Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been reloading .308 Win for a while now and want to work up a low recoil round for my father( he has had multiple shoulder surgeries and can't take the recoil to well.). I am planning on using 125 gr bullets. The only powders I have right now are 4064 and unique. I would like to stick to 4064 for all my rifle rounds but will buy another type if I have to. Anybody have a loads or any advice for working a load down? All help is appreciated.

-Dave

· Registered
527 Posts
Hmmm..... I saw 8 grains of Titegroup behind 168 grain head, gets 1,080 fps. Does that qualify? What will be the distance to the target? Is 1000FPS enough to reach it without excessive drop? My experience with handguns is that heavier bullets give a 'less sharp' recoil, so maybe a 240 grain bullet (heavier bullets generally require less powder). I think the bullet drop will become a problem long before you have to worry about the head not clearing the bore.

· Banned
11,831 Posts
So I have been reloading .308 Win for a while now and want to work up a low recoil round for my father( he has had multiple shoulder surgeries and can't take the recoil to well.). I am planning on using 125 gr bullets. The only powders I have right now are 4064 and unique. I would like to stick to 4064 for all my rifle rounds but will buy another type if I have to. Anybody have a loads or any advice for working a load down? All help is appreciated.

-Dave
Which rifle will your Father be using? Also, don't overlook the slip-on and other types of improved recoil pads.

· Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts

-Dave
There are also adapters to use pistol rounds in rifles...almost no recoil at all

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

· Registered
2,144 Posts
My experience with handguns is that heavier bullets give a 'less sharp' recoil, so maybe a 240 grain bullet (heavier bullets generally require less powder).
I have to disagree with this. Heavier bullets will produce more recoil at a given velocity.

Three things that can help:
1. You can increase the weight of the gun.
2. Decrease the velocity.
3. Decrease the weight of the bullet.

Here's a recoil calculator.

http://kwk.us/recoil.html

· Registered
527 Posts
I have to disagree with this. Heavier bullets will produce more recoil at a given velocity.

Three things that can help:
1. You can increase the weight of the gun.
2. Decrease the velocity.
3. Decrease the weight of the bullet.

Here's a recoil calculator.

http://kwk.us/recoil.html
I stand corrected. I mostly reload for power factor, so heavier bullet means lower velocity; same recoil momentum, but different 'feel'. You are right, of course: lighter bullet to achieve desired velocity/bullet drop with less momentum/recoil.

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Questions...

What is he doing with it? Hunting or target
What distance is he shooting max?

I'm working up a .308/100 yd practice load. I'll let you know how it goes.

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Questions...

What is he doing with it? Hunting or target
What distance is he shooting max?

I'm working up a .308/100 yd practice load. I'll let you know how it goes.
right now it will be target practice at 100 yds and probably hunting too. Max distance is 150 yds but we will be shooting 100 yds most of the time.

· Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Different POI vs POA notwithstanding the issue that I see with using one load to practice and another to hunt is will the round have enough energy to produce an ethical kill.
Small calibers do it with speed, large calibers do it with mass, but they also have to be able to deliver enough kinetic energy to kill and not wound.

· Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
right now it will be target practice at 100 yds and probably hunting too. Max distance is 150 yds but we will be shooting 100 yds most of the time.
If hunting is in the picture, I'd find a smaller caliber with less recoil that still has good muzzle energy. I'd be worried about the muzzle energy from a light load .308 for hunting.

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Hodgdon's website list a formula for creating reduced rifle loads using H4895 powder only. http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf If you're going to use these loads for hunting, I recommend you load them with either Nosler Accubond or Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets. You want to make sure the bullet will expand reliably at the lower velocities, and still hold together for penetration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.