Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading this saddens me, but because LIF is filled with riders, I thought is worth a share.
Only made it there once and while it was a hoot, we spent most of the time riding through the Black Hills into Custer and surrounds.
Be careful out there folks.

PITA warning - website has ads to get through.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2015/08/06/sturgis-rally-crash-death-toll/31228309/

One man died Wednesday from injuries sustained in an accident near Sturgis on Saturday.
Keith Reed, 57, of West Allis, Wis., died after a crash on I-90 near mile marker 34 that involved two motorcycles and a car, the Highway Patrol said. The driver of the 2007 Pontiac G4, 40-year-old Marin Malo, lost control of it and drove into the median. He was wearing a seatbelt and had minor injuries.
While slowing down to avoid hitting the Pontiac, 58-year-old Wade Rent was rear-ended by Reed's motorcycle. Rent and his passenger, 57-year-old Ruth Rent, sustained minor injuries in the crash. Both are from Pleasant Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada.
No one was wearing a helmet.

The Highway Patrol said 10 people have died in crashes during the Sturgis Rally. The rally officially ends Sunday.
The Highway Patrol has made 150 DUI arrests, 157 misdemeanor drug arrests and 65 felony drug arrests. Authorities have also seized $18,233 in cash and seized 12 vehicles. There have been 54 non-injury crashes and 114 injury crashes.

Previous fatal accidents at Sturgis 2015
- At 3:35 p.m. Tuesday, Michael Weissman, 44, of Glendale, Ariz., was driving northbound with a passenger on US Highway 385 at the Sheridan Lake Fishing Pulloff. As the group he was riding with started to turn into the Sheridan Lake Fishing Pulloff, Weissman lost control of his motorcycle. Both the driver and passenger were thrown from the motorcycle. The passenger, Destiny Smith, 31, also of Glendale, Ariz., was thrown into the southbound traffic lane where she was hit by another motorcycle. Smith was killed. No helmets were used and alcohol was not a factor.

- Gregory Bullard, 45, of Fort Collins, Colo., died after being thrown from his motorcycle one mile south of Lead on Friday, July 31. He was riding a 2005 Harley-Davidson on U.S. Highway 14A when he lost control going around a curve at 6:11 p.m. He hit a signpost and was transported to Deadwood Regional Hospital, where he died of his injuries. He was not wearing a helmet.

- An Ohio man died in a crash Saturday, Aug. 1. The Highway Patrol said William Carter, 65, of Seville, Ohio, was driving a 2001 Harley Davidson Softail motorcycle northbound on Canocker Canyon Road south of Galena Road when his motorcycle left the road while navigating a curve. He was not wearing a helmet, and he died at Sturgis Regional Hospital. Alcohol is not believe to be a factor.

- At 11 a.m. Sunday, a motorcyclist died after a GMC Sierra ran into her in a construction zone west of Murdo. Rhonda Denato, 49, of Ottumwa, Iowa, was thrown from the motorcycle and later died. The driver of the Sierra, Randall Miller, 55, of Mount Vernon, was arrested on charges of DUI and reckless driving.

- At 2:18 p.m. Sunday, a Kansas City man died after crashing his 1959 Chevrolet Corvette into a cable guard rail in the median on Interstates 90 at mile marker 71. Archie Smith, 73, died, and his passenger had serious but non-life-threatening injuries. Alcohol and speed were not factors.

- A motorcyclist from Seattle died after hitting a horse trailer that was turning left on Highway 44 near Interior. Brian Ware, 51, was wearing a helmet when he died, and his passenger received serious but non-life threatening injuries.
- Early Monday, a motorcyclist died in Sturgis after crashing into a wooden fence in a residential yard. Todd Hay, 47, of Deland, Fla., was riding on Middle Street when his motorcycle left the road and struck a fence pole. Several people were asleep in tents in the yard, but none was injured.

- Passenger Rose Ann Richard, 63, of Belfield, N.D., died from injuries she sustained Monday when the motorcycle she was riding on collided with a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix on Interstate 90 three miles west of Sturgis. Richard and the driver of the motorcycle, 63-year-old Roger Richard of Belfield, N.D., were both thrown from the motorcycle. Roger Richard had serious but non-life-threatening injuries. The driver of the Pontiac, 19-year-old Nickolas Hartwell of Rapid City, was arrested for DUI, zero tolerance and reckless driving.

- In Custer State Park on Monday, John Rowlett Jr. of Wichita, Kan., died when he lost control of his motorcycle on South Dakota 87 at around 4 p.m. The 42-year-old collided with a rock and his motorcycle landed in a ditch. Rowlett was not wearing a helmet and died as a result of his injuries.

· Registered
889 Posts
It's always bad out there. I've been out twice, and am going again in '17. Between the animals, drunks and generally bad drivers, there's always lots of accidents.
I do the sightseeing/cruising trip also, Badlands, Custer, Devils Tower; I avoid the 'party' scene and campgrounds, and am usually parked for the night by sundown.

· Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Thanks for the share P&M.

There's a certain level of risk and, as the MSF put it (or did), you are "exposed".

We just recently lost our President, an experienced rider, retired NYPD and all-around great guy, on Sunrise Hwy.

As I told my wife shortly after - This is who I am and though I don't like these things, I have to accept it. If I wanted safe I'd have gotten a Volvo.

Paul
Patriot Guard Rider
Sergeant at Arms, NYC - LI Victory Riders

· Registered
7,861 Posts
Helmets save lives!
While I'm against mandated helmet laws and riders should have the right to to ride without one I certainly won't.
It was back some 30 years ago I was young and riding my almost new CB1100F briskly with a buddy on his CB1100F in a competition of speed if you will. A curve and an oil slick on the road led to me laying it down at 70+ mph. I was lucky and only fractured my left arm and some road rash but looking at my helmet it was obvious to see how much damage there was to the helmet. I was slamming around like a rag doll throw out a car window. If I wouldn't have died instantly I'm certain I would have died soon after or lying in a coma for however long until the Grim one would appear.
Always hate to hear of bike deaths and I've witnessed one first hand in my riding days. It was an horribly unsettling thing that is imprinted in my brain and changed the way I rode after. Be careful out there.

· moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I LOVE riding without a helmet when I'm in free America and the weather is right for it, it's hard to deny that helmets do indeed save lives.
This is an old - think late 70's - pic of my RS right after I pulled it out of the gully I went into and were it not for the full face Shoei I had on that day, I might be typing this with my nose.

Attachments

· Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Thanks for the info, PandM,
I've ridden the Black Hills/Sturgis/Deadwood/Badlands/Devil's Tower, etc. a couple of times, but NOT during Sturgis. We purposely avoid that event at all costs. We much rather have the roads to ourselves then to share it with 100,000's of motorcycles.

I've been known to shed my helmet - often - when riding in places like Utah and Montana, but as I get older, I wear it more than I don't in those states.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,303 Posts
seems that most were rider/driver error. I think some get too comfortable(distracted) with the openness of the terrain and miscalculate turns, etc.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Do a bit of riding each yr.... About 8k. Do sev longer trips to rally' groups and some group rides

My buddies and I have simple rules , drinking yes, but at end of day when parked and group rides are limited to 5 or less.
Drinking is obvious, groups over 5 usu have logistic problems which actually increase poss crashes.

As a PS, ATGATT

· Registered
206 Posts
I have never made the trip there. Would like too, but I do wear a helmet always... It is a carry over from riding motor cross back in the late '60s early '70s I rode competitively. This was not the moto Xross you see in stadiums today.. Texas also had a mandatory helmet law for a long time. I still like a full face Bell type helmet, but some tomes I ware a football style or a brain bucket. If I ride with my fellow Gipsy Motor Cycle Club I wear the brain bucked. http://fortbendgypsy.com/FortBend/Home.html

· Registered
8,382 Posts
Sad to read all the reports of accidents and deaths. Whether or not a helmet would have saved a life I don't know but I wear one all the time and as Gun Guru said, the minor accidents I've had and the damage done to the helmet convinced me to wear on all the time.

I avoid riding in groups except with a few riders I've known for a long time and trust they know what they are doing. I'm sure events like Sturgis can be a blast but in my mind the risk multiply greatly with the increase in the number of riders and abuse of alcohol and drugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.