Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10/22 Takedown or Henry AR-7?
Ruger 10/22 Takedown1583.33%
Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle316.67%

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
2,893 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm voting AR-7 for now. They've been on the market for a while, it packs into itself, it floats, and it weighs as close to nothing as you can practically get.

The 10/22 take down is neat, but not nearly proven enough for me yet. It also doesn't pack into its own stock, or float.

·
Banned
8,963 Posts
AR7s are unreliable as semis. Which really is not that big a deal in a survival or camp hunting situation. 10/22s are more reliable, which is good for plinking.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've had numerous AR7's over the years and they are unreliable, enough said.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Another vote for the venerable (Gee, I love that word) 10-.22.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Another vote for the 10/22 once together you would never know it was a takedown rifle. The ar-7 feels like a toy. South Shore Sportsman had two Marlin Papoose rifles in their used rack yesterday which I have heard good things about but have no experience with.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Ruger all the way .... Race proven !!!!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I'd say Ruger 10/22 but may suggest go for the standard ruger not the take down. you'll pay about $100.00 more for a novelty. Then again it depends on how you intend to use it. Do you really need the take down system? But Ruger IMO.

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
you know the question I have is does the 10/22 takedown really pack that much smaller than a disassembled ruger 10/22. Ditch the barrel band, and hollow out the stock so you can keep a flathead screwdriver in it, and it is easy enough to put a ruger 10/22 back together.

·
Banned
7,713 Posts
10/22. It just feels right. I picked one up from dicks grand opening for $349. What a great gun. Breaks down in seconds busier solid. Watch Hickok45 review of it. You'll fall in love.

·
Lousy Shot
16,248 Posts
I've never owned either but ...

Most of what I've read about the 10/22 takedown is it's a suitable replacement for a standard 10/22 carbine with little or no compromises.

I don't recall the details but I've read things about the AR-7's function, reliability and accuracy that are just unacceptable.

HOWEVER, ... however, the AR-7 is a cool idea and James Bond used one to shoot down a helicopter. And I'm talkin' Sean Connery, not none o' those other wannabes and imitators.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
I have both. (10/22 is not a take down).
Everything I've read about the Ruger takedown gives it a thumbs up.
Granted, my AR-7 is from before Henry started making them.
I have the old CA version.
AR-7 is a complete and utter POS. Oh, it fires, it's a slick idea and yes, I guess it floats.
(I never thought I'd shop a rifle on it's floatability).
But compating the two puts the Ruger miles ahead.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
You should give serious consideration to the Marlin Papoose. I'm more than happy with it's size, weight, packability, and accuracy. Let me know if you want to try it out.

Dov

·
OnTargetGuy
1,525 Posts
1022 all the way! better reliability and more after market parts! the Henry doesn't even feel right in your hands the stock is too big. The Henry is a great idea but it don't work right.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
I would not take the Henry as anything moe than a "survival" rifle, just like I would not go fishing or orienteering with whats' in the handle of a "survival" knife.

But my 10/22 is SS, and I would look for a preban SS 10/22 with the boat oar synthetic stock.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The reason the AR-7 has occasional feed issues relates to the type of ammo used and the fact that the chamber has a sharp edge. Some rounds will snag on that edge. This can be fixed by carefully breaking the edge with a .150 diameter oil stone. Just break the bottom edge of the chamber, where the rounds would snag. Don't remove excessive material. Also, pay close attention to the lips of the magazines, which are critical to guiding in rounds. Protect the magazines. AR-7s seem to prefer CCI mini-mags.

That done, the Henry AR-7 will shoot with great reliability.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts