Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with any of these products, either the free ones or the paid ones?

Occasionally, I have to make a gazillion stops around the island for whatever reason and it seems that I'm always having to backtrack for something I missed.

Yes, my GPS will allow me to enter multiple stops and sort the route, but it is honestly such a PITA that I can never be bothered and end up wondering why I have the annoying POS.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Google maps allows you to create a route from Point A to Point B, then drag the route to various locations on the way. You can immediately see what effect each change has on distance and time.

Some newer GPSs allow you to upload a Google Maps rout into your GPS. I have a Garmin that's about 3 years old but It doesn't have the capability (AFAIK). I hear the newer ones do..

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beat the Traffic & Waze are good for getting around a road closure or a traffic jam. Google Maps might work if I already knew what order I wanted to make the stops.

I think I found my answer: RouteXL

I put in a test route with 14 stops and it cranked out a route that can be saved & linked, emailed, or uploaded to a mobile.

And it's free.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I used Google Earth and FalconView on a Galaxy Tablet in Iraq and Afghanistan, pretty simple once you start playing with it.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Beat the Traffic & Waze are good for getting around a road closure or a traffic jam. Google Maps might work if I already knew what order I wanted to make the stops.

I think I found my answer: RouteXL

I put in a test route with 14 stops and it cranked out a route that can be saved & linked, emailed, or uploaded to a mobile.

And it's free.
Interesting site. I do outside sales all over Long Island and part of Queens. I've put in a bunch of stops for the next few days. I'll see how it goes.

Nice find.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Waze app. It monitors traffic, accidents, police, etc. I found a whole new route to cross Staten Island, expressway stopped, in about 20 minutes. Best of all, it is free.
I was just introduced to Waze a few months ago. It's a neat little app. It tracks the location of other Waze users (including you) to calculate your route based on traffic conditions.

My annoyance with the app is it will make you take 4 turns to save a second so you end up stopping and going a lot. Even though it gets you there quicker, it can increase wear on your vehicle if you use it a lot.

Today was the first time it was wrong. I put in 185 price parkway and ended up 2 miles off target.

Not sure what happened because it is usually spot on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.