Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the stock on my 700 and have been thinking about going for a detachable magazine configuration as well. Any pitfalls that I should expect? I've read that there may be a difference in the ADL/BDL actions and the DBM actions that Remington sells. (specifically ADL/BDL have feedramps as part of the action) I can't confirm this because I haven't even cleaned my ADL yet.

I've seen a bunch of different kits like this:
http://www.botachtactical.com/baorbam5dbmm.html

Aside from a kit and a new stock, are there any other things to consider?

If i decide to cave in and go full mall ninja, this stock/platform looks like fun: http://www.xlrindustries.com/evolution.html

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've seen trigger guard kits like the one you have made for the Rem 700 in either my Bass Pro or Cabelas catalog (maybe even both?). That second one is really sweet - but damn that's an expensive stock!

·
Registered
428 Posts
That badger you have listed is good. CDI, R+D precision, and Seekings are others. You should figure out what mags you want to use first. The seekings uses proprietary mags while the others use AIC's.

I haven't heard the best things about the Remington DBM, so if you are going through the trouble of the conversion I would use one of the other ones.

Patience and a dremel tool is really all you need, but a mill would be nice especially if the stock has an aluminum block. The saying measure 2x and cut 1x couldn't be more important here. Although, if you do mess up, chances are your stock will be made out of fiberglass, so a repair wouldn't be the worst.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm usually against the proprietary stuff w/o any clear advantages. Is there any clear front runner in the different kits? I chose that Badger at random w/o any clear research.

That mall ninja stock that I linked to is expensive, but it looks like it has the detachable magazine kit built in which would save me a few hundred.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would call them equal for the most part. The badger is used on the USMC m40A3 so that has to say something, but also increases the price. If you are uncomfortable with the installation (read using aluminum block stock and do not have access to mill) I would go CDI. Jeff, the owner, will do an install for $60 and you will be more then satisfied.

I'm not a fan of those mall ninja stocks, a lot of unnecessary heavy junk IMO. This is after-all a bolt action rifle.

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts
DBMs most likely require some type of inner shaving of the
stock for flush fitting. I haven't had any issues with the one
I've place on one of my Remington 700s:

Wyatt's Trigger Guard & Detachable Magazine Assembly Remington 700
BDL Short Action 308 Winchester 5-Round Aluminum Black

(Click Image To Go To Item Page On MidwayUSA)

Two stocks I can suggest are:

Bell & Carlson Medalist M40 Varmint/Tactical Rifle Stock Remington 700
BDL Short Action with Aluminum Bedding Block System and Adjustable
Butt Plate Varmint Barrel Channel Synthetic Black

Choate Custom Tactical Rifle Stock Remington 700 BDL Short Action
with Adjustable Length of Pull and Cheek Rest Varmint Barrel Channel
Composite Black

Good luck with your mods.

Peace,
GH-07

·
Registered
112 Posts
Remington 700 factory detachable mag set ups are pretty limited. You see them on an occasional hunting rifle set up but you won't see anyone using it on a tactical build. I hadn't heard of a difference between DM actions and ADL/BDL actions but it really doesn't batter because ADL/BDL are the standard.

1) First step is to decide what kinds of mags you want. AICS is the standard and now pretty much all the bottom metal manufactuers (even Seekins) are making an AICS bottom metal. AICS has become the no-brainer option. AICS mags are expensive (especially if you are looking for 10 round long action mags!). There are a few companies making AICS pattern mags now and some of those mags have gotten reputations for being as reliable as AICS. There are other options but nowhere near the versatility of using AICS mags. US military uses AICS mags.

2) Second step is the chose the bottom metal AND stock. Different bottom metal brands require different stock inlets. If you order a custom stock (Manners/McMillan) you can order it inlet for the bottom metal of your choice. Otherwise you have to send your stock out to be inletted for the BM you choose. You shouldn't buy bottom metal until you know what stock you are dropping it into.

3) As far as brand, Badger is the gold standard. Lots of people use it so if you are shopping for a used Micky stock (see Snipers Hide forums) Badger M5 is probably the most common inlet for a mag set up. Also if you looking to sell/trade a stock M5 inlet is easier to move. Badger stuff has big following so if you ever need to sell it retains its value. You will find Badger bottom metal, rings and bases on Marine Corp. sniper rifles which adds to the worship. There are many other good manufacturers though. Seekins has a big following. Their mag release is more AR-like (push buttom) where the Badger style has the paddle behind the mag.

4) Regarding chassis, I think every chassis out there now uses AICS mags. There are a whole load of them on the market and prices range from expensive to insane. The AICS Rem 700 chassis is the most popular but it is ugly as sin. I believe the company that made the chassis for the XM2010 for Remington is now offering a version (improved) for civilan use. I thought the manufactuer was offering a deal on them on the Hide. Best bet before spending $2000 on a chassis is to handle one and make sure you like it. I prefer Fibreglass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello and thank you for all the info on Rem 700 to DBM conversion , I am new to the forum and had just purchased a Rem 700 aac-sd and the info here on this topic was very helpful , Now I have to look into a new stock , thank you Geoff3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.