl on one end of the pins for you as well- that'll keep them in place. The bolt catch is, well, you gotta get the hang of it, mod it, or buy an aftermarket one. Federal (blue box now) runs fine, is cheap, a bit dirty though. Thunderbolt and golden Bullet are the only two I know of that the 10/22 does not like, plus the Colibri primer-only rounds, stay away from those.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Like any make of gun, if its back in a gun store's rack, its usually for a reason. The original owner didn't want it anymore, and sometimes its because its a lemon.
Hence the reason I'm loath to buy a used even if it's a great price.

· Super Elite Paid Member
623 Posts
I have two 10/22's an older one from the 1980s and a takedown that is around a year old. They both run flawlessly, only issue I had was with the original mag from the older one needed the spring tweaked a little after 15 years of use.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts