Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Line-Pull Method: How to Get Unhooked and Keep Fishing

Article by Joe Cermele

Getting hooked is a rite of passage for anglers. It's going to happen eventually, and I'm not talking about a jab. I mean in past the barb. Now, anytime you get stuck with a heavy-gauge hook, or the hook is planted in your head or face, go lines in and find some professional medical attention right away. But if you've got a Woolly Bugger in your thumb, a crankbait hook in the leg, or a spinnerbait in your arm, there's no need to quit fishing. Here's how to remove the hook sans screaming and get back in the action.

Step 1

Snip the lure or hook free of the main fishing line to get rid of any tension. If possible, detach a treble hook from its lure and clip away any of the hook points that are not stuck in your person. Next, cut a 15-inch strand of line off your reel and tie the ends together to create a loop. This is what you'll use to remove the hook.
Step 2

Double the loop of fishing line, then pass it under the bend in the hook close to your skin. The line should be resting against the hook bend. Push down on the eye of the hook. This raises the point-better aligning it with the hole it made when entering. Now take a deep breath, because next comes the moment of truth.
Step 3

In one quick, sharp tug, yank the line straight back. (This step is often better executed by a fishing partner.) As with a Band-Aid, the faster you pull the less it hurts, often popping right out without causing pain. If the wound is bleeding, apply pressure until it stops. Use antiseptic ointment and

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If its done right only one clean hole I have done it a few times you have to put a lot perisher on the end then pull up and out if done right it will slip out of the same hole with no more damage

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
That snatch method is a good way of dealing with a hook. Usually works better for small hooks/ barbs. Another method is continue pushing the hook thought the skin till the barb is outside and cutting with *****. The more it bleeds the better, puncture wounds often get infected and bleeding helps flush the wound.

A couple years ago I was shark fishing with some buddies at the Linda Wreck. I was rebaiting the hook with a bluefish filet and one if the guys stepped on the wire leader I was working on and it drove the 11/0-12/0 hook right into my Palm, barb buried. I watched it like it was slow motion. Without even thinking I grabbed the hook and jerked it out as fast as I could. I must have reacted so quickly the skin didn't get a chance to tighten up around the hook? I can't explain it really but I was very lucky that day.
We also caught a 240lb blue suit.

·
Registered
721 Posts
cutting those 2 barb needs a very sharp sargent pliers and painful while the other hook is embedded to your finger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts