Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So I got myself a Rossi M92 in July. I like it for what it is, a cheap lever action fun 20" rifle that I can push both 38 special and 357 magnum through it. After watching a ton of videos on YouTube about it, I decided to break it all down and look into the bad smithing I saw so much of on YouTube. Man, were they right! The parts are sooo rough, and the bolt was rougher than the craters on the moon! Check out the attached photos.

Some of the rough surfaces on the parts that slide are actually cratered below the surface of the contacting parts! So they technically don't even make contact!!! I spent a few hours sanding and polishing the parts as best I could, removing any flashing (yes flashing!) and making contacting parts as smooth as possible, and removing the blueing in the process.

Now that parts are 100% better, but not perfect yet. I am able to use the lever with my pinky now, so it is much better, but still, the springs need to be changed out for smoother operation. Forgot to snap a photo of the bolt before putting it back. Though the polished photos look rough, I did not want to sand and polish the parts too much and have a fit problem. To the touch they feel fine and with grease in there, they are a huge improvement. Do you guys think I should reblue the parts?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Now that they are nice and smooth and shiny, to keep them that way I suggest you plan to avoid oxidation of the exposed metal. If the oil/grease stays in place, that should be an oxidation barrier. I don't have any experience with do-it-yourself 'cold' bluing (looks like 'hot' bluing is done at temperatures above the boiling point of water, so not likely simple for DIY), but I'm thinking any treatment which 'passivates' the surface to inhibit further oxidation (bluing is also an oxidation process - I put Naval Jelly on some partially rusted blued steel and it took of the rust AND the blue, too) is a good preventive step.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Did you follow the Marauders video that one seems to be the best I run my 92 in cowboy action shooting and I run it hard and fast with out on problem since I slicked it up. I did the springs and it made a huge difference in the gun.
Run it at the range then break it completely down and clean it out you will find a bunch of crap in there all the 92s I slick up for friend seem to gunk up after you run it the first time.
Cold blue evert ing at this time and all should be good.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Do you know it it is a new production Brazil-tech or older Rossi cause the older ones need a lot of love compared to the new tooling Brazil-Techs.
Did you do any polishing to the receiver cause you may find there is a couple of burst in there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do not know the manuf date off hand (but it is Brazil-tech), would have to look, but the trigger housing part had a 2003 date on it. No way this rifle is that old though. Anyway, I am awaiting the spring kit from Steve's guns, should have it in a week or so. My main concern is keeping the guts rust free.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after installing all the Steve's Gunz springs, including the magazine spring, new stainless follower, sanded and polished down the metal parts that required it, the Rossi is born again hard! I cant believe it. I even changed out the safety on the rifle. Only thing left to do is change out the sites. This I have never done before. Anyone have any advise? I am planning on changing out the stock sites for new fiber optic ones, but I have never changed sites out before. Special tools required?

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
oh no! you just gave me another project!

Reactions: PanzerBill

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
So after installing all the Steve's Gunz springs, including the magazine spring, new stainless follower, sanded and polished down the metal parts that required it, the Rossi is born again hard! I cant believe it. I even changed out the safety on the rifle.
How long did it take you to do it? Did you need any special tools?

I've been thinking of doing it on mine....can you post a link to the parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tonto, it was a process. Actually it wasn't that bad, but you need patience and some good YOUTUBE links. I found one video that was excellent. He broke the gun down, showed what you needed to do. Before you do, make sure you have a dummy round (snap cap). Dude in the video used a live round. I bought the items recommended. Some sand paper of different grit (for metal, not wood or drywall), metal files, some good metal polish, and the rest of the tools I had (small mallet and hammer, screw drivers, work bench etc).

Watch the video first. the YouTube guy that had the video is Neutered10mm. He has great videos, from smithing to loading to shooting. Just remember, use a DUMMY round, forget that live round poop. That is how accidents happen.

The springs are from Steve's Gunz. Look that up on Bing or Google and go to his site. I bought the different springs and the safety replacement, hated that safety, so the replacement is just a metal stud, does not function as safety and as a lever action, you don't really need one.

Also bought the stainless mag follower and the stainless steel spring for the magazine. He sells a package of a few springs and a video, get that one along with the other springs you wish, its helpful. It's a new gun now. Parts aren't as tight anymore due to the sanding and polishing. My thumb doesn't hurt anymore when I load it as I filed the gate a bit, so now its smooth. Its a new gun really.

I took it to the range this past weekend (Calverton) and fired over 50 rounds of .158 gr 38 special, 0ver 50 rounds of .158 357mag and a bunch of ammo I made, my first batches of 38 and 357 mag, all .158 gr with ZERO problems. I am by no means an expert at messing with guns, but I am good at tinkering, and learn fast. It's not that hard if you do the right research. PLENTY of vids on line. Hell, that's how I learned to make my own rounds...and with a little help from the fellas here!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
" Only thing left to do is change out the sites. This I have never done before. Anyone have any advise? I am planning on changing out the stock sites for new fiber optic ones"

Nice job. Have you considered the rear peep sight (fits into the old safety lever) that Steve's gunz offer. He also sells a fiber optic front sight for the R92.
I would say a front sight pusher is the ideal tool the job (but you might get away by using a brass punch. Be careful.)

Adjustable Bolt-Mounted Peep Sight Safety Replacement

Starting at: $59.95

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Maki,

yes, I saw that actually. I decided against it. I bought the fiber optic sites, red in front, green in back, now to just change them out. You have a link to that site (pusher) removal tool?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
So after installing all the Steve's Gunz springs, including the magazine spring, new stainless follower, sanded and polished down the metal parts that required it, the Rossi is born again hard! I cant believe it. I even changed out the safety on the rifle. Only thing left to do is change out the sites. This I have never done before. Anyone have any advise? I am planning on changing out the stock sites for new fiber optic ones, but I have never changed sites out before. Special tools required?
Marble Arms Peep Tang Site FTW. Adjustable for windage and elevation without tools.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Nice work! I noticed the same texture and craters on my mossberg500 bolt and slide. What the heck is it? At first i thought it was some sort of spray paint. I need to do some polishing myself!
It looks to me like metal didn't completely fill the entire volume of the die. It's supposed to go beyond where the final dimension is machined.

That's pretty bad. Those parts should be rejected and scrapped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.