Long Island Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/02/10/gun-stockpile-arrest-rego-park/

Police seized 15 handguns, two shotguns, more than 45,000 rounds of ammunition and 225 pounds of smokeless gunpowder. They say Shou also had unassembled parts of assault rifles and bulletproof vests. Authorities say he had a license for all but one of the guns.

Prosecutors say Shou was arrested for allegedly "recklessly creating a threat to public safety" by stockpiling the weapons and ammunition.

Police said Shou has no criminal history.

Um... first, I'm interested in finding out about this ONE unlicensed gun. And that is some charge, eh? "recklessly creating a threat to public safety"... sounds like a load of poop right there. But no, no one is coming for your guns.... SMH.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
He would have been found sooner if there had been remote cameras installed.

It's for the children!

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Wonder what led the police to go there?

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
It sounds like the guy is just a legit gun owner based on the fact he has a NYC permit. I hope this is the case and I hope he is rich, pissed off and sues the crap out of NYC for their ridiculous gun laws and ammo storage laws. I doubt we will ever see any more facts about it on the news.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,483 Posts
Is it a NYC "crime," to not have safety locks on your firearms, even if you live alone? Isn't the locked door of the apartment a "safety lock"? This looks like it might be the grounds for another anti-SAFE lawsuit. He doesn't have to be licensed, as an FFL, to manufacture ammo, for his personal use. I didn't see anything, in the alleged list of "crimes," to say he was selling anything.
Gary

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
I don't reload and don't no much about gunpowder, but wouldn't 225 lbs be quite a lot, especially in an apartment?

What type of explosion would it create if it ignited?
Probably less volatile than a gasoline explosion or even a NG leak explosion. Smokeless burns, it doesn't explode like black powder. In a house fire the plastic container would have to melt for the powder to ignite. If the container melts there is no place for pressure to build up thus no explosion can happen. I predict it would react more like a 3-5 second flare up and go away. No concussion or shock wave at all. It wouldn't level a building but it would make one heck of a fireball.

225lb is around 28- 8lb containers. Its quite a bit but for an avid re- loader or someone who is concerned about making it through a long term shortage or apocalypse situation its hardly a lifetime supply especially if loading larger calibers like .308 which would = around 37,500 rounds at 42G per cartridge. Its a lot of powder to justify but its not impossible.

I wait patiently for more facts.

·
Registered
791 Posts
gunpowder burns if kept in the original container only explodes if confined
...and sometimes it don't even burn, without a good crimp. I had a period where I had plenty of powder on my arms after a match.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
in this article says

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/queens-man-arrested-huge-weapons-stockpile-17-guns-article-1.2527173

"Shou was arraigned Tuesday night and charged with first-degree reckless endangerment and third-degree criminal possession of a weapon. He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted of the most serious offense."

criminal possession of weapon?? did he get them legal? is he licensed? so if they want to charge him, it could be just based on the "over the limit" ammo amount. I dont understand this...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.