Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have placed my order for a DPMS LR-308 AR-10 rifle. My question is what scope to put on it. The gun will be used at the range 99% of the time at 100 and 200 yds. The other 1% is for when the zombies show up. My eye sight is not the best so I will need at least 16x power. My budget is $400. What would you all recommend and why. Thanks all in advance..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Leupold makes a "Mark AR" series of scopes that range from 300-500 depending on the magnification.  Might want to look into them.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,029 Posts
Tucker said:
So I have placed my order for a DPMS LR-308 AR-10 rifle. My question is what scope to put on it. The gun will be used at the range 99% of the time at 100 and 200 yds. The other 1% is for when the zombies show up. My eye sight is not the best so I will need at least 16x power. My budget is $400. What would you all recommend and why. Thanks all in advance..
tucker
have you looked at a 16 power scope field of view at 100 yards might only be 20 feet , i would recommend going to a gun store and looking through scopes and seeing what a 16 power looks like . you might want to look at a variable in the 4 to 14 power range first. 400 is not a lot for quality optics. some of my scopes cost more than the rifle you are buying. look through some glass and ask about eye relief and light transmission. the 308 has a sold bark to it and a good push
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
You might consider looking a a Weaver Classic V24 scope. I have a 6-24 X42 on my AR15 and it is a great scope. Weaver is a top quality scope manufacturer and SWFA has them for right around $350.00
They also have a V16 model
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
If you are on a budget get a hold of SWFA they have alot of good scopes abd prices are very good. I would recomend the super sniper line of scopes they retail for around $300.00 bucks and there a good scope. i have a 20x on my 223 Rem 700 police for 3 years now and have never had one problem with it. It trackes perfectly and has held its zero since I mounted it. just my 2 cents worth.
 

·
moved to greener pastures
Joined
·
10,857 Posts
I own a SuperSniper, ala SWFA. On LaRue mount (sweet).
Very good scope for the $$.
I would reccomend the 10X - not the 16X, unless all you're going to do is benchrest at 300 yds or more.
My $.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I run a Leupold 4-12 Mark 2 with the long range duplex on my RRA varmint EOP.
2 things come to mind. It was way more than 400 bucks and I wish I had
higher magnification. On 12X the crosshairs obliterate a 1" target dot at 100 yds.

Remeber the rule of thumb - pay once cry once. Wait and buy the best you can afford.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,947 Posts
Quoted from Zoomer302
"
Remeber the rule of thumb - pay once cry once. Wait and buy the best you can afford."

+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I would recommend a Leupold Mark AR. I don't think you need a 16x as much as you need to be able to adjust the clarity of the reticule. This scope gives you this ability for less than $400.00. Also don't make the common mistake and purchase cheap mounts on a quality scope.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
I have the mark Ar 6-18x on my varminter - i got it for 500. also Nikon makes the m-223 which i heard alot of good reviews about. I would suggest saving your money a little bit longer and buy a mark Ar or the Nikon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
vortex 6-24x50 crossfire. I ordered mine from SWFA outdoors  $99.95
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,310 Posts
Zen Buddha said:
vortex 6-24x50 crossfire. I ordered mine from SWFA outdoors $99.95
for the record this is the best scope i've ever seen / held.

i picked it up and distinctly remembered being able to see tomorrow with it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
I have a Nikon Monarch 3-10 Illuminated reticle mounted on an AR-10 .308.Solid scope made in Japan, I have it around 8 years negative problems it cost around $600 I believe the newer Nikons are not made in Japan but buy the components from Japan and have them assembled elsewhere to keep cost's down.I also have to give the Sightron S2 & S2 Big Sky high marks in price and quality.I would compare the optics to the Zeiss Conquest.Lifetime replacement warranty.  
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
I believe that the SWFA Vortex Crossfire's we're heavily discounted because of QC issues.SWFA 110% price match is a joke.Midway had cheaper prices on the same scope and SWFA said we don't match discontinued scope prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
hunter won said:
I believe that the SWFA Vortex Crossfire's we're heavily discounted because of QC issues.SWFA 110% price match is a joke.Midway had cheaper prices on the same scope and SWFA said we don't match discontinued scope prices.
Could you post a link? I couldn't find the 6x24 Vortex with the 1" tube. I bought one of these as well and will try it out tomorrow. It looks great for the $$$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
Captk said:
Could you post a link? I couldn't find the 6x24 Vortex with the 1" tube. I bought one of these as well and will try it out tomorrow. It looks great for the $$$.
I would not be concerned about QC, it comes with transferable life time warranty of repair of replacement.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
911 Posts
16 power for 100-200 yards?

on your budget, and for your role, I'd get sample list 10x super sniper and a micro red dot piggybacked or offset as per your preference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,630 Posts
hunter won said:
I believe that the SWFA Vortex Crossfire's we're heavily discounted because of QC issues.SWFA 110% price match is a joke.Midway had cheaper prices on the same scope and SWFA said we don't match discontinued scope prices.
Just back from range. Zero issues. Was bright, clear, magnification was very good and well worth the dollars. on paper and sighted in with CaptK's help in very few shots. Good to go. I have a Zeiss Conquest on my hunting rifle, for dollars this Vortex I can have a few spares for the extra dollars I saved this time around.

Lifetime warranty makes it easy to have no worries.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top