Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to see folks doing such nice work.

The photos alone are worth investigating this link.

http://www.antiquemilitaryshooter.com/2015/08/14/wwii-k98-byf42-matching-serial-numbers/

I found this neglected K98 in an antique shop in Asheboro after church one Sunday. It was part of a collection of WWII memorabilia that belonged to a vetran.
He had stamped his name on the butt stock and I found several pictures of him and his buddy actually holding the rifle during WWII.
The K98 was complete and in original condition (which is VERY rare). I took a risk and spent more than I should to get a chance at cleaning it up.
Using only water, rags, gun oil and brass wool I was able to bring this piece of history back from years of neglect.

I talked the owner down in price because we both knew I was taking a risk on this piece. It could be a diamond in the rough or a sad, ruined piece of history. The rifle was all matching and obviously a vet bring back (due to the lack of import marks and his personal photo album). The owner passed away a few years before the K98 ended up in this shop.
I had my daughter drive us home as I wanted to see what some spit on an old rag might reveal. As giddy as the school girl sitting next to me, I realized that the 'rust' was not rust at all. The owner, who was a sailor, had coated the rifle in cosmoline to keep it safe during his tour of duty. He just never removed the stuff and it picked up all kinds of dust, dirt and spray paint flecks while sitting in his garage for 70 years or so!

Attachments

·
INFIDEL
7,262 Posts
Awsome piece of history..Congrats, I love WW2 weapons both American and German....

·
INFIDEL
7,262 Posts
Not mine!
The pic is the GI who brought it back
I kinda figured that, I didnt think you were 90 years old.... lol

·
Banned
10,933 Posts
That is awesome. That must have taken some elbow grease to restore. Very cool that they have the pictures of the previous owner as well.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Very cool.

I would like to know the back story to the back story; where'd this Sailor get it from.

Reactions: NRATC53
1 - 9 of 9 Posts