·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: SOUTHSHOREROB

·
Registered
508 Posts
Firearms can be complicated devices, and in many cases good customer service can be critical to a good experience for the owner.
Cars are complicated too, but they are commodities these days with many dealers to choose from. For a firearm, I would always choose a LGS over WalMart if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Firearms can be complicated devices, and in many cases good customer service can be critical to a good experience for the owner.
Cars are complicated too, but they are commodities these days with many dealers to choose from. For a firearm, I would always choose a LGS over WalMart if possible.
In some places in America, there is no such thing as the local gun store, but odds are there is a Walmart in reasonable driving distance.
Think outside of NY every now and again!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In some places in America, there is no such thing as the local gun store, but odds are there is a Walmart in reasonable driving distance.
Think outside of NY every now and again!
Excellent point. Just looked it up...Walmart currently has 4,835 stores just in America. I believe I heard or read that they open a new store every 3 days.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
There are more Gun stores in the US than grocery stores. Nearly three times as many Gun stores as McDonald's.

From ABC:
There are more than 129,817 federally licensed firearms dealers in the United States, according to the latest Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives numbers (as of Aug. 1) . Of those, 51,438 are retail gun stores, 7,356 are pawn shops and 61,562 are collectors, with the balance of the licenses belonging mostly to manufacturers and importers of firearms and destructive devices.
For comparison, here are some numbers of other ubiquitous elements of American life:
  • Gas Stations in the U.S. (2011): 143,839 (source TD LINX/Nielsen via National Associations of Convenience Stores, Association for Convenience for Convenience and Fuel Retailing)
  • Grocery Stores in the U.S. (2011) 36,569 (source: Food Marketing Institute)
  • McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. (2011): 14,098 (Source: McDonald's Corporation Annual Report 2011)

Reactions: ProGodProGunProLife

·
moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
Support your local gun stores and manufactuers
I actually was going to pose the question........where are the folks who shop the big box stores and have dug their heels in as to why going to do when they all turn for the sake of PC or profit?
Shop at LGS's? Perish the thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Of those, 51,438 are retail gun stores" and of those 98% have a brain dead guy at the counter, don't have anything worth a dam in stock, and are out of any ammo other than 8mm Lebel. Take a look at the shops on "long island". Without going into names, half of them suck or are charging ridiculous prices. Or stock top end scopes? Or .... whatever. Walmart serves a purpose and its volume shows that they cater to a huge segment of America. I am old enough to remember when Sears, JC Penny stopped selling guns. It did limit a ton of folks in their options.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I have only been in a Walmart once. Have I been missing anything? Except of course the Walmartians. They are classic.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
There are more Gun stores in the US than grocery stores. Nearly three times as many Gun stores as McDonald's.

From ABC:
There are more than 129,817 federally licensed firearms dealers in the United States, according to the latest Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives numbers (as of Aug. 1) . Of those, 51,438 are retail gun stores, 7,356 are pawn shops and 61,562 are collectors, with the balance of the licenses belonging mostly to manufacturers and importers of firearms and destructive devices.
For comparison, here are some numbers of other ubiquitous elements of American life:
  • Gas Stations in the U.S. (2011): 143,839 (source TD LINX/Nielsen via National Associations of Convenience Stores, Association for Convenience for Convenience and Fuel Retailing)
  • McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. (2011): 14,098 (Source: McDonald's Corporation Annual Report 2011)
I'm gonna take the bigger number, the total which we all know includes collectors and big box stores including Walmart.
That makes for .04387 "gun stores" per square mile.
Wouldn't say that's a ton.
I wonder in those number you quoted if the grocery stores included non big corporation stores.
I travel a TON, and the grocery store number seems low.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts

From ABC:
61,562 are private citizens?
That crazy, being more than retailers other than pawn shops, wonder why they separated them as well.
I worked at a pawn shop, and it certainly was retail.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.