Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 10/22 out to the range the other day and got a headache. Not only does the cheap polymer receiver not hold pins, but my bolt release get stuck, mags don't seat properly, and the thing jams like crazy. Casings were not extracting properly and rounds were not feeding. Does anyone else have these issues? Or did I just get a crappy 10/22. I bought it used a bunch of years ago at Chester's. I never really shot it, and when I did that day, I really wasn't satisfied. I shot an assorted bunch of .22 rounds, using 2 different plastic hot lip mags. I'm assuming it'll run better with the original ruger mag, which was ordered yesterday,

· Sifting Through the Ruins
8,066 Posts
Like any make of gun, if its back in a gun store's rack, its usually for a reason. The original owner didn't want it anymore, and sometimes its because its a lemon.

· Premium Member
7,048 Posts
The Butler Creek Hotlips magazines generally get bad reviews so they might be the cause of the feeding problems.

The pins can tend to slide out while I am reassembling it, which used to really frustrate me, but I have gotten used to that,

As for the FTEs, mine would have some of these if it wasn't well lubed or was very dirty. A new Volquartsen extractor for about $10 helped a lot as well.

Mine does well with most standard to high velocity ammo but hates Federal Game Shock (FTEs) and Winchester M-22 (duds and FTEs).

As for the bolt release getting stuck, the factory bolt release is a bit awkward and needs to be pushed up at the proper angle to release the bolt. Many people (myself included) install an aftermarket auto bolt release that releases when you pull the charging handle all the way back. It is much better.

· Registered
3,131 Posts
The Butler Creek Hotlips magazines generally get bad reviews so they might be the cause of the feeding problems.

The pins can tend to slide out while I am reassembling it, which used to really frustrate me, but I have gotten used to that,

As for the FTEs, mine would have some of these if it wasn't well lubed or was very dirty. A new Volquartsen extractor for about $10 helped a lot as well.

Mine does well with most standard to high velocity ammo but hates Federal Game Shock (FTEs) and Winchester M-22 (duds and FTEs).

As for the bolt release getting stuck, the factory bolt release is a bit awkward and needs to be pushed up at the proper angle to release the bolt. Many people (myself included) install an aftermarket auto bolt release that releases when you pull the charging handle all the way back. It is much better.
Thanks for the info! I'm 90% sure it's the mags that caused a lot of the feeding issues. I bought them when supposedly 10rd mags were suposed to be banned, and figured is give em a try.

The issue with the pins is ridiculous. I actually ment the trigger assembly, not the receiver. Anway, I used a center punch and a lighter then covered them with ductape, which pretty much solved the issue, but I've never seen pins slide out so easy.

I kno the .22lr is a dirty round, and I was shooting the dirtiest 555 bulk pack. My old 80$ marlin 60 cycles 10x better. I will try the cci mini mags (if I ever get my hands on any).

And for the bolt release, I was contemplating hitting it with the dremel. I heard its real easy to make it an auto bolt, but also a 10$ part wouldn't break the bank neither.

All in all I'm just curious as to why the 10/22 gets so much praise. I had a marlin 702 that functioned a lot better, but I turned to the 10/22 because of the customization factor ( prior to SAFE)

· Premium Member
3,775 Posts
I pulled a 40 year old marlin 60 off a rack and it's been a love affair since that day.

· Premium Member
2,394 Posts
There are some good after market parts that can solve your problems.Ruger mags are the way to go. And take a look at Kidd innovative. They have trigger pins to solve your pin problem. .It's worth the look if you want to keep your 10/22.

· Registered
5,526 Posts
As others have said, buy a Volquartsen Edge Extractor which will help with the FTE greatly. Do the bolt release mod with a dremel or buy one for another $10. To release the bolt in the meantime, pull back the bolt and push up on the bolt release lever and let go of both at the same time, the bolt should slide forward no problem. The trigger group pins should all be held captive once the group is trigger group is placed into the action/stock, is this not the case?

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Just picked up a 10/22 last year brand new, had it out to the range only once with factory mag. and CCIs. no problem.
The pins being so loose does kinda bug me.
I have two model 60s, so far I can go either way, will let you know more after I use the 10/22 more often.
As far as the bolt release on the 10/22 I found it works much better if you turn the rifle upside down with the mag. facing up.

· Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
I have two. One is a "pre-ban" with a wood stock and carbon steel barrel. Great rifle, shoots well, but doesn't really like ammo that's not copper plated but doesn't complain too much about what I shove in the magazine.
The other one has a stainless barrel and a polymer stock. That one has a few issues like excess flashing in the magazine well that makes removing the magazine a PITA. Otherwise it's a great shooter that in the right hands shoots better than I can.
I have yet to make any modification to either, except for a nylon recoil buffer in the older rifle. The plastic alleviates the clang of the bolt slamming into the steel recoil pin the receiver. Hopefully it will allow the aluminum receiver to live longer.

· Registered
5,062 Posts
I had a never fired "pre-ban" 10/22, a Marlin 60, and a Henry lever. Sold the 10/22 when SAFE was about to come out as I believed, and still do, that the only advantage to the Ruger was all the mods. I felt the Ruger was the least accurate of the three.

· OnTargetGuy
1,510 Posts
Yes 1022's are temperamental they only like Ruger mags. You need to shoot 36 or 40 gr ammo and no subsonic, anything lighter and you will have cycling problems. As stated earlier you cant go wrong with a new extractor and mag release. I have 2 of them for 20 plus years so I have felt your pain!

· Banned
7,497 Posts
I have easily fired off 3,000+ rounds down my 10/22 I purchased new last year from SSS. I've been using butler creek and OEM mags with little to no issue. I'd say, clean the hell out of it, lube it, and shoot it. See how it is. It may just need a little love to get it up to a better shooting rifle. The 10/22 (I have several) is a great gun for anyone. And like other popular rifles, there are tons of tricks and mods that can be done. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

· Premium Member
4,060 Posts
i love my 10/22, would shoot it more if it was easier to find 22. try different brand of ammo. mine would jam every 50-60 rounds using remmington in the 500 green box.

i only ever shot using factory mags. so try finding some of those

· Registered
713 Posts
give it a good clean -first some cleaner spray and then lube (you don't even have to take it apart usually) and use only high velocity ammo. regular stuff will not cycle.
The hype is because its usually a sweetheart to own and shoot. Its also the best gun to introduce a shooter to the sport with because its not so hard to manage.
If you are not sure what the hype is, try shooting your K31 or something chambered in a 250 and see what that costs you after a couple of hours in money and shoulder ache.....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts