Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this thought it was worth sharing with everyone on the board since I never saw it before I'm sure others haven't either.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Great words spoken by a great man and hearing them today, looking out at our country as it now stands, makes me profoundly sad, to know far too many would mock, even laugh at and disparage them.

·
Banned
796 Posts
What he says about the heroes is correct, but his reasons about why our country was so successful is a bit misleading. He conveniently neglects to mention how we had the economic advantage of free labor from slavery for a few hundred years, followed by another hundred years of oppressive labor conditions (up until the rise of unions) that lead to a favorable climate for industry. He also didnt speak about how we bombed all of our industrial competitors into rubble after both world wars.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Sometimes we need inspirational words to remind us that America is the greatest place on earth and worth fighting for at all cost.
There will always be threats to our ideas and goals, missteps and challenges. This is the time for good men to rise up and defend what so many others gave all to protect.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
What he says about the heroes is correct, but his reasons about why our country was so successful is a bit misleading. He conveniently neglects to mention how we had the economic advantage of free labor from slavery for a few hundred years, followed by another hundred years of oppressive labor conditions (up until the rise of unions) that lead to a favorable climate for industry. He also didnt speak about how we bombed all of our industrial competitors into rubble after both world wars.
And Europe and the rest of the world didnt have free labor either?

·
Temp. self-imposed ban.
4,410 Posts
What other society did not have free labor in the same time period which did not follow by oppressive labor condition? Why you can never admit to the American exceptionalism? Every country had its dark days. The US is the only country that went to war with itself over it. I have lived under "other" system and am familiar with life on other continents and in other countries. I mean I have LIVED it not thought by some liberal d-bag as part of his captive audience, and I can tell you that this is the place to be. I just can't stand it when people try to blame America for the world's problem while diminishing her achievements and advancement of human condition.

·
Supreme Pontificator
6,971 Posts
You conveniently ignore the fact that northern states eclipsed southern states economically during the same time frame in which they were eliminating slavery within the confines of their own states. You also ignore the fact that cheap labor bordering on slavery existed in Europe, as did as system in which upward mobility was virtually non-existent. As for bombing our indusrial competitors, we expended a considerable amount of money rebuilding nations that were both friend and foe after the Second World War. Absent our generosity neither Germany nor Japan would be among our economic competitors today.

·
Temp. self-imposed ban.
4,410 Posts
A bit of a stretch but I see you point. My example is Income & Property taxes. All things that could be changed or controlled if people would wake up and get this country back on track.
Nope. Don't see any point. Minimum wage is just another thing that is fed to the sheep buy the Democrat scam. "Look! We care about you! We mandate the businesses to pay minimum wage!". Every time the minimum wage is raised, someone gets either fired or downgraded to part-time. I employ people, I pay them as much as I can, which is less than what they want but more than what I would like to. Its called "your worth" nobody is making you earn minimum wage. Your skill-set is your only limitation. I pay people based on what they can do not on what school they went to, or what color their skin is. When I came to US, minimum wage was all I could get, without any English, experience, or trade on my own. I was grateful to get that and never ever thought of it as slavery. Nobody made me do anything I did not want to do. I did my best working for someone and was recognized for that. Every job I held, I never thought of my boss to be my master. And I can guaranty you I was never thought of to be someone's slave. There is no slavery in the US. Know what you are talking about. Want to see slavery - go to Cuba, China and the like. Here you have a choice. Even if you can't recognize it. As far as property and income tax go, I despise what they do with our taxes they collect from us. But I understand that taxes are unavoidable. I do not consider it slavery even though, I have to work 5.5 months a year to pay them. If we as society are stupid enough to elect our own tyrants who just waste our money while calling our employers, (people who sign our paychecks) slave masters, then we deserve what we get.

·
Banned
796 Posts
As for bombing our indusrial competitors, we expended a considerable amount of money rebuilding nations that were both friend and foe after the Second World War. Absent our generosity neither Germany nor Japan would be among our economic competitors today.
Absolutely. We did rebuild them. I believe that shows us to be extremely shortsighted. Our greedy corporations were only interested in a short term quick profit. Our corporations didnt rebuild our former enemies' industrial complexes for free. They got paid to do so. Mostly by our tax dollars. Those corporations didnt put the same investment into our own domestic industrial base, and that is one of the things that led to the death of the steel industry here in America. We could not compete with the ultra modern facilities in Japan. The list goes on and on. The greedy capitalist corporations pay off the politicians to get contracts to rebuild the industries in the countries we vanquish. And those countries (with the help of those same greedy american corporations) a generation later put all our american workers out of work.

·
Supreme Pontificator
6,971 Posts
Absolutely. We did rebuild them. I believe that shows us to be extremely shortsighted. Our greedy corporations were only interested in a short term quick profit. Our corporations didnt rebuild our former enemies' industrial complexes for free. They got paid to do so. Mostly by our tax dollars. Those corporations didnt put the same investment into our own domestic industrial base, and that is one of the things that led to the death of the steel industry here in America. We could not compete with the ultra modern facilities in Japan. The list goes on and on. The greedy capitalist corporations pay off the politicians to get contracts to rebuild the industries in the countries we vanquish. And those countries (with the help of those same greedy american corporations) a generation later put all our american workers out of work.
The Marshall Plan was responsible for rebuilding Europe, not "greedy corporations" and it was aimed at keeping Western Europe out of the clutches the Soviet Union. The reconstruction of Japan was accomplished under MacArthur's pseudo dictarorial reign over that nation after the war and it was not achieved through investment by US corporations. Nor did we build them "ultra modern" facilities. For a long time the words "Made in Japan" were a hallmark of inferior products, especially in electronics. The later success of Japanese corporations was due to their own reinvestment, long term view and corporate philisophy.

·
Banned
796 Posts
You may wish to think it is irrelevant, but comparing the economic success of non slave states versus slave states is an excellent to debunk your assertion that slavery afforded the United States an advantage over other nations. Of course you have totally undermined your previous comments in any case by acknowledging that the north's better working conditions gave it an advantage over the south.
Of course the north had better working conditions. Which do you consider better, working inside a factory, out of the elements, with the help of heavy production machinery, or working basically as a human mule, outside bending over and physically hauling crop bushels and bales all day in all kinds of weather. It has nothing to do with slave vs non slave. The blacks working down south left en masse when they had the choice in the 20th century. If you dont believe the economy of the south was built on slavery, you can look it up.

Just like China does great today with all its wage slaves living in its factories. it would not be the economic giant that it is without that aspect of their economy.

·
Supreme Pontificator
6,971 Posts
Of course the north had better working conditions. Which do you consider better, working inside a factory, out of the elements, with the help of heavy production machinery, or working basically as a human mule, outside bending over and physically hauling crop bushels and bales all day in all kinds of weather. It has nothing to do with slave vs non slave. The blacks working down south left en masse when they had the choice in the 20th century. If you dont believe the economy of the south was built on slavery, you can look it up.

Just like China does great today with all its wage slaves living in its factories. it would not be the economic giant that it is without that aspect of their economy.
You are missing the point entirely. The economy of the south was hamstrung because it was based on slavery. Slavery relegated the south to an agrarian economy that was virtually devoid of innovation and incentive. Not only did the northern states enjoy a pre-industrial advantage over the southern states after those northern states abolished slavery, but the northern states that eliminated slavery first saw the greatest economic growth in the decades prior to the civil war.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
A bit of a stretch but I see you point. My example is Income & Property taxes. All things that could be changed or controlled if people would wake up and get this country back on track.
I don't feel that it's too much of a stretch at all. They work, full time hours, just to be able to survive. To eat, sleep indoors, and keep the lights on. If they stop, they would not survive. It's work or don't exist, so basically forced and unwilling slavery without knowing it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts